bicycle seat that feels like a pillow?

Old July 27th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bennett Haselton

Default bicycle seat that feels like a pillow?

Lately I've been riding my bike with a pillow strapped over the
bicycle seat with duct tape, because it made sitting a lot more
comfortable on long bike rides. Since the duct tape keeps coming off
and the pillow keeps slipping, I want to know, are there "real"
bicycle seats like this?

I asked at a local bike shop saying I was looking for something that
was softer than my bicycle seat of hard rubber, and they showed me
some seats made of slightly less hard rubber. Still nowhere near as
soft and comfortable as a pillow.

Given that uncomfortable sitting presumably doesn't add anything to
the fitness benefits of bike riding, why wouldn't pillow-soft seats
like this exist?

(Or perhaps purists would say that the uncomfortable seats do add a
fitness benefit, by making you stand more! But still, can't a guy
just go on a long bike ride and sit a lot, without having to worry
about the fitness part? Besides, if you find a way to make an
experience more comfortable even if slightly less health-beneficial,
the result may still be an increase in the health benefits that the
total population gets from it, because more people will do it, and for
longer.)
Old July 27th 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Bennett Haselton wrote:
Lately I've been riding my bike with a pillow strapped over the
bicycle seat with duct tape, because it made sitting a lot more
comfortable on long bike rides. Since the duct tape keeps coming off
and the pillow keeps slipping, I want to know, are there "real"
bicycle seats like this?...

Yes. E.g. http://www.ransbikes.com/images/stratusLE08L.jpg.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 27th 08, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jul 26, 9:23*pm, Bennett Haselton wrote:
Lately I've been riding my bike with a pillow strapped over the
bicycle seat with duct tape, because it made sitting a lot more
comfortable on long bike rides. *Since the duct tape keeps coming off
and the pillow keeps slipping,

Put it in your pants.
Old July 27th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

landotter wrote:
On Jul 26, 9:23 pm, Bennett Haselton wrote:
Lately I've been riding my bike with a pillow strapped over the
bicycle seat with duct tape, because it made sitting a lot more
comfortable on long bike rides. Since the duct tape keeps coming off
and the pillow keeps slipping,

Put it in your pants.

Please DO NOT take photographs and post them online if you try this.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 27th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Bennett Haselton wrote:
Lately I've been riding my bike with a pillow strapped over the
bicycle seat with duct tape, because it made sitting a lot more
comfortable on long bike rides. Since the duct tape keeps coming off
and the pillow keeps slipping, I want to know, are there "real"
bicycle seats like this?

SNIP

What's your personal definition of "long?"

Bill

__o | The American fascist would prefer not to use violence.
_`\(,_ | His method is to poison the channels of public information
(_)/ (_) | --Henry A. Wallace

Old July 28th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson[_2_]

On Jul 26, 7:23*pm, Bennett Haselton wrote:
Lately I've been riding my bike with a pillow strapped over the
bicycle seat with duct tape, because it made sitting a lot more
comfortable on long bike rides. *Since the duct tape keeps coming off
and the pillow keeps slipping, I want to know, are there "real"
bicycle seats like this?

Here's what you do. Have 7 or 8 friends send away for free "Tempur-
pedic" mattress samples (only one to a household, you see) and glue
them to your saddle.

Problem solved; off you go.

Bill "glad to help" S.
Old July 28th 08, 12:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Yannik

"Bennett Haselton" schreef in bericht

http://www.ride-ball.de/

http://no-nose.com/

Old July 28th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Jul 28, 6:31*am, "Yannik" wrote:
"Bennett Haselton" schreef in ...

Lately I've been riding my bike with a pillow strapped over the
bicycle seat with duct tape, because it made sitting a lot more
comfortable on long bike rides. *Since the duct tape keeps coming off
and the pillow keeps slipping, I want to know, are there "real"
bicycle seats like this?

http://www.ride-ball.de/

I'm sure the German market has come up with an exciting number of
filthy sounding exit valves for that thing for when you hit bumps.
Pbbbbt!

Old July 28th 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_12_]

"Bennett Haselton" ...
Lately I've been riding my bike with a pillow strapped over the
bicycle seat with duct tape, because it made sitting a lot more
comfortable on long bike rides. Since the duct tape keeps coming off
and the pillow keeps slipping, I want to know, are there "real"
bicycle seats like this?

Bennett, keep at it. Your rear will toughen up in a short time. Think of it
this way: if there were truly a need for a pillow bicycle seat, you'd see
thousands of people using them. No. All of these people have learned that
their butts get used to bicycle seats that support the sit bones in a
proper way instead of trying to fool you into thinking you can have a soft
rear and a soft saddle.

Pat in TX

Old July 29th 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Edric

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 16:32:13 -0700 (PDT), Bill Sornson
wrote:

On Jul 26, 7:23*pm, Bennett Haselton wrote:
Lately I've been riding my bike with a pillow strapped over the
bicycle seat with duct tape, because it made sitting a lot more
comfortable on long bike rides. *Since the duct tape keeps coming off
and the pillow keeps slipping, I want to know, are there "real"
bicycle seats like this?

Here's what you do. Have 7 or 8 friends send away for free "Tempur-
pedic" mattress samples (only one to a household, you see) and glue
them to your saddle.

Problem solved; off you go.

Bill "glad to help" S.

Who needs them? After about a week any saddle soreness should fade
away. Just toughen up.