Philly Phlyer - bikes ripped off?

Old March 12th 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

Default Philly Phlyer - bikes ripped off?

I was at the races this weekend in Philadelphia. Excellent
time...unless you needed to use one of the 6 porta-potties that didn't
get emptied for the entire weekend. Blecch!

I heard a rumor that the University of Virginia's bikes were ripped
off Saturday night and that's whey they weren't racing Sunday. I have
this sick feeling that there's either some crack head selling $2000
bikes on a street corner for $20 so he can score, or that someone knew
the value of the bikes and where they parked the vehicle - semi-inside
job. Anyone know what really happened?

Old March 13th 07, 08:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

RicodJour wrote:
I heard a rumor that the University of Virginia's bikes were ripped
off Saturday night and that's whey they weren't racing Sunday. I have
this sick feeling that there's either some crack head selling $2000
bikes on a street corner for $20 so he can score, or that someone knew
the value of the bikes and where they parked the vehicle - semi-inside
job. Anyone know what really happened?

Those Dutch bike thieves are going international.

Old March 13th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Neil

My car was the one broken into at dinner. I won't go into explicit detail
here, because of investigations surrounding the police report, insurance
claims, etc.

They took no bikes - which was good, because they were certainly much more
than $2000 each. I mean really, what does a Madone 5.9SL run these days?
They took none of the race wheels in the back seat, about another $3.5k
retail. So no, it wasn't an inside job, and they weren't bike thieves. It
was a car in a parking lot with bikes on the roof and out of town plates.
We were at a restaurant for dinner, so probably wouldn't come back to the
car for awhile. It was a station wagon, so our bags were in plain view
(though none of the valuables were) so we were an easy target.

They took my passengers bags: laptop, ipod, textbooks, checkbook, bike
shoes, helmet, glasses, team clothing, powertap, tools, etc.

They got my bags: dslr camera kit, ipod, books, checkbook, bike shoes,
helmet, glasses, team clothing, etc.

They got my toolbox, which ticks me off the most. Years of accumulation of
cycling tools and spare parts, gone.

We couldn't race the next day, since we had no shoes, helmet, jerseys, etc.
That's why the woman who won the A race on Saturday was a no-show for
Sunday.

We are both investigating options with our insurance companies. Honestly,
if they'd just stolen the bikes off of the (locked) roof rack and all the
wheels out of the back seat, it would have been far easier (though more
expensive) to replace. The inventory list I sent to my company had over 120
individual line items. So if anybody sees any duffel bags, book bags, and a
red craftsman toolbox in a dumpster in west philly, drop me a line. Or if
you see anybody there wearing UVA kit, other than Bridge (one of our very
own graduates, turned bike messenger there) call the "Lower Marion Township"
authorities.

JN

oups.com...

Old March 13th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Neil

And the only person who "knew" where we were going was the hott chica from
one of the host schools who directed me to that place for dinner. I don't
think it was an inside job, so please don't start rumors about stuff like
that within the ECCC or ACCC cycling communities.

JN

oups.com...

Old March 13th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

John Neil wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

I heard a rumor that the University of Virginia's bikes were ripped
off Saturday night and that's whey they weren't racing Sunday. I have
this sick feeling that there's either some crack head selling $2000
bikes on a street corner for $20 so he can score, or that someone knew
the value of the bikes and where they parked the vehicle - semi-inside
job. Anyone know what really happened?

And the only person who "knew" where we were going was the hott chica from
one of the host schools who directed me to that place for dinner. I don't
think it was an inside job, so please don't start rumors about stuff like
that within the ECCC or ACCC cycling communities.

Hey John. I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I had no intention
of starting a rumor, and I apologize if that's how it came across.
I'd heard the rumor that UVA's van had been broken into and they'd
lost the bikes and everything and that's why I was asking what really
happened. Thanks for setting the record straight.

I've been ripped off several times, once losing a shop full of tools,
and I know how difficult it is to even list everything. I hope your
insurance company comes through for you. Good luck.

Old March 13th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Neil

Makes me wonder how rumors even get started. I don't even have a van. Our
teammate with the van couldn't attend this weekend.

Everything will work out one way or another.

JN

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old March 13th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla

The promoter is at least partially fault here for not providing security
for the parking area since he should have known that theft was a problem
in Philly. At the very least he should have warned everyone that theft
was a high probability in Philly.

I'm not sure why you are writing in here or talking like this is some
kind of astounding thing to have happened (property theft in
Philadelphia, PUH-LEEZ).

Magilla

John Neil wrote:
[...]

oups.com...

Old March 13th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

MagillaGorilla wrote:
The promoter is at least partially fault here for not providing security
for the parking area since he should have known that theft was a problem
in Philly. At the very least he should have warned everyone that theft
was a high probability in Philly.

There was no "he" - the event was a collaboration of several area
schools and a combined event for two collegiate cycling conferences.

I'm not sure why you are writing in here or talking like this is some
kind of astounding thing to have happened (property theft in
Philadelphia, PUH-LEEZ).

You are the densest asshole imaginable - an anal singularity. It's
amazing that anything at all escapes. Since there are obviously
emanations, I guess it should be no surprise that what comes out is
fecal in origin.

Old March 13th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MagillaGorilla

RicodJour wrote:
MagillaGorilla wrote:

The promoter is at least partially fault here for not providing security
for the parking area since he should have known that theft was a problem
in Philly. At the very least he should have warned everyone that theft
was a high probability in Philly.

There was no "he" - the event was a collaboration of several area
schools and a combined event for two collegiate cycling conferences.

Hey Puerto RicanJew,

Someobody's signature is on the race permit, jackass. Who was
responsible for getting the liability insurance? There has to be a
person who did this. That person is the promoter by definition.

Things don't just happen, ****face.

Magilla
Old March 13th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Neil

Look who's the organ donor now? Read the first sentence. "At dinner." It
didn't happen at the race. The promoter isn't responsible in the least.
The only thing the promoters are at fault for is putting on a HUGE race that
went off without a hitch. It did not happen at the race.

Are you kidding me? The OP was just trying to express some compassion
because he heard something bad happened to someone. I didn't say I was
astonished - and it was my own car. Did either the OP or I act as if we
were surprised?

jn

John Neil wrote:
[...]

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...

I was at the races this weekend in Philadelphia. Excellent
time...unless you needed to use one of the 6 porta-potties that didn't
get emptied for the entire weekend. Blecch!

I heard a rumor that the University of Virginia's bikes were ripped
off Saturday night and that's whey they weren't racing Sunday. I have
this sick feeling that there's either some crack head selling $2000
bikes on a street corner for $20 so he can score, or that someone knew
the value of the bikes and where they parked the vehicle - semi-inside
job. Anyone know what really happened?

I ripped my new 661's! forrestunifreak Unicycling 6 April 26th 05 05:46 AM
my bike got ripped off. Scott Ehardt Social Issues 7 January 8th 05 07:08 PM
Ripped!!! Steve McGinty Racing 0 September 4th 04 09:44 AM
eBay -- where to get ripped off Mcget Marketplace 3 February 15th 04 02:00 AM
Am I being being ripped off here? Ray Vaughan UK 12 January 8th 04 12:15 AM