Beginner Needs Advice

Old March 26th 04, 07:33 PM
cazztafarian

Default Beginner Needs Advice

Hey All,

I usually bike ride on paths on the weekend - nothing nutty and
totally for my own enjoyment. I actually don't even know how many
miles I do. I recently quit smoking and decided to set some new goals
- one of them in biking in a 40 mile bike tour around NYC.

Any advice on training tips is appreciated. Also - any words of wisdom
on what to carry with me is encouraged, also.

Thanks all - this girl is all ears.
Old March 26th 04, 11:04 PM
mtoverton

"Not the Karl Orff" wrote in message
In article ,
(cazztafarian) wrote:

Hey All,

I usually bike ride on paths on the weekend - nothing nutty and
totally for my own enjoyment. I actually don't even know how many
miles I do. I recently quit smoking and decided to set some new goals
- one of them in biking in a 40 mile bike tour around NYC.

Any advice on training tips is appreciated. Also - any words of wisdom
on what to carry with me is encouraged, also.

spin, use your gears to make it easy to go uphills or against the wind,
not strain and struggle with a high gear

Just starting out and aiming for a 40 mi ride is a great goal. There are
some specific rules about increasing your mileage as you build on your
training. I am unsure of them at this time but you should start out short
and sweet. Say 10 mile rides for a week and then increase your mileage 10%
to 20% a week. (I say there are "rules" from my years as a runner about
building your distance over time and I am sure they apply to cycling too).
Make sure you are well hydrated before and during each ride (carry one or
two water bottles on you bike frame) and take along an energy bar to snack
on at about 20 miles on your 40 mile ride. As you work towards the "big
ride" you should plan on pulling off one or two 25-30 milers before your
goal. Take is slow, it's not a race the goal is to finish...right? Go for it
! mto

Old March 27th 04, 05:16 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
(cazztafarian) writes:
Hey All,

I usually bike ride on paths on the weekend - nothing nutty and
totally for my own enjoyment.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's the best way.

I actually don't even know how many
miles I do.

Believe it or not, I find that enviable. I've become
addicted to my cyclocomputer and logging my rides.
One of the most enduring aspects of cycling is its
intrinsic simplicity. I've gone and added complexity
to it. I really don't like the look of my bike's frame
being entangled in cyclocomputer and generator wires.

I recently quit smoking

Good move! I hope to do the same. Anyhow, now you'll
be able to spend all that former smoking money on bike
stuff, and it'll be more of an investment than an expense.

and decided to set some new goals
- one of them in biking in a 40 mile bike tour around NYC.

Any advice on training tips is appreciated.

I tried a Google search on keywords "cycling training" and
all kinds of stuff cropped up. But it all seems geared for
ppl who are into really strict regimens, competition and
gung-ho-ness. And since you say "nothing nutty and totally
for my own enjoyment," those sites might be a little hardcore
for you right now. Nevertheless, there may be some this-&-thats
which might be useful to you in there.

I then tried refining my search with keywords "cycling training
overreaching", but that just turned up a bunch of scary stuff
about fatigue that could make anhypochondriac out of just
about anybody. But anyhow, overreaching (but not overtraining)
is how we get from one level or plateau of performance to the next.

Another training tactic is "intervals". A Google search on
"cycling training intervals" will cough up all kinds of info
on that, too. And will explain what intervals are, better than
I can do here.

My personal advice is, if you live in an area with hilly (or at
least humpy) terrain: find a hill that you can almost but not
quite make it up to the top. Periodically and routinely attack
that hill, using low gears and seated position, until you conquer
it. And by "conquering it", I mean getting to the crest fresh,
and not out of breath or achy. Once you've conquered that hill,
look for another that presents the same challenge, and conquer
that one, too. And so on, and so on, until no terrain is safe
from you.

Also - any words of wisdom
on what to carry with me is encouraged, also.

Best thing of all to carry is a smile. Next best thing is
a bunch of Kleenex.

A spare inner tube, pump, tire levers and the easily &
readily acquired know-how to change a flat tire are
all collectively useful.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.

Old March 28th 04, 02:58 AM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

The best advise is the simplest; Ride.

Ride a little further each tme (your body will tell you if you're
pushing too hard). You might want to consider joining a local bike club,
just make sure it's a recreational club, not a race club! You're just
startingt out, remember!

Training is always more fum when you're with others, and the other
members can give you advice along the way, especially since they can see
your riding style. And, if you're in NYC, it'll be safer too.

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old March 28th 04, 10:27 AM
Frederic Briere

DRS wrote:
to it. I really don't like the look of my bike's frame
being entangled in cyclocomputer and generator wires.

That's why God invented cordless computers. Sheesh. :-)

And when does She plan on inventing the cordless generator?

--
Frederic Briere *

= IS NO MO http://www.abacomsucks.com =
Old March 28th 04, 07:25 PM
Bernie

Frederic Briere wrote in message ...
DRS wrote:
to it. I really don't like the look of my bike's frame
being entangled in cyclocomputer and generator wires.

That's why God invented cordless computers. Sheesh. :-)

And when does She plan on inventing the cordless generator?

http://www.bikelite.com/

If you deal with them, do it by email or fax. They really don't do on line orders.
Nice quality, quick service, 2 inches of wire.
Bernie
Old March 28th 04, 07:51 PM
DRS

Bernie wrote in message

[...]

http://www.bikelite.com/

If you deal with them, do it by email or fax. They really don't do
on line orders.
Nice quality, quick service, 2 inches of wire.

I remember rim dynamos from my youth.

shudder

--

"I'm proud that I live in a country where witnessing two hours of bloody,
barbarous torture in gloating detail is considered indicia of religious

First Bike Advice Marc Jennings General 3 February 5th 04 03:19 PM
Rental advice needed for Anaheim, CA area John General 1 December 9th 03 10:30 PM
Beginner seeking advice Joe S. General 5 October 13th 03 10:57 PM
Advice on buying used road bike Michael S. Moorhead General 4 August 6th 03 04:06 AM