Close call on a training ride

Old May 14th 11, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Close call on a training ride

1. Young guy who has never ridden or owned a motorcycle makes big
bucks off IPO
2. Young guy takes his money to the Ducati dealer and buys a 996
3. Young guy doesn't take any motorcycle safety classes, because
he's
brilliant (hey, he just made big money) and doesn't need them
4. Young guy takes his new 996 up into the Santa Cruz Mountains to
show the local hotshoes how it's done
5. Young guy overcooks a sweeper on (fill in the blank with the road
name) and either hits a tree or a pickup truck head-on at 80+ mph
6. Young guy becomes a dead guy

See, this is why we should be grateful when young
Silicon Valley hotshots buy the latest Trek Madone++
(or whatever the trick bike is now) and show up to
rides fully kitted out in new gear and without a clue.
It's much safer than motorcycling and conserves
our local tech talent, that we need to keep from falling
even further behind India/Taiwan/China/Malaysia/any
country with a remotely functional educational system.

===========
That may be true, but a hot motorcycle is far more likely to get
someone laid than a hot bicycle. More breeding now, more tech talent
in the future. You can read my monograph on the topic in the June
issue of Iron Horse magazine.

===========

You sure know how to kill a party.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old May 15th 11, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
H. Fred Kveck

In article ,
Brad Anders wrote:

On May 12, 9:02*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
http://chainreactionblogs.com/diary/

Check out the video for today's entry. A very interesting morning.

--Mike-- * * Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

It's amazing how many accidents (bike, car, motorcycle) that we've all
come upon on Skyline, 84, 9, 92, and the rest of the Santa Cruz
Mountains roads. Friends of mine saw a dead motorcyclist hanging in a
tree on the east descent on 84.

THe number of makeshift memorials, mostly to motorcyclists, that are on the roads
up in the Santa Cruz mountain is amazing. Some of them don't last very long but there
are a few that have been around for years.
Old May 15th 11, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
H. Fred Kveck

wrote:
http://chainreactionblogs.com/diary/

Check out the video for today's entry. A very interesting morning.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

===========
It's amazing how many accidents (bike, car, motorcycle) that we've all
come upon on Skyline, 84, 9, 92, and the rest of the Santa Cruz
Mountains roads. Friends of mine saw a dead motorcyclist hanging in a
tree on the east descent on 84.
===========

Two years ago my son and I went 5 or 6 weeks straight of coming across
motorcycle carnage on our Sunday rides. The most-popular spot was on the
west side of Haskins, about halfway down. There's a corner at the end of
a long straight section that they overcook consistently. One did die. We
didn't know it at the time. As if he went straight, with his motorcycle
about 30 feet down the embankment, stuck upright between some trees.
Looked pretty funny and worth a good laugh until we found out later he
didn't make it. Some really stupid squids out there. At least, in
general, they're fairly decent towards bicyclists.

Very familiar with the turn on Haskins you're talkin about. THere are a couple of
slight doglegs leading to that turn but in the short distance from the point where
the road transistions into a downhill, you can pick up a *lot* of speed. The turn is
kind of off camber at the beginning and it tightens up a bit - add the gravity feed
and you have trouble for those not paying attention. I really enjoy the descent of
Haskins Hill, though. And that turn is part of why I like it.

What does a death on a training ride call us to do? [email protected] Racing 4 August 28th 10 08:06 PM
Close Call Goats_On_Unicycles Unicycling 46 December 31st 08 01:22 AM
A close call nget Recumbent Biking 6 November 20th 06 06:46 PM
Close call? Neil Brooks General 11 October 3rd 05 07:32 PM
Close Call... Dana Recumbent Biking 6 August 18th 05 05:44 AM