Le Tour Silly Questions

Old July 18th 04, 07:44 AM
nemo555

Default Le Tour Silly Questions

Hi guys, I have just become fascinated with the Tour.

These guys are aliens to have so much strength each day.

But my silly questions are.

How do they know the route, is there a lead motorbike or something ?

Sometimes you see a spectator giving the riders a push up the hill, is this
allowed ?

And at the top of the mountains, what Heart Rate are these guys, for example
Lance pushing, I would think close to 100% , am I right ?

Thanks guys and gals.

Cheers

Old July 19th 04, 12:58 PM
hippy

"nemo555" wrote in message
How do they know the route, is there a lead motorbike or something ?

I don't think alternatives are available, ie. all the side
roads are blocked off.

Sometimes you see a spectator giving the riders a push up the hill, is

this
allowed ?

I'm not sure about the actuall rules but it happens all the time and
nothing is ever done about it. It's hardly a major advantage anyway,
especially since it usually happens after someone has crashed.

And at the top of the mountains, what Heart Rate are these guys, for

example
Lance pushing, I would think close to 100% , am I right ?

100% max? I don't think so. Not unless he was really going hard to
make up time or sprinting for a win. You can only achieve your real
maxHR if you are well rested and have worked at high intensity for
a while before going as hard as possible. Even then, you can't stay
at max for very long at all - seconds I believe (6 seconds of ATP
"sprint" energy DRS?). He'd be at a high percentage of max on a
sprint at the end of a mountain stage, maybe even max, but not for
long and not every day.

hippy
- all answers are educated guesses, remember your grain o' salt