A plea for netiquette

Old August 1st 05, 08:32 PM
Mikefule

Default A plea for netiquette

It seems to me that there is a new fashion in this forum for pointing
out spelling mistakes and typos as a way of making fun of people who
have posted something controversial.

We all have different levels of education. Some of us speak different
dialects, or don't have English as a first language. Some no doubt have
specific literacy problems such as dyslexia. Some people are
deliberately spelling in an unconventional way, either for humorous
effect, or because they think it is cool.

Whatever the reason, it's a bit below the belt to make fun of someone's
spelling. For all you know, they could be ten times as good as you at
maths or music, but that just doesn't show up in this forum.

I have a high stress job and come to this forum for a friendly
atmosphere, and a chance to bullsh with like minded folk. Please, let's
keep it that way.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

And if you're really worried about looking stupid, you're already on a
unicycle

davis_e74 talking about helmets.

Old August 1st 05, 09:30 PM
onebyone

This site definitely needs a spell check. Most of my entries are late at
night, next day when I read some of my posts and see the typos I am
horrified (I am carefully checking this one for spelling mistakes)

--
onebyone

Bill Blogs is an alian!
www.municycle.com.au
onebyone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10014

Old August 1st 05, 09:35 PM
cathwood

I agree Mikefule. As long as we all understand what has been written, I
don't think a couple of spelling mistakes matter. I've always been
hopeless with spelling and would certainly lose some of my enjoyment of
posting if I felt that people were 'getting at' my spelling.

Cathy

--
cathwood - Lunicyclist

A thought is just a thought.

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

Old August 1st 05, 10:07 PM
roadkill

speling - dount no wat yur tauking bout.

--
roadkill - Crash Test Dummy

"Anger is like acid that eventually destroys its own container"
roadkill's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9784

Old August 1st 05, 10:09 PM
DustinMichels

Roadkill, dont you mean:

Spelling? Don't know what your talking about...

Sorry

--
DustinMichels - What could possibly go wrong?

-Clink! Screw! Bend! Inflate! Alter Saddle!-
DustinMichels's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10289

Old August 1st 05, 10:18 PM
vanman2004

3 Mac OS X for having universal (heh) spell check.

--
vanman2004 - ...
vanman2004's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9184

Old August 1st 05, 11:20 PM
ChangingLINKS.com

3 Mac OS X for having universal (heh) spell check.
or:
I love the OS X operating system for having a spell checker that works
with most of the programs installed on my computer.

Anyway, your plea for netiquette is in vain.

There are always "grammar Nazis" correcting other people.
There are always guys like you attempting to correct the "grammar
Nazis."
Moreover, there's always a guy like me explaining that there will always
be "grammar Nazis" and their "haterz."

(There are more characters, like the guy that points out that both sides
are "wasting bandwidth" . . .
. . and still more people that point out that bandwidth is not a
concern . . .
. . AND that it wastes more bandwidth to criticize wasting
bandwidth.)

It is the culture of a forum.
You can accept by your silence, or you can accept it by being one of the
characters outlined above.

The bottom line:
Nothing will change.

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

Old August 1st 05, 11:47 PM
john_childs

onebyone wrote:
*This site definitely needs a spell check. Most of my entries are late
at night, next day when I read some of my posts and see the typos I am
horrified (I am carefully checking this one for spelling mistakes) *

There are spelling checkers available for both IE and Firefox.
'ieSpell for IE' (http://www.iespell.com/)
'SpellBound for Firefox and Mozilla'
(http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/)

For the most part posts here are informal communication. For the most
part the posts here are not the things that you would proofread several
times to make sure there are no errors then sent off to another person
to check. That level of checking would be inappropriate and a waste of
time. However, a basic attempt at spelling, grammar and content is
appreciated. I know I have have gotten words like "loose" and "lose" or
"break" and "brake" mixed up at times. A spell checker isn't going to
catch mistakes like those.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)

Old August 2nd 05, 12:51 AM
roadkill

I agree that we don't need to correct spelling or grammatical errors in
another member's post. If the meaning is not understood a simple
question will usually solve the issue.

But, before posting - why not make life easy on everyone and use an
existing program ( such as Word, or even Outlook Express) to formulate
and spell-check your messages? After that, just cut-and-paste into a
thread...

Old August 2nd 05, 02:06 AM
cyberpunk

I taught myself Quantum physics, but I couldn't spell if my life
depended on it ^^. But I'll use open office, to spell check my documents
if its a very relevent post. Where spelling/grammer could make a
substantial diffrence.

I"m just glad you guys can't see my handwriting.....

--
cyberpunk - Become one with the Debian

The following is the fault of a random google search and catboy.

"Baby Laughs : The Naked Truth About the First Year of Mommyhood"

cyberpunk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8923