How do you remove a Pashley wheel?

Old August 2nd 05, 06:57 PM
domesticated ape

Default How do you remove a Pashley wheel?

i'm trying to replace the hub on my dad's Pashley uni, but i can't get
the wheel off!

i took the 4 bolts out of the frame, but the lollipop things do not want
to budge.

i don't know if you even have to remove these, is there a way to
dismantle the hub so the wheel will come off with the lollipops still
on?

cheers in advance to anyone who can help!

--
domesticated ape - born with a tail

experience is something you don't get until just after you need it
domesticated ape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8599

Old August 2nd 05, 08:06 PM
tomblackwood

Here is a thread that might help:

http://tinyurl.com/c5s4h

Here is why I had such a hard time removing the wheel on my son's
Pashley: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuw4...s_muni_two0018

At the end of the day, it will take some force. I used a piece of two
by four and a rubber mallet, and basically whacked the thing until I was
blue in the face. But it eventually came loose.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

"By George! The man's a genius!"
Murde Mental

Old August 2nd 05, 08:12 PM
CrazyUni

why dont you start doing some trials with the bolts out imsure all that
jumping will loosen it up. if it does pop out while jumping a gap, are
you in for a wild ride

--
CrazyUni
CrazyUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10510

Old August 2nd 05, 08:42 PM
Mikefule

By coincidence, I had to do this job today on my Pashley 26 inch MUni.

Remove the 4 nuts and bolts that pass through the bottoms of the fork
legs.

Now, you can try the following.

1) Trap the wheel with your feet, and pull up suddenly on the seat.

2) Stand the uni upside down and stand on the bottom of the seat, then
pull up suddenly on the wheel.

3) Failing that, use a rubber mallet to tap at the bearing holders, a
little bit on one, a little bit on the other, until they come loose.

Today, method (1) worked. In the past, I have had to resort to method
(3).

When you reassemble, use a little oil or grease so that the metal
surcaces of the bearing holders and the forks don't stick together.

It's an irritating chore, compared to the more conventional "main cap"
bearing holders on most unis.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Competing with yesterday to hold off tomorrow.

Old August 3rd 05, 04:55 PM
nickjb

Put some copper grease on there before you reassemble and it'll be
easier next time. Mine took a lot of hammering.

--
nickjb - I've lost a wheel (apparently)
nickjb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1074

Old August 3rd 05, 10:08 PM
domesticated ape

Thanks for all the advice, I still can't get the b*gger off though!

I tried holding the seat, bracing my feet against the axle (the cranks
are already off) and yanking, it just felt like I was going to break the
seat.

I also tried putting the frame in a vice, putting a block of wood
against the axle and walloping it with a big hammer. This just resulted
in a rather dented block of wood, so far I haven't managed to move the
lollipops at all.

It's been very tempting to just take a hacksaw to it, but somehow I
don't it would help!

Old August 3rd 05, 10:55 PM
tomblackwood

domesticated ape wrote:
*I also tried putting the frame in a vice, putting a block of wood
against the axle and walloping it with a big hammer. This just
resulted in a rather dented block of wood, so far I haven't managed to
move the lollipops at all.*

Just FYI, my walloping went on for multiple sessions. It took LOTS of
hard hits over a couple different attempts before I got ANY movement.

The good news is my son is growing faster than the tread is wearing off
his tire. By the time the Pashley needs a new tire, he'll be ready for a
24" and I can donate the Pashley to a school. They can make it a shop
project if they want.

Old August 3rd 05, 11:25 PM
U-Turn

My first removal was a bear too. After that I used lots of grease and
subsequent removals were pretty easy. It's a good, strong design, but
can be a little fiddly. I have replaced the bolts several times from
the hardware store since they seem to strip. I suppose trying 'Grade 5'
(http://tinyurl.com/8xmdn) bolts would be a good thing.

--
U-Turn - Cool water for the flame

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Old August 4th 05, 02:17 PM
Keith

I use a rubber mallet, tapping alternately on one side, then the other.
It usually takes about 5-10 taps on each side to get the bearing holders
out.

As for bolts, definitely go to the hardware store and buy the highest
grade automotive bolts they have. The bolts that came with my Pashley
were very low quality, so the threads got mangled. Since I replaced the
bolts with high quality ones, they have held up very well. Good bolts
will stay tight better than poor quality ones, and will prevent the
frame from cracking because the load will be taken by the bolts instead
of the frame.

Keith

--
Keith - unicyclist
Keith's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7438

rim life.. questions... Ravi Techniques 308 September 6th 05 05:59 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
The Basics of Wheel Alignment and Wheelbuilding Jeff Napier Techniques 338 August 23rd 04 09:17 PM
How to remove rear wheel of Brompton? Tim Woodall UK 2 May 22nd 04 11:46 AM
Attaching rear wheel Roger Zoul General 10 October 21st 03 11:35 AM