Nashbar Compromised Credit Card Information, Check Your Credit CardStatements if You've Shopped at Nashbar in the past several years.

Old July 17th 09, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
SMS

Default Nashbar Compromised Credit Card Information, Check Your Credit CardStatements if You've Shopped at Nashbar in the past several years.

I started seeing strange charges on my credit card bill in the past two
weeks, so I did a search on the names of the fraudulent companies and
found that it was Bike Nashbar who compromised credit card information,

See
"http://bikeportland.org/2009/07/14/fraud-hits-local-customers-of-online-retailer-nashbar/#more-21011"

Some of the charges are pretty small, so you might not realize that they
are there unless you scrutinize your bill.

On my card there were charges from

gglprofit.com
APL*MOBILEME
WWW.FEDGRANTUSA.COM

Other fraudulent charges mentioned were

networkagenda.com

Nashbar has not notified their customers. I called them and they
admitted the problem, but were rather rude about it. They said that
they'd be sending out a letter. They did not offer any compensation. I
had to pay for express shipping of a new credit card or be without the
card that I have all my bills charged to for two weeks. I also have to
go in and update about 20 billers. What a pain in the butt.

Contrast their behavior with that of REI when REI sent out the wrong
dividend notices to a bunch of customers (the dividend notice was
different than the address on the sales flier sent out with the
dividend). They sent a letter apologizing, and included a $25 gift card,
even though no customer lost any money as a result of the mix-up. I got
my neighbors dividend notice, a friend of mine got my dividend notice.

Old July 17th 09, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
Neil Brooks

On Jul 17, 2:28*pm, SMS wrote:
I started seeing strange charges on my credit card bill in the past two
weeks, so I did a search on the names of the fraudulent companies and
found that it was Bike Nashbar who compromised credit card information,

[snip]

Sorry you got hit by this, Steven.

It's a relatively old story, and relatively well-documented.
Old July 17th 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
Jay Beattie

On Jul 17, 1:28*pm, SMS wrote:
[...]

How do they know that the credit card information was hacked from
Nashbar as opposed to some other source? I only ask because my credit
card company called me a few weeks ago and asked if I had made some
large purchases at some catalog stores. I said "no," and they
cancelled the card and sent me a new one. The charges never even hit
my account.

I thought it was really weird that someone was watching my account so
closely and even thought I was being scammed by the person purporting
to be from the credit card company, but he did not ask for any
sensitive information, so I figured he was legit -- and he was,
because I got new cards in a day or two. I never lost my card.
Someone got my number from some other source.-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 18th 09, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
Don Freeman[_2_]

Jay Beattie wrote:
On Jul 17, 1:28 pm, SMS wrote:
I started seeing strange charges on my credit card bill in the past two
weeks, so I did a search on the names of the fraudulent companies and
found that it was Bike Nashbar who compromised credit card information,

I thought it was really weird that someone was watching my account so
closely

It's not so much that they are actively watching your account. There is
software that monitors your purchases for anything out of your normal
buying pattern. If such is detected then the program alerts a human for
a closer look and, as in your case, a follow-up with the customer.
Old July 18th 09, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jul 17, 6:55*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

How do they know that the credit card information was hacked from
Nashbar as opposed to some other source? *

At least one poster has reported that he uses name variations on
purchases, that allow him to tell which retailer is the source of
credit card scams. That's supposedly one of the ways we know, but the
credit card company has some other method.

I only ask because my credit
card company called me a few weeks ago and asked if I had made some
large purchases at some catalog stores. *I said "no," and they
cancelled the card and sent me a new one. *The charges never even hit
my account.

The same has happened to me. I don't know the algorithm the credit
card company uses, but mine detected some very small charges that were
not legitimate and quickly sent me a new card.

In fact, the friend who recommended this credit card to me advised me
to be sure to notify them before taking any trips to distant places.
Apparently, she got questioning phone calls from their security people
when she took an unexpected vacation!

It's a little reassuring, and simultaneously a little disturbing, in a
Big Brother sort of way.

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 18th 09, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
SMS

Neil Brooks wrote:
On Jul 17, 2:28 pm, SMS wrote:
I started seeing strange charges on my credit card bill in the past two
weeks, so I did a search on the names of the fraudulent companies and
found that it was Bike Nashbar who compromised credit card information,

[snip]

Sorry you got hit by this, Steven.

It's a relatively old story, and relatively well-documented.

Hmm,
"http://bikeportland.org/2009/07/14/fraud-hits-local-customers-of-online-retailer-nashbar/#more-21011"
only put it up two days ago. I hadn't heard of it until today, and I
didn't get hit until June 26th. So the information may have been stolen
in December, but whoever did it is still using it.
Old July 18th 09, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
recycled[_2_]

"Don Freeman" wrote in message
Jay Beattie wrote:
On Jul 17, 1:28 pm, SMS wrote:
I started seeing strange charges on my credit card bill in the past two
weeks, so I did a search on the names of the fraudulent companies and
found that it was Bike Nashbar who compromised credit card information,

I thought it was really weird that someone was watching my account so
closely

It's not so much that they are actively watching your account. There is
software that monitors your purchases for anything out of your normal
buying pattern. If such is detected then the program alerts a human for a
closer look and, as in your case, a follow-up with the customer.

Ya. There was a hubbub a couple years ago around here because the software
would flag what it considered suspicious purchases, usually involving
gasoline. Somehow certain too frequent purchases were flagged causing
legitimate users to have their cards declined. Basically they had to tweak
the software. Being of the bike I never experienced it firsthand.

One thing I wondered about a few years ago when I went on vacation is if
that sort of thing might happen. A credit card I had used for years
exclusive in around Guelph would get flagged if it suddenly started being
used in Nova Scotia. I made sure to carry an alternate cc and a bank atm
card. I don't know the details of the software but I guess it made sense in
that the various preparation purchases, transit to NS, shipment of the bike,
etc jibed with each other.

What you can do if you are planning a trip is to inform your CC company in
advance that your are indeed going to be travelling to region X .

Old July 18th 09, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
sally

One newspaper report said that Nashbar has started quietly contacting
customers affected by the break-in. However, reports of Nashbar-related
fraud go back 6-12 months.
Old July 18th 09, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
Hank

On Jul 17, 3:55*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Jul 17, 1:28*pm, SMS wrote:

[...]

Someone got my number from some other source.-- Jay Beattie.- Hide quoted text -

Same here, I got a call back in February with the same thing,
suspicious charges that I didn't make, so I had my credit card and my
debit card replaced over the span of a week. The worst part was that
my new debit card, which arrived on Thursday, needed a new PIN, which
didn't arrive until Monday. I learned this on Friday, when I couldn't
make a withdrawal from an ATM, and after I'd shredded my old card.

I have no reason to think it had anything to do with Nashbar, though.
I'd heard it was a processing company. My last order from Nashbar was
almost a year ago (8/6/08).