Replacement Brooks saddle bag

Old January 16th 10, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Default Replacement Brooks saddle bag

My Brooks saddle bag broke.

After just 18 months one of the straps that holds the saddle bag onto
the saddle bag loops of the Brooks saddle 'cut' through. Fortunately,
Brooks have a three year warranty on their products, and as it is a
flaw in the saddle bag loop design they said they would replace the
bag free of charge. To fix the problem I said that I would wind
electrical tape around the saddle bag loops.

The replacement bag arrived from Wiggle on Thursday, only to be
delivered to my home address while I was at work - so this morning I
went to the post office to collect it.

The bag is upside down! The straps have been fitted where the buckles
should go and the buckles have been fitted where the straps should go.

If I fit it one way up the buckles are at the top and the bag doesn't
hang properly.

If I fit it the other way up the Brooks logo is upside down and the
bag clip is at the top.

http://www.britishschoolofcycling.co...s/thorn/brooks

What would /you/ do... Live with a correctly fitted upside down bag,
live with an incorrectly fitted right way up bag or return the bag for
a second replacement? (Note that I got a FREE bag of wine gums with
this replacement.)
Old January 16th 10, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alex Potter

Tom Crispin wrote on Sat, 16 Jan 2010 12:40:05 +0000:

What would /you/ do...

I'd return it. It's not /right/.

--
Regards
Alex
Old January 16th 10, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Tom Crispin wrote:

What would /you/ do... Live with a correctly fitted upside down bag,
live with an incorrectly fitted right way up bag or return the bag for
a second replacement? (Note that I got a FREE bag of wine gums with
this replacement.)

The upside-down-ness doesn't really affect the functionality[1], so I
probably wouldn't bother to do anything about it. The main thing I'd do
is smooth the bag loops on the saddle so they don't cut though any
more straps.

[1] As long as you don't catch the strap/button with your leg when
mounting/dismounting.

Old January 16th 10, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

Tom Crispin wrote:

What would /you/ do... Live with a correctly fitted upside down bag,
live with an incorrectly fitted right way up bag or return the bag for
a second replacement? (Note that I got a FREE bag of wine gums with
this replacement.)

The upside-down-ness doesn't really affect the functionality[1], so I
probably wouldn't bother to do anything about it. The main thing I'd do
is smooth the bag loops on the saddle so they don't cut though any
more straps.

I have wrapped electrical tape around the bag loops, but it might be
the sides of the loops causing the strap to cut, so I will have to do
something with the sides of the loops too.

I have added a fourth photo to show the electrical tape (it's not
really a fourth photo, just the first photo cropped.)

Old January 16th 10, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 19:15:35 +0000
Tom Crispin wrote:

I have wrapped electrical tape around the bag loops, but it might be
the sides of the loops causing the strap to cut, so I will have to do
something with the sides of the loops too.

If you really object to rounding the edges with a file and some emery
cloth you might consider binding the loop in something like that waxed
linen thread that you can buy in Mister Minit type places.

Old January 16th 10, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

On 16/01/2010 13:08, Alex Potter wrote:
Tom Crispin wrote on Sat, 16 Jan 2010 12:40:05 +0000:

What would /you/ do...

I'd return it. It's not /right/.

AOL
Old January 16th 10, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Tom wrote:

I have wrapped electrical tape around the bag loops, but it might be
the sides of the loops causing the strap to cut, so I will have to do
something with the sides of the loops too.

If you really object to rounding the edges with a file and some emery
cloth you might consider binding the loop in something like that waxed
linen thread that you can buy in Mister Minit type places.

Dental floss?

Works for bow strings!
Old January 16th 10, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

On 16/01/2010 12:40, Tom Crispin wrote:

What would /you/ do... Live with a correctly fitted upside down bag,
live with an incorrectly fitted right way up bag or return the bag for
a second replacement? (Note that I got a FREE bag of wine gums with
this replacement.)

I've been considering one of these, what are they like inside, any pics?
Old January 16th 10, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
leandr42

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 12:40:05 -0000, Tom Crispin
wrote:

What would /you/ do... Live with a correctly fitted upside down bag,
live with an incorrectly fitted right way up bag or return the bag for
a second replacement? (Note that I got a FREE bag of wine gums with
this replacement.)

I'm not entirely clear whether the upside down arrangement is otherwise
functionally OK. Assuming it is...

For me it would be a trade-off between how much the upside down logo
annoyed me, and the hassle of at least one trip to the post office
(possibly two trips if the replacement is delivered when you're out).

I regard trips to the post office as tedious, and the upside logo would be
a quirky minor conversation piece, so I'd definitely keep it. But if the
logo is likely to annoy you long after the trips to the post office would
be forgotten, you should change it.

--

Rob

Brooks tension bolt replacement amakyonin Techniques 9 September 11th 09 01:45 AM
Brooks B17 saddle Just zis Guy, you know? UK 4 June 25th 05 10:06 AM
Brooks B17 saddle fidgetbuzz UK 0 June 21st 05 02:00 PM
WTB: Brooks Saddle (used B-17 or B-72)... Carl Barrentine Marketplace 1 September 29th 03 12:22 AM
A new Brooks saddle? Pete Biggs UK 4 September 16th 03 07:56 PM