Lithium Ion vs NiMh battery

Old October 31st 17, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Lithium Ion vs NiMh battery

On 10/31/2017 12:04 AM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 23:31:18 -0400, Frank Krygowski

On 2017-10-27 08:37,
wrote:
On Friday, October 27, 2017 at 2:10:50 AM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 09:34:38 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 6:09:13 PM UTC-7, John B.
wrote:

Which brings up something I've always wondered about. You
go in the store and there is a very nice battery display
rack with all sorts of batteries. One can only speculate
how long they have been on the rack, or in storage before
being displayed on the rack.

Does the store scrap any battery that has been on the rack
for X months? Years? Or just keep them until someone buys
them?

And which brings up another question - how do you know that
your source is any better?

I don't. In fact I don't even worry about the price of a small
battery. It was just something that came to mind the other day
while I was waiting in line at Home Pro. Right there by the
cash register they had a big rack of batteries, must have been
a hundred of them.

I came across a pile of dead batteries that I had saved when I
was trying to be green before I learned that I had to drive five
miles to dispose of these button cells. They were Sony and
something called Renata. I didn't find any of those Panasonic but
the sheet they come on is unmistakable. I remember tearing the
last two out of that sheet to try to use in the transmitter unit
only to discover them dead.

What was the expiration year on those?

Hell if I know. On the non-writing side there is a 72 on one and a 58
on the other. Since they weren't made in those years that sure
couldn't be an expiration date.

It's on the back of the package, a "Use by" date:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

What impresses the heck out of me is the HP-11C pocket calculator...

Damn, I still miss mine. Even though I've got an HP48G sitting in front
of me.

The heck of it is, the twerp that stole the 11C doubtlessly never
figured out how to use it.

Not all hope is lost:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hewlett-Pac...g/152756750101

I know they pop up there. I don't bid because the company I was working
for at the time bought me a replacement, an HP32S-II. That now lives in
my workshop. And as I said, I've also got the HP48G. Since I'm retired,
it would be silly to buy another 11C. Even though it really was my favorite.

A friend at work had one of those H.P. calculators and I found the
reverse polish notation to almost impossible to work with. An
eccentricity perhaps but " 3 4 5 × - " just didn't seem logical :-)

That's why I said the twerp who stole it probably never figured out how
to use it.

When electronic pocket calculators first came out, there was RPN (by
Hewlett Packard and perhaps one other tiny company) and algebraic
notation used by everyone else. For multiplying 23x79 either is fine.
But RPN is much, much more efficient for complex calculations, the kind
where algebraic notation requires multiple levels of parentheses, or
requires complicated numerators over complicated divisors.

Trouble is, using RPN requires maybe 15 minutes of initial instruction.
People don't like that.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 31st 17, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Not all hope is lost:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hewlett-Pac...g/152756750101

I know they pop up there. I don't bid because the company I was working
for at the time bought me a replacement, an HP32S-II. That now lives in
my workshop. And as I said, I've also got the HP48G. Since I'm retired,
it would be silly to buy another 11C. Even though it really was my favorite.

They are also at Goodwill for 3 bucks
Old October 31st 17, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-10-27 08:37,

wrote:

[...]

eccentricity perhaps but " 3 4 5 в - " just didn't seem logical :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Reminds me of my English teacher who was fond of saying "If you read a novel and say it was stupid, it was you that was stupid, not the novel."

Enter =
Old October 31st 17, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2017-10-27 08:37,

wrote:

[...]

I suspect that was a Hewlett-Packard RPN fan. TI never made an RPN
calculator, AFAIK.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 31st 17, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/31/2017 12:17 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

Not all hope is lost:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hewlett-Pac...g/152756750101

I know they pop up there. I don't bid because the company I was working
for at the time bought me a replacement, an HP32S-II. That now lives in
my workshop. And as I said, I've also got the HP48G. Since I'm retired,
it would be silly to buy another 11C. Even though it really was my favorite.

They are also at Goodwill for 3 bucks

Hmm. Well, if that were true, I'd certainly buy one!

That's probably where mine ended up. I did check pawn shops for a while,
but had no luck.

--
- Frank Krygowski

On 2017-10-27 08:37,

wrote:

[...]

Maybe I am remembering it backwards
Old October 31st 17, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 9:17:03 AM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:

Not all hope is lost:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hewlett-Pac...g/152756750101

I know they pop up there. I don't bid because the company I was working
for at the time bought me a replacement, an HP32S-II. That now lives in
my workshop. And as I said, I've also got the HP48G. Since I'm retired,
it would be silly to buy another 11C. Even though it really was my favorite.

They are also at Goodwill for 3 bucks

Hmm. Then again maybe most of the ones in GW are Ti.
Old November 1st 17, 09:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-10-27 08:37,

wrote:

[...]

For me it was about 10 seconds and I was hooked on RPN.

The reason I didn't grow up with RPN was that the prices of HP
calculators outside the US were prohibitive.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old November 2nd 17, 04:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 11:04:54 +0700, John B.
wrote:

A friend at work had one of those H.P. calculators and I found the
reverse polish notation to almost impossible to work with. An
eccentricity perhaps but " 3 4 5 × - " just didn't seem logical :-)

I, on the other hand, found it quite natural to say six, twelve -- add
'em.

But I had very little use for a calculator -- and today, the solar
calculator that I got as an advertising premium does just fine. (When
a bright light shines on it.)

Future shock: from six hundred dollars and worth every penny to
throw-away.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Can replace Lthium with Nimh external battery pack? Sir Ridesalot Techniques 43 October 5th 15 08:49 PM
nimh rechargable battery packs - drain and charge when new? Jack Murphy General 10 October 28th 06 02:34 PM
On lithium ion Stuart Lamble Australia 2 March 22nd 05 03:19 AM
dynamo battery chargers AA Nimh Mark Taylor UK 0 February 7th 05 12:42 PM
Lithium Grease Simonb UK 12 March 26th 04 11:42 PM