bicycle seat that feels like a pillow?

Old July 29th 08, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
It's Chris

Default bicycle seat that feels like a pillow?

Have you tried any of the "gel" pads that slip over the saddle like a
pillowcase? They're not quite as soft as, say down or feathers (More
like a thick steak) but they're at least made for your purpose, and can
even be bought at (Forgive me, lord,) Wal-Mart

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Old July 29th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Bennett Haselton writes:
Lately I've been riding my bike with a pillow strapped over the
bicycle seat with duct tape,

Maybe you've been watching The Red Green Show a li'l too much?

because it made sitting a lot more
comfortable on long bike rides. Since the duct tape keeps coming off
and the pillow keeps slipping, I want to know, are there "real"
bicycle seats like this?

I asked at a local bike shop saying I was looking for something that
was softer than my bicycle seat of hard rubber, and they showed me
some seats made of slightly less hard rubber. Still nowhere near as
soft and comfortable as a pillow.

Given that uncomfortable sitting presumably doesn't add anything to
the fitness benefits of bike riding, why wouldn't pillow-soft seats
like this exist?

(Or perhaps purists would say that the uncomfortable seats do add a
fitness benefit, by making you stand more! But still, can't a guy
just go on a long bike ride and sit a lot,

No. One doesn't ~sit~ on a normal diamond-frame bike.

And standing on the pedals isn't about gaining
or maintaining fitness. I use the technique for
comfort, e.g: setting the cranks level, standing
off the saddle, and coasting over speed humps.
Keeps my internal organs from bouncing around.

without having to worry
about the fitness part? Besides, if you find a way to make an
experience more comfortable even if slightly less health-beneficial,
the result may still be an increase in the health benefits that the
total population gets from it, because more people will do it, and for
longer.)

Wanna make a pile of $$$? Just invent the Pneumatic
Bicycle Saddle. It wouldn't be an improvement over
time-tested-&-true conventional saddles, but I'm
sure it could be highly ... let's say: "marketable."

In the meantime, I suggest obtaining an invalid ring
from your local drugstore, and using that instead of
the pillow. The central hole should render it more
securely attachable, you could regulate it's softness
by how much you inflate it, and if you have hemhorroids
it'll fulfill its intended purpose. And if you come
across a swimmin' spot and ya wanna take a dip, you've
got a beach toy.

They make pretty good archery targets too. For a while.
I haven't yet tried them for skeet/trap shooting, but
I foresee possibilities.

Maybe they'd even doofer spare tires for Mini Coopers.

Maybe glue Glo-Stix onto 'em and use 'em for nighttime
Ultimate Frisbee.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old July 29th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Claire Petersky

"Bennett Haselton" wrote in message

Most people seem to be harrassing you, rather than genuinely trying to help
you. I'll see what I can do for you here.

Lately I've been riding my bike with a pillow strapped over the
bicycle seat with duct tape, because it made sitting a lot more
comfortable on long bike rides.

Do you wear bike shorts?
What do consider to be a "long" bike ride?
What kind of bike are you riding?
Where did you get it?
Did the place where you bought the bike do a bike fitting?

Since the duct tape keeps coming off
and the pillow keeps slipping, I want to know, are there "real"
bicycle seats like this?

No, for good reason. Someone else refered you to Sheldon Brown's site, which
explains why cushy seats are a bad idea.

Given that uncomfortable sitting presumably doesn't add anything to
the fitness benefits of bike riding, why wouldn't pillow-soft seats
like this exist?

Because they cause greater pain in the long run.

While there's some "toughening up" that needs to occur, you aren't supposed
to be in major pain when you ride your bike. Cyclists do not wear bike
shorts to show off genetalia, they wear them for comfort. If you're wearing
bike shorts and your heinie still hurts, it probably means that the bike
does not fit you in some dimension.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old July 29th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson[_2_]

On Jul 28, 5:06*pm, Edric wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 16:32:13 -0700 (PDT), Bill Sornson

Here's what you do. *Have 7 or 8 friends send away for free "Tempur-
pedic" mattress samples (only one to a household, you see) and glue
them to your saddle.

Problem solved; off you go.

Bill "glad to help" S.

Who needs them? *After about a week any saddle soreness should fade
away. *Just toughen up.

Umm... Whoosh?

Old August 13th 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Yannik

"Yannik" schreef in bericht

http://www.ride-ball.de/

I just bought one and it does the trick.
But it really requires an upright riding position, otherwise the stated
downsides are correct, more pressure to the wrists and no riding without
hands.
But on an upright bike it really is like riding on a pillow :-)
Not a good idea on a MTB, a sports bike or a touringbike though.

Yannik