%$!#-&*@

Old April 11th 05, 12:20 AM
Tamyka Bell

Default %$!#-&*@

Got my bike fit just about perfect on Saturday.

Rode my bike to uni today.

Had a gumby uphill take-off, unclipped my right foot before the left was
in. Very weird. How embarrassment and all that. With the road being wet
it was pretty scary jumping off onto cleats as I was about to go down,
with drivers laughing at me. Then checking the cleats, knowing people
were thinking I was faking it and just unco. Sure enough, had broken off
part of my cleat, gddm it!

Forgot about it on the next uphill takeoff as well, so the same thing
happened! Fortunately, we have a bike shop on campus.

Happy riding all.
Old April 11th 05, 12:43 AM
BrettS

Tamyka Bell wrote:

Got my bike fit just about perfect on Saturday.

Rode my bike to uni today.

Had a gumby uphill take-off, unclipped my right foot before the left was
in. Very weird. How embarrassment and all that. With the road being wet
it was pretty scary jumping off onto cleats as I was about to go down,
with drivers laughing at me. Then checking the cleats, knowing people
were thinking I was faking it and just unco. Sure enough, had broken off
part of my cleat, gddm it!

Forgot about it on the next uphill takeoff as well, so the same thing
happened! Fortunately, we have a bike shop on campus.

Happy riding all.

I've seen a couple of people do the same thing. Clip in and a bit of
black or red plastic comes flying off the bottom of their shoe.
Thankfully you didn't hurt yourself in the process.

Makes me glad I bought these SPD-R pedals with the metal cleats.

--
Brett"The WA one"S
Old April 11th 05, 01:53 AM
Tamyka Bell

BrettS wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:

[...]

I hear it doesn't happen if you get good pedals/cleats...

Well I spoke too soon, the cycle shop has to order me some cleats...
gddmit.

Tam

*ego has almost recovered*
Old April 11th 05, 02:11 AM
Carl Brewer

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:53:38 +1000, Tamyka Bell
wrote:

I hear it doesn't happen if you get good pedals/cleats...

Well I spoke too soon, the cycle shop has to order me some cleats...
gddmit.

I've had 2 "toe-end" bits of the SPD-SL's break on
me, but that's been over 18 months and some 25,000 or
so km/s, and I've only had to replace 3 pairs of
cleats in that time, two because they broke, and one because
they started pulling out on hillsprints. SPD-SL's are very good.
Worth every cent - the Ultegra spec ones (SPD-SL 600's) are bloody
good pedals & cleats, and having walked some considerable k's in
them after a nasty mechanical, they survive walking when
necessary much better than look etc.

Old April 11th 05, 02:20 AM
Tamyka Bell

wrote:

I hear it doesn't happen if you get good pedals/cleats...

Well I spoke too soon, the cycle shop has to order me some cleats...
gddmit.

I've had 2 "toe-end" bits of the SPD-SL's break on
me, but that's been over 18 months and some 25,000 or
so km/s, and I've only had to replace 3 pairs of
cleats in that time, two because they broke, and one because
they started pulling out on hillsprints. SPD-SL's are very good.

Yep, my Miche's are still in great condition after 18 months and about
7500km. But then, my shoes stay on my bike, except for short stops at
lights, etc. It's good practice.

I'm a triathleteWhat's a hillsprint?/t

Worth every cent - the Ultegra spec ones (SPD-SL 600's) are bloody
good pedals & cleats, and having walked some considerable k's in
them after a nasty mechanical, they survive walking when
necessary much better than look etc.

Surely it'd be more comfortable to walk barefoot! I HATE walking in
cleats.

Tam
Old April 11th 05, 02:54 AM
Carl Brewer

wrote:

I hear it doesn't happen if you get good pedals/cleats...

Well I spoke too soon, the cycle shop has to order me some cleats...
gddmit.

I've had 2 "toe-end" bits of the SPD-SL's break on
me, but that's been over 18 months and some 25,000 or
so km/s, and I've only had to replace 3 pairs of
cleats in that time, two because they broke, and one because
they started pulling out on hillsprints. SPD-SL's are very good.

Yep, my Miche's are still in great condition after 18 months and about
7500km. But then, my shoes stay on my bike, except for short stops at
lights, etc. It's good practice.

7500km? They're not even worn in yet!

I'm a triathleteWhat's a hillsprint?/t

On the bike strength training. Pick a hill, pick a big-arse gear,
slow right down to 10km/h, sprint up hill for 20-30 seconds. Rest
90-120s, repeat. Can also be done into a headwind.

Ob tangent : is weight training useful for cyclists? Some say
yes, some say no ... I used to be in the "yes" camp, but am now
tending towards the "yes, in some circumstances, but generally,
no"

See :

http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=strengthstern

and

http://www.aboc.com.au/perl/tips.pl?p=weight_training
(which I should update ... as above, I've changed my mind
a bit!)

Worth every cent - the Ultegra spec ones (SPD-SL 600's) are bloody
good pedals & cleats, and having walked some considerable k's in
them after a nasty mechanical, they survive walking when
necessary much better than look etc.

Surely it'd be more comfortable to walk barefoot! I HATE walking in
cleats.

I'd rather wear out my cleats than risk hurting my feet 3 days before
the Warny

Old April 11th 05, 03:21 AM
Tamyka Bell

wrote:

I hear it doesn't happen if you get good pedals/cleats...

Well I spoke too soon, the cycle shop has to order me some cleats...
gddmit.

I've had 2 "toe-end" bits of the SPD-SL's break on
me, but that's been over 18 months and some 25,000 or
so km/s, and I've only had to replace 3 pairs of
cleats in that time, two because they broke, and one because
they started pulling out on hillsprints. SPD-SL's are very good.

Yep, my Miche's are still in great condition after 18 months and about
7500km. But then, my shoes stay on my bike, except for short stops at
lights, etc. It's good practice.

7500km? They're not even worn in yet!

Well maybe, or according to your 3 prs in 25,000, I'm only 500 km away
from breaking them!

Cute thing is, they haven't done many more kays than they had at the 12
month mark... gone are my 150 km Sunday morning rides...

Ewwww. Is it one of those things you can get good at by watching others?

Ob tangent : is weight training useful for cyclists? Some say
yes, some say no ... I used to be in the "yes" camp, but am now
tending towards the "yes, in some circumstances, but generally,
no"

Wow, my hill climbing got WAY better when I did weights - but it was
strength/power only, not endurance weights, and my PT made sure I had
PERFECT form for everything... But then weights improved my running
heaps too. Maybe I'm just lucky and respond well to weights? I never do
heaps long term, mostly enough to build the neural response without
building heaps of muscle - and that might be the key.

Also I do minimal isolation exercises in weights and focus on compound,
preferably whole body, such as olympic lifts. My fastest running/cycling
was when I had included weights in my base phase of trg. Never ever ever
in comp phase, of course.

See :

http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=strengthstern

I tried, but my browser made it look all funked up, so I gave up.

and

http://www.aboc.com.au/perl/tips.pl?p=weight_training
(which I should update ... as above, I've changed my mind
a bit!)

Could read that one but saw isolation exercises and lost interest...

Worth every cent - the Ultegra spec ones (SPD-SL 600's) are bloody
good pedals & cleats, and having walked some considerable k's in
them after a nasty mechanical, they survive walking when
necessary much better than look etc.

Surely it'd be more comfortable to walk barefoot! I HATE walking in
cleats.

I'd rather wear out my cleats than risk hurting my feet 3 days before
the Warny

You don't, like, wear shoes all day long do you? Oh dear. The glorious
life of a uni bum... barefoot all day. (Although it STILL hurt my feet
at Forster.)
Old April 11th 05, 04:01 AM
Carl Brewer

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:21:33 +1000, Tamyka Bell
wrote:

I'm a triathleteWhat's a hillsprint?/t

On the bike strength training. Pick a hill, pick a big-arse gear,
slow right down to 10km/h, sprint up hill for 20-30 seconds. Rest
90-120s, repeat. Can also be done into a headwind.

Ewwww. Is it one of those things you can get good at by watching others?

You can get good at analysing it and encouraging ;
"come on you lazy bum! These are SUPPOSED to hurt!"

Ob tangent : is weight training useful for cyclists? Some say
yes, some say no ... I used to be in the "yes" camp, but am now
tending towards the "yes, in some circumstances, but generally,
no"

Wow, my hill climbing got WAY better when I did weights - but it was
strength/power only, not endurance weights, and my PT made sure I had
PERFECT form for everything... But then weights improved my running
heaps too. Maybe I'm just lucky and respond well to weights? I never do
heaps long term, mostly enough to build the neural response without
building heaps of muscle - and that might be the key.

It's also possible that the weight training had little effect on
its own, but the rest of your training may have made a
more significant contribution than you expected.
Also, you're running, which is different again, and
then weights are essentially cross-training. Tri's are
always confused about what they're actually working on

My understanding is that weight training is useful if you're
deficient in base strength, but, as Rik Stern says, you're
probably strong enough anyway, and weight training is then
of questionable benefit.

There's a lot of claims and counterclaims made wrt training for
sports, and very few proper studies done to confirm or
deny most of the claims. It's risky to atribute gains made to
a specific drill (eg I climb better because of weight training) when
you'll be doing a lot of other training as well, which may or may
not have made a difference. To climb better, you need to be able
to sustain higher wattages, not increase your peak wattage. That's
done by teaching your body to metabolise more blood lactate, which
is done by longer intervals at high intensity. Climbing is just
an ITT where the bad guy is gravity, not drag. When it comes to
strength for riding, you hint above at neuromuscular adaptations,
which weight training will almost definatly not train for riding -
unless your weights are set up to exactly mimic riding - which is
why I get my riders to do hillsprints as strength training - it's
very specific, which is what we want. We want to ride faster!

I'd rather wear out my cleats than risk hurting my feet 3 days before
the Warny

You don't, like, wear shoes all day long do you? Oh dear. The glorious
life of a uni bum... barefoot all day. (Although it STILL hurt my feet
at Forster.)

I do when there's lots of broken glass around and it's three days out
from a major event that I've spent 12 months training for!

Here's a snippet from Rik's article on cyclingnews, which I'd suggest
is well worth your reading if you have a spare 10 minutes and a
moderatly competant browser.

There have been many studies conducted on strength training to assess
specificity (e.g., Luecke, et al., 1998, Harris et al., 2000, Fagan
and Doyle-Baker, 2000, Bishop et al., 1999, Rich and Cafarelli, 2000),
which have shown no crossover in strength gains to a different
exercise to that which was trained, even in similar exercises.

Furthermore, as strength training increases the amount of contractile
properties within the muscle, and as the muscle undergoes hypertrophy,
there will be a relative decrease in the volume of mitochondria
(energy-producing bodies) within the muscle. Mitochondrion density
increases with aerobic training.

Bishop et al., (1999) conducted a study on elite females (who are
likely less strong compared to age and sport matched males). The
riders were split into two groups: weight and endurance training
cyclists and 'normal' training cyclists (control). Whilst the weight
training group improved leg strength they did not increase their
cycling ability (e.g., 40 km TT, VO2 max, LT, fibre type, etc.).

There are indeed some research data to show that strength training
will increase lactate threshold, and VO2max (etc.), however, almost
exclusively these studies have been performed on untrained
individuals. In untrained individuals, it is well accepted and
understood that any training will induce change.

As regards the ability to comfortably and speedily move a body 112
miles, this will be an entirely aerobic effort, which will not be
limited by strength. Your ability to ride at high velocities for long
periods of time is, as previously stated, a function of VO2max,
lactate threshold, economy (efficiency), and nutritional strategy
[Jones and Carter, 2000]. To my knowledge, no-one has published a
paper that might link weight training and cycling efficiency.

Old April 11th 05, 05:15 AM
Tamyka Bell

Carl Brewer wrote:

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:21:33 +1000, Tamyka Bell
wrote:

snip

Wow, my hill climbing got WAY better when I did weights - but it was
strength/power only, not endurance weights, and my PT made sure I had
PERFECT form for everything... But then weights improved my running
heaps too. Maybe I'm just lucky and respond well to weights? I never do
heaps long term, mostly enough to build the neural response without
building heaps of muscle - and that might be the key.

It's also possible that the weight training had little effect on
its own, but the rest of your training may have made a
more significant contribution than you expected.

Not in this case, actually, because when I was on exactly the same
program without weights, I did not see the same improvements. My coach
wanted me to quit weights and I told him to f$ck off, because after a
few weeks of detraining, I slowed down and started getting injuries.

Also, you're running, which is different again, and
then weights are essentially cross-training. Tri's are
always confused about what they're actually working on

In contrast to weights being cross-training if you're cycling? I don't
understand that statement (but I think the second sentence applies to
pretty much anyone who has accepted someone else's trg prog).

My understanding is that weight training is useful if you're
deficient in base strength, but, as Rik Stern says, you're
probably strong enough anyway, and weight training is then
of questionable benefit.

Although, if you're stronger, your muscles are working at a lower
effort. If you're biomechanically gifted, you're probably pretty
efficient anyway. If not, your stabilisers could probably do with a
tweak. However those programs with leg curls and hammie curls etc will
not help because they fatigue major muscles without working the little
ones so much. Go free weights, go free weights, go free weights...

There's a lot of claims and counterclaims made wrt training for
sports, and very few proper studies done to confirm or
deny most of the claims. It's risky to atribute gains made to
a specific drill (eg I climb better because of weight training) when
you'll be doing a lot of other training as well, which may or may
not have made a difference. To climb better, you need to be able

True. However as above the only change was weights. Incl nutrition/sleep
etc. I also tried an extra day of cycling instead.

to sustain higher wattages, not increase your peak wattage. That's

Again, if you increase your peak wattage, you have more to work with.
Then it's a matter of increasing the amount of time spent at the high
power i.e. interval trg. Well, it's worked wonders for me.

done by teaching your body to metabolise more blood lactate, which
is done by longer intervals at high intensity. Climbing is just
an ITT where the bad guy is gravity, not drag. When it comes to
strength for riding, you hint above at neuromuscular adaptations,
which weight training will almost definatly not train for riding -

That's not entirely true. Greater muscular innervation will improve
response. Which again is why I would not stay on a weights prog during
competition but rather use it as an initial build.

unless your weights are set up to exactly mimic riding - which is
why I get my riders to do hillsprints as strength training - it's
very specific, which is what we want. We want to ride faster!

However, if you're not strong enough to move fast up a hill, you teach
your body bad habits which become patterns. I know a lot of runners who
swear by running up hills but that tends to make me slow, because you
can't run with good flat form by running up hills.

I'd rather wear out my cleats than risk hurting my feet 3 days before
the Warny

You don't, like, wear shoes all day long do you? Oh dear. The glorious
life of a uni bum... barefoot all day. (Although it STILL hurt my feet
at Forster.)

I do when there's lots of broken glass around and it's three days out
from a major event that I've spent 12 months training for!

fairy nuff I'd be worried about rolling an ankle walking on my cleats
though. Hate it. I'm always impressed by the triathletes who run with
their cleats on through transition. I'd much rather leave the shoes on
the bike.

Here's a snippet from Rik's article on cyclingnews, which I'd suggest
is well worth your reading if you have a spare 10 minutes and a
moderatly competant browser.

snip

cool. I read lots of those sorts of papers because that's my research
job. But I still reckon it's what works for the individual. Science
hasn't figured out how aromatherapy and accupuncture and homeopathy work
but they do work for some people. I tried a homeopathic injury tablet
and it made me very ill. But the lotion worked like a charm.

Without weight training, I got injured, I was weak on hills, my running
was slow. I added weights, a program that I devised based on a new
program some friends were trying, and I solved these problems. Being
female, I'm more likely to have weird biomechanics, and I'm a big
q-angle female also. I use weights to train my body posture, my
stabilising muscles, and to strengthen muscle groups. When I added calf
raises to my program, I ceased to get cramped calves when running. Why?
General concensus from fitness professionals was that I was working them
at a lower (relative level) when they were bigger.

If you're working fine without weights, then there's no need to add
them. But I think an interesting experiment would be to take people who
previously had biomechanically based injuries, get them doing a regular
weights program (non-isolation exercises, working balance, total power
gains), and see how their injury rates go after that.

Tam
Old April 11th 05, 06:15 AM
Carl Brewer

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:15:44 +1000, Tamyka Bell
wrote:

Carl Brewer wrote:

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 12:21:33 +1000, Tamyka Bell
wrote:

snip

Wow, my hill climbing got WAY better when I did weights - but it was
strength/power only, not endurance weights, and my PT made sure I had
PERFECT form for everything... But then weights improved my running
heaps too. Maybe I'm just lucky and respond well to weights? I never do
heaps long term, mostly enough to build the neural response without
building heaps of muscle - and that might be the key.

It's also possible that the weight training had little effect on
its own, but the rest of your training may have made a
more significant contribution than you expected.

Not in this case, actually, because when I was on exactly the same
program without weights, I did not see the same improvements. My coach
wanted me to quit weights and I told him to f$ck off, because after a
few weeks of detraining, I slowed down and started getting injuries.

Interesting. Were you doing any on the bike strength work
or all aerobic stuff on the bike? What sort of intervals were you
doing?

Also, you're running, which is different again, and
then weights are essentially cross-training. Tri's are
always confused about what they're actually working on

In contrast to weights being cross-training if you're cycling? I don't
understand that statement (but I think the second sentence applies to
pretty much anyone who has accepted someone else's trg prog).

Mea Culpa. Weights are always cross-training, unless your sport
is weights

My understanding is that weight training is useful if you're
deficient in base strength, but, as Rik Stern says, you're
probably strong enough anyway, and weight training is then
of questionable benefit.

Although, if you're stronger, your muscles are working at a lower
effort.

Yes, but my understanding is that for
most riders, the difference between peak power (1000w)
and sustainable power is so great that it won't make any
significant difference to their sustainable power at or near
LT/MSS* (250-400w).

If you're biomechanically gifted, you're probably pretty
efficient anyway. If not, your stabilisers could probably do with a
tweak. However those programs with leg curls and hammie curls etc will
not help because they fatigue major muscles without working the little
ones so much. Go free weights, go free weights, go free weights...

You're talking about a different thing though, you're talking about
injury prevention and management now, not increasing sustainable
power output *on a bike*. To be fair, you can't put out much power
when you're injured, but that's not what I was talking about

There's a lot of claims and counterclaims made wrt training for
sports, and very few proper studies done to confirm or
deny most of the claims. It's risky to atribute gains made to
a specific drill (eg I climb better because of weight training) when
you'll be doing a lot of other training as well, which may or may
not have made a difference. To climb better, you need to be able

True. However as above the only change was weights. Incl nutrition/sleep
etc. I also tried an extra day of cycling instead.

to sustain higher wattages, not increase your peak wattage. That's

Again, if you increase your peak wattage, you have more to work with.
Then it's a matter of increasing the amount of time spent at the high
power i.e. interval trg. Well, it's worked wonders for me.

My understanding is that the peak is so much higher anyway
that it's essentially irrelevant for a trained rider. this may be
different in other sports and in non-specific sports (ie: tris). The
reason I get my riders doing strength work is because road races
and crits almost always end in a sprint, so there they need peak
power and technique (which is why I do hill sprints and *down* hill
sprints in lieu of motorpaced sprints)

done by teaching your body to metabolise more blood lactate, which
is done by longer intervals at high intensity. Climbing is just
an ITT where the bad guy is gravity, not drag. When it comes to
strength for riding, you hint above at neuromuscular adaptations,
which weight training will almost definatly not train for riding -

That's not entirely true. Greater muscular innervation will improve
response. Which again is why I would not stay on a weights prog during
competition but rather use it as an initial build.

I'd suggest that perhaps it's not just nerve activation, but also the
*right* nerve activation that makes the difference. This
is the core of the specific training argument that Rik refers to.
We're bogging down in details here, and I'm on shaky ground without
re-reading the material so I get it right and give you the right