Mountain biker dies after crash into rollerblader, in LSCR, North Vancouver, BC

Old June 25th 07, 04:14 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Mountain biker dies after crash into rollerblader, in LSCR, North Vancouver, BC

Cyclist in critical condition after crash into rollerblader
Wednesday, June 20 - 03:07:58 PM
Reshmi Nair

NORTH VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - A cyclist is in critical condition after
crashing into a rollerblader on a North Vancouver trail yesterday
afternoon. RCMP say a 42 year old man was speeding downhill along the
Seymour Demonstration Forest trail when he came around a sharp corner
and crashed into a 24 year old woman on rollerblades.

She apparently was on the wrong side of the trail and didn't have time
to get out of the way. The man was wearing a helmet, but Mounties say
he was going so fast, the helmet could not protect him. They say this
is a sad reminder for everyone to be extremely careful, especially
during the warm weather when a lot of people are using the trails.

North Vancouver Mounties say bike and hike safely

Click here to find out more!

Wednesday, June 20 - 11:33:40 PM
Evan Kelly/Katharine Kitts

NORTH VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Summer weather means thousands are
heading outdoors to enjoy the sun. Whether it's mountain biking,
skateboarding or rollerblading, RCMP are warning people taking in
summer activities to keep safety high on the priority list. A
42-year-old North Vancouver man is in critical condition after
crashing his bicycle into a rollerblader on Tuesday.

Constable Michael McLaughlin with North Vancouver RCMP said it's a
busy time of year and there are a lot more people on the public
pathways. He said people need to take precautions with regards to
safety equipment like helmets and make sure they are aware of their
surroundings.

He said tragic accidents happen every year because people aren't
prepared before they enjoy the benefits of living in the Lower
Mainland.

Sad footnote to this story:

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=98137&page=2

Today, 10:38 AM #16
counterpoint
Bald Growler

counterpoint's Avatar

Location: vandamouver
Rep Power: 29 counterpoint has reached the snowline!counterpoint has
reached the snowline!counterpoint has reached the
snowline!counterpoint has reached the snowline!counterpoint has
reached the snowline!counterpoint has reached the
snowline!counterpoint has reached the snowline!counterpoint has
reached the snowline!counterpoint has reached the
snowline!counterpoint has reached the snowline!counterpoint has
reached the snowline!
I know Jack very well. Rode the velodome with him. He was my
brother-in-law's best friend. He was training for a triathalon and the
roller blader was on the wrong side of the path. He passed away last
night at 9:30pm. The helmet was pushed forward leaving the back of his
head exposed when he hit the concrete. The rollerblader was a 22 year
old female with a few broken bones but she'll be OK. Such split second
stuff it's almost incomprehendable.
__________________
counterpoint is offline Offline
Also stated by "counterpoint":
"HIs titanium bike was also snapped in half. He leaves behind two
parents and a spouse and his step-daughters. Great Guy."
__________________
Old Today, 08:16 AM #6
yellowdogx
Proletarian greetings

Location: Redneck Langley
Rep Power: 10 counterpoint has reached the snowline!counterpoint has
reached the snowline!counterpoint has reached the
snowline!counterpoint has reached the snowline!counterpoint has
reached the snowline!counterpoint has reached the snowline!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch_Surfer View Post
My wife told me about this story. Poor bugger, coming around a corner
and some stupid fruitbooter is on the wrong side of the road.

Hope he gets better.
While I agree the rollerblader may be at fault for being on the wrong
side, every time I have ridden up there there has been kids / old
people / newbs ridding that trail so why exactly would you put
yourself and others at risk by going down at mach 2?

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Old Today, 08:16 AM #6
yellowdogx
Proletarian greetings

Location: Redneck Langley
Rep Power: 10 counterpoint has reached the snowline!counterpoint has
reached the snowline!counterpoint has reached the
snowline!counterpoint has reached the snowline!counterpoint has
reached the snowline!counterpoint has reached the snowline!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch_Surfer View Post
My wife told me about this story. Poor bugger, coming around a corner
and some stupid fruitbooter is on the wrong side of the road.

Hope he gets better.
While I agree the rollerblader may be at fault for being on the wrong
side, every time I have ridden up there there has been kids / old
people / newbs ridding that trail so why exactly would you put
yourself and others at risk by going down at mach 2?

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

"She(rollerblader) apparently was on the wrong side of the trail "

Old June 26th 07, 12:38 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Anthony DeLorenzo

On Jun 25, 8:14 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
RCMP say a 42 year old man was speeding downhill along the
Seymour Demonstration Forest trail when he came around a sharp corner
and crashed into a 24 year old woman on rollerblades.

Hey Mike,

I hate to ruin a good story with facts, but it's a paved multi-use
trail, created to keep all of us horrible habitat destroying humans
where we belong and not running about tearing up the earth. You
probably lost a fellow believer in that accident.

Even if I didn't know the trail was paved, I probably could have
deduced it from the fact that someone was *rollerblading* on it. (And
I don't even have a PhD!)

Also, the story says nothing about the person riding a mountain bike.
AFAIK it was a road bike.

Regards,
Anthony

Old June 26th 07, 01:38 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

Who died?

He was on a pathway else the lady going the worng way on roller blades would
not have been there.

You just blamed a fatal (your words) accident on the victim, whom appears to
not have been at fault at all. According to the account you posted, the
victim was on the right side of the road/trail when he struck somebody going
the wrong way on the wrong side of the street.

Paris Hilton was stopped for driving the wrong way on the freeway; had she
managed to run into somebody, you would blame the person she hit for their
injuries.

Old Today, 08:16 AM #6
yellowdogx
Proletarian greetings

Location: Redneck Langley
Rep Power: 10 counterpoint has reached the snowline!counterpoint has
reached the snowline!counterpoint has reached the
snowline!counterpoint has reached the snowline!counterpoint has
reached the snowline!counterpoint has reached the snowline!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch_Surfer View Post
My wife told me about this story. Poor bugger, coming around a corner
and some stupid fruitbooter is on the wrong side of the road.

Hope he gets better.
While I agree the rollerblader may be at fault for being on the wrong
side, every time I have ridden up there there has been kids / old
people / newbs ridding that trail so why exactly would you put
yourself and others at risk by going down at mach 2?

Please don't put a cell phone next to any part of your body that you are
fond of!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Old June 26th 07, 02:42 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Shawn

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Paris Hilton was stopped for driving the wrong way on the freeway; had
she managed to run into somebody, you would blame the person she hit for
their injuries.

Dude, I mean it is *Paris*.
Old June 26th 07, 03:00 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 23:38:24 -0000, Anthony DeLorenzo
wrote:

On Jun 25, 8:14 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:
RCMP say a 42 year old man was speeding downhill along the
Seymour Demonstration Forest trail when he came around a sharp corner
and crashed into a 24 year old woman on rollerblades.

Hey Mike,

I hate to ruin a good story with facts, but it's a paved multi-use
trail, created to keep all of us horrible habitat destroying humans
where we belong and not running about tearing up the earth. You
probably lost a fellow believer in that accident.

Even if I didn't know the trail was paved, I probably could have
deduced it from the fact that someone was *rollerblading* on it. (And
I don't even have a PhD!)

Also, the story says nothing about the person riding a mountain bike.
AFAIK it was a road bike.

I heard it from someone who lives nearby. I'll double-check.

Regards,
Anthony

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 26th 07, 03:01 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 00:38:17 GMT, "Jeff Strickland"
wrote:

Who died?

He was on a pathway else the lady going the worng way on roller blades would
not have been there.

You just blamed a fatal (your words) accident on the victim, whom appears to
not have been at fault at all.

Thanks for demonstrating once again just what a moron you are. He was
obviously SPEEDING. He was training for a triathlon. DUH!

According to the account you posted, the
victim was on the right side of the road/trail when he struck somebody going
the wrong way on the wrong side of the street.

Paris Hilton was stopped for driving the wrong way on the freeway; had she
managed to run into somebody, you would blame the person she hit for their
injuries.

.. .

Old Today, 08:16 AM #6
yellowdogx
[...]

And he was speeding. Your point?

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 26th 07, 03:26 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Jeff Strickland

"Mike Vandeman" wrote in message

You just blamed a fatal (your words) accident on the victim, whom appears
not have been at fault at all.

Thanks for demonstrating once again just what a moron you are. He was
obviously SPEEDING. He was training for a triathlon. DUH!

Maybe he was speeding, but he was on the right side of the trail, and there
was no indication that he caused the accident, and every indication that the
accident was caused by the other party being on the wrong side of the
pathway.

Using your guidelines, if Paris Hilton had been in a headon with a speeder
accident while she was driving on the wrong side of the road, Paris would be
an innocent victim.

Old June 26th 07, 03:53 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bill Z.

wrote:

Who died?

He was on a pathway else the lady going the worng way on roller blades would
not have been there.

You just blamed a fatal (your words) accident on the victim, whom appears to
not have been at fault at all.

Thanks for demonstrating once again just what a moron you are. He was
obviously SPEEDING. He was training for a triathlon. DUH!

Don't you know that in a triathlon, one uses a road bike and rides on
a paved surface (also needed for roller blades, which work poorly if
at all on dirt)?