Voie de la Liberte (1988)

Old June 6th 14, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Voie de la Liberte (1988)

On Saturday, June 21, 1997 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Billevelyn wrote:
I need some help from our bicycling friends in France. The reason why is
encapsulated in the following vignette.

In 1988 I participated in the Voie de la Liberte, Randonnee 2eme Division
Battaile, General Leclerc. Went rode from Cherbourg to Strasbourg over
the course of nine days. On the fifth day (August 25, 1988, Anniversaire
Liberation of Paris) of the ride, the French authorities closed the Champs
Elysee for a ceremony at the Arch de Triomphe.

I was selected to be the American representative during the ceremonies
with Madame Leclerc and Jacques Chirac. Hundreds of photographers and
newspapers lined the walkways. My photo was taken during the ceremonies
dozens of times. Unfortunately, I never received a copy of any Paris
newspaper. We started out early the next morning for Colombey d'Eglise
and I had no ability to get the papers.

I would really like some information on acquiring copies, originals,
whatever ... of the Paris newspapers on August 25 & 26, 1988; particularly
articles and photographs pertaining to this event.

This information is particularly important to me, because my birthday is
liberation day August 25th.

Please Email me with suggestions. Hopefully a sympathetic student at the
Sorbonne can research in the library and get photocopies or electronic
means to forward me.

Very Appreciative
Bill Evelyn
Bianchi

Bill, I was on the same ride! I'll see what I might have in a box somewhere. I'll never forget that trip - great folks and great times.

Lou Klein