Might spend money on a Full Suspension uni

Old February 6th 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

Default Might spend money on a Full Suspension uni

I was reading about the Guwi, and i began to think back to summer. I had
read a few times and read other threads, about full suspension
unicycles. Mostly just plans. I decided that at some point (now the
near future) that i'd buy 3-5 rock shocks, and mount them in a rim. I
had it all solved. 5 shocks probably, so the rim doesnt taco totaly.
And then each has pivots in them, on the rim, so it will be able to
move when the tire does. The frame would need to be entirely custom
built, as to acomidate the tire. I'd end up using the back tire off an
enduro motorcycle, which the the rim would be just stiff enough not to
taco, and a frame that would give a few inches of freespace between
tire and frame. Either that, or i'd take like 7 smaller shocks, and
mount them in like a 24'' rim. It wouldnt taco as easily, that in
itself would work fairly well. Well, care to add suggestions? lol, post
any further ideas. and I KNOW THAT THERES a thread like this, but this
is my ideas on it. And im also planning to do this at some point, and
maybe bring her to mondo

--
unibikeling

unibikeling wrote:

chrome wrote:
Difficult to mount, but a fun ride once you get her going....

-if only my unicycle was that dirty

'lol...' (http://www.internetisseriousbusiness.com)

my 'myspace' (http://www.myspace.com/gramwashere)
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 6th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
TheObieOne3226

I believe the word "full" is unnecessary here.

--
TheObieOne3226

'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)
'Arrow Racing' (http://www.arrowracing.com/)
'Sixsixone' (http://www.sixsixone.com)

\"obie is definately a trend setter, i got in to unicycling because of
him, and came here because of him\" - kj-52

\"try not to annoy the great obie, for he is better than us.\" - murde
mental

*disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if
you are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i
don't feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where
not everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.*
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 6th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Uni-Ouly

i had an idea a little while ago about the whole suspension uni thing.
so lets say you cut a hub in half, hollow out the inside so theres
space in side, weld a heavy spring to the two ends on the inside so it
could twist, attach the to halves so they could twist but not pull
apart then build your wheel.

I have no clue if this will work at all because i have no clue how much
force is being put on it. nor do i know if the rim would work if the
spokes were constantly twisting.

just wanted to run it by the more experienced engineers.

--
Uni-Ouly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCsYZ_0HM8o

i like smilys
but am unfortinatly limited to 10
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 6th 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

sounds good i guess, but, are you talking about mounting like 2 seperate
wheels so to speak on it?

--
unibikeling

Old February 6th 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

or.... we could take a guni and mount it so the gears/chain can
slide/move with the wheel. So the frame and pedals will stay hooked
together sorta. i'll just draw up plans and scan em or something...
here.. brb

--
unibikeling

Old February 6th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

had you considered that the shocks and springs from a bike would be far
too stiff for this use?

--
kington99

Dave

http://www.usenet.com

Old February 6th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

The problem with the first design is that however much travel you give
it, it will rotate by up to that amount when you pedal, and wind up,
when you stop pedalling it will unwind. You can actually buy some cheap
nasty unicycles made like this. They don't work because of the wind up.

To make a full suspension muni, you really need to make some kind of
giraffe or equivalent cos the pedals need to not be fixed to the wheel
axis.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 6th 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

unibikeling wrote:
if they were too soft the rim would squash and break

yes, so you need to find a happy medium, and standard bike shocks won't
be it.

Also what Joe said, I've ridden one of those crappy 3 shock spoke uni
bike things, altering the shock stiffness changes the ride from too
stiff to make any difference, to too sloppy to ride in a straight line,
with no middle ground.

--
kington99

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 6th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

i think i know just what your talking about
edit: i just drew this up like 5 minutes ago, its my idea for a
suspensioned frame
[image:
http://a571.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...4d0b86942.jpg]

--
unibikeling

unibikeling wrote:

chrome wrote:
Difficult to mount, but a fun ride once you get her going....

-if only my unicycle was that dirty

'lol...' (http://www.internetisseriousbusiness.com)

my 'myspace' (http://www.myspace.com/gramwashere)
http://www.usenet.com

earn money and spend one day with BRITNY SPEAR. READ THIS [email protected] UK 0 January 21st 08 10:18 AM
Full Suspension peter.kidwell Off Road 2 July 27th 04 08:43 PM
About to spend money... can anyone talk me into a Bianchi SASS and skip the Mono Cog? Lobo Tommy Mountain Biking 21 March 29th 04 04:01 PM
About to spend money... can anyone talk me into a Bianchi SASS and skip the Mono Cog? Lobo Tommy General 17 March 29th 04 06:02 AM