Winter....anyone.

Old January 26th 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Andrew Price

Default Winter....anyone.

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:29:43 -0800, (Tom
Keats) wrote:

Just as there are various kinds of rockets,
there are various kinds of COLD.

I opine the PNW kind of COLD is among
the most miserable.

Why ?
Old January 26th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jay Bollyn wrote:
Why do I need to lecture a Packer fan on COLD?

Because DA BEHS kicked Slacker booty in the last cold weather game they
played?

This is not rocket science...and I do know rocket scientists.

I know some rocket scientist (sic) in the Chicagoland area:
http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/home.asp?URL=wisil/main.asp.
(The "We could be rocket scientist" page seems to have disappeared,
however).

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth
Old January 26th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Tom Keats wrote:
Rocket bikes pique my interest.

I have a Rocket bike like this one:
http://www.ransbikes.com/Rocket07.htm.

Old January 27th 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

On Jan 26, 4:17 pm, "Jay" wrote:

Hey Ron:

I don't talk about it much...I just ride, every day, year round, 20 miles
daily in Chicago.

I can get at least one mile in every day, but to do 20 on some of the
storm days is a real challenge, unless you've found a route that is
salted early and often (my last wintry a.m. on business in Chicago, I
did a bunch of loops from the Planetarium to the Field Museum, which
roughly met that criterion.)

Winter happens, on a predictable schedule. Dress for it. Ride an appropriate
bike.

That can keep you from freezing, but it doesn't make the roads
passable.

Why do I need to lecture a Packer fan on COLD?

Even though Lambeau is 200 miles north of Soldier Field, it doesn't
have those howling lake winds. Favre said that Dec. 2007 game in
Chicago was the worst weather he ever encountered for a game. A Yahoo
account of the 20 or so worst weather games in NFL history showed a
good sampling from Soldier Field, even though the Ice Bowl at Lambeau
was the single worst. (I must boast that I was there).

This is not rocket science...and I do know rocket scientists.

I don't

Chicagoan J.

Old January 27th 08, 05:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Claire Petersky

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
In article ,

Worst of all are drivers who come here from places
where they get /real/ snow. They think they're
experts at dealing with Vancouver "snow", and set
out to teach the local populace a lesson about how
to deal with it.

Just came back from your fair city this evening. It was snowing to beat the
band. I 3 Vancouver. It's such a great city. I always feel like Vancouver
is to Seattle the way I'd feel about a more glamorous cousin - about the
same genetic material, but more beautiful, more sophisticated, more on top
of things.

ObBikeContent: the professional two-day workshop I was at had about 20% of
the people attending get there by bike. I thought that was a remarkably high
number, especially for this time of year.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old January 27th 08, 08:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Zoot Katz

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 16:14:48 -0800, (Tom
Keats) wrote:

Keats) wrote:

Just as there are various kinds of rockets,
there are various kinds of COLD.

I opine the PNW kind of COLD is among
the most miserable.

Why ?

Because the coldness is accompanied by a
clammy, insidious dampness. It chills you
simultaneously from the skin in, and from
the bones out. If you're wearing the wrong
kind of clothing, it feels like your wearing
clothes fresh out of the cold water cycle of
your washing machine. And they exuberantly
stick to you. Even the Pacific Ocean air we
breathe is cold & wet. You can't stand in
the sunlight to warm up a li'l, 'cuz there
ain't any. Just grey, overcast sky, and
a bleak, dismal vista to pervade your mind.

Our humid coldness will make you shiver and
scrunch-up your shoulders. You can stand
on the land or swim in the ocean: same
difference. Cold + wet.

Rain weeds out the weenies.

I think I've already related a ride in November when Jane and me both
commenting that the quality of the rain was good because it meant
everything was back to normal.

When I lived outside for a Haida Guai pseudo-summer I felt I was just
another of the universe's creatures living at the interface of fresh
water, salt water and air. Were it a winter though I'd probably been
one of the creatures that also die there. No sun for too long.

Vancouver winters aren't very long it's just that the fall and spring
weather can feel like winter too. My daffodils have been pushing up
green since Xmas. The witch hazel is in full bloom, FWIW, and I heard
last week that there is a cherry tree on Clark Drive starting to
blossom. Street trees are turning faintly green or pink. You can see
it in the air around them. Be this winter, I'll take it.

When I lived in Montreal I learned why "froid" is French for"cold".
Stepping onto the front porch, wearing a tee-shirt and no shoes, into
a bright sunny morning after a week of cold, windy, cloudy, and wet
weather, I tried to enunciate "**** it's cold!" but "FWWAAAA!" was
all that could pass my lips. Thirty below does that to you.
--
zk
Old January 27th 08, 08:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Zoot Katz

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 20:11:07 -0800, "Claire Petersky"
wrote, in part:

ObBikeContent: the professional two-day workshop I was at had about 20% of
the people attending get there by bike. I thought that was a remarkably high
number, especially for this time of year.

Twenty percent is peak season numbers entering the UBC campus or
commuting downtown on a nice day during a summer long bus strike.

Given that the other professionals at the workshop were probably of
similar bent and background as your self, twenty percent shouldn't be
outstanding. It however is encouraging to see people using bikes as
transport. . . at least in nice weather. Thursday and Friday were
glorious days for riding.

Did you bring your bike too?
--
zk
Old January 27th 08, 08:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Zoot Katz

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 16:17:54 -0600, "Jay" wrote,
in part:

Winter happens, on a predictable schedule. Dress for it. Ride an appropriate
bike.

I think I remember reading here that "There is no such thing as bad
weather, only bad gear.".
--
zk
Old January 27th 08, 08:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.rides
Chalo

Tom Keats wrote:

How I long for the summer heat! Oh, well -- no
use whining about it. But looking forward to it
gives me sustaining hope. Then, it'll be clear,
dry & sunny while I'm at work during the week, and
just rain on the weekends. I can live with that.

The Pacific Northwest doesn't _get_ any summer heat; that's one of its
attractions for those who love it. Here in Austin we got hotter
temperatures during late December of last year than I saw during the
"dog days" of summer in Seattle.

That's one reason I love Austin. Last week the weather turned Seattle-
like for a few days, but now the cold dark drizzle seems to have let
up for a spell.

Chalo

RR: Winter is on its way ... but it's not here yet. [email protected] Mountain Biking 4 December 17th 06 12:44 PM
End of winter! Mike Causer UK 48 December 16th 06 07:18 PM
winter again [email protected] Techniques 4 August 27th 06 04:19 PM
Winter Uni? Eroick Unicycling 6 February 10th 06 04:03 AM
FA: Winter shoes, winter tights, Serfas saddle John Verheul Marketplace 0 January 4th 06 06:02 PM