Nashbar Compromised Credit Card Information, Check Your Credit CardStatements if You've Shopped at Nashbar in the past several years.

Old July 18th 09, 04:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
SMS

Default Nashbar Compromised Credit Card Information, Check Your CreditCard Statements if You've Shopped at Nashbar in the past several years.

Hank wrote:

I have no reason to think it had anything to do with Nashbar, though.
I'd heard it was a processing company. My last order from Nashbar was
almost a year ago (8/6/08).

I think I may get a Visa or Mastercard that lets you create virtual
credit cards for on-line purchases. For some reason they never took off,
too much hassle I guess, but they seem like a good idea.

"http://www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/index.cfm?template=learn_about_shopsafe"
Old July 18th 09, 09:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 19:51:00 -0400, "recycled"
wrote:

There was a hubbub a couple years ago around here because the software
would flag what it considered suspicious purchases, usually involving
gasoline. Somehow certain too frequent purchases were flagged causing
legitimate users to have their cards declined. Basically they had to tweak
the software. Being of the bike I never experienced it firsthand.

One thing I wondered about a few years ago when I went on vacation is if
that sort of thing might happen. A credit card I had used for years
exclusive in around Guelph would get flagged if it suddenly started being
used in Nova Scotia. I made sure to carry an alternate cc and a bank atm
card.

Good advice.

Old July 19th 09, 07:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
Michael Press

In article
,
Jay Beattie wrote:

How do they know that the credit card information was hacked from
Nashbar as opposed to some other source? I only ask because my credit
card company called me a few weeks ago and asked if I had made some
large purchases at some catalog stores. I said "no," and they
cancelled the card and sent me a new one. The charges never even hit
my account.

I thought it was really weird that someone was watching my account so
closely and even thought I was being scammed by the person purporting
to be from the credit card company, but he did not ask for any
sensitive information, so I figured he was legit -- and he was,
because I got new cards in a day or two. I never lost my card.
Someone got my number from some other source.-- Jay Beattie.

One day I got up, took the car for a gas fill up;
went to a store to buy a tuxedo; then drove to
the office. Within a few minutes of arrival I got
a call from the credit card company because the
pattern of purchase matched a stolen card: small
purchase for a try, then a large purchase. Also
I almost never have a large purchase on the card.
I told them that I made the purchases myself.

--
Michael Press
Old July 19th 09, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
Ben Pfaff

Michael Press writes:

One day I got up, took the car for a gas fill up;
went to a store to buy a tuxedo; then drove to
the office. Within a few minutes of arrival I got
a call from the credit card company because the
pattern of purchase matched a stolen card: small
purchase for a try, then a large purchase. Also
I almost never have a large purchase on the card.
I told them that I made the purchases myself.

To bring us back to bicycles, one day several years ago I bought
an expensive bicycle and got a call from the credit card company
while I was still standing at the cash register.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org
Old July 20th 09, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
Tim McNamara

In article ,
Ben Pfaff wrote:

Michael Press writes:

One day I got up, took the car for a gas fill up; went to a store
to buy a tuxedo; then drove to the office. Within a few minutes of
arrival I got a call from the credit card company because the
pattern of purchase matched a stolen card: small purchase for a
try, then a large purchase. Also I almost never have a large
purchase on the card. I told them that I made the purchases myself.

To bring us back to bicycles, one day several years ago I bought an
expensive bicycle and got a call from the credit card company while I
was still standing at the cash register.

Well, given that they are on the hook for paying the bills charged to
stolen cards and you aren't (except for the first $50), it's in their
interest to check. I don't mind if they do.
Old July 20th 09, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
Jay Beattie

On Jul 19, 4:46*pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,
*Ben Pfaff wrote:

Michael Press writes:

One day I got up, took the car for a gas fill up; went to a store
to buy a tuxedo; then drove to the office. Within a few minutes of
arrival I got a call from the credit card company because the
pattern of purchase matched a stolen card: small purchase for a
try, then a large purchase. Also I almost never have a large
purchase on the card. I told them that I made the purchases myself.

To bring us back to bicycles, one day several years ago I bought an
expensive bicycle and got a call from the credit card company while I
was still standing at the cash register.

Well, given that they are on the hook for paying the bills charged to
stolen cards and you aren't (except for the first $50), it's in their
interest to check. *I don't mind if they do.

Ultimately, the merchant pays along with a chargeback fee. This is an
appropriate arrangement since the merchant ultimately controls who can
or cannot purchas on credit. -- Jay Beattie.

Old July 20th 09, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
Papa Tom

Now that I've read this thread, I suppose the fraudulent charges on my card
(which took a few weeks to clear up) stem from Nasbar, too. My charges were
for a government grant program, a book club, some blank business cards, and
others listed here. Mystery solved! Fortunately, all charges were refunded
to me and, after I spent $15 for FEDEX shipping of a new credit card, no
further suspicious purchases have appeared.

Old July 20th 09, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
recycled[_2_]

"Papa Tom" wrote in message
Now that I've read this thread, I suppose the fraudulent charges on my
card (which took a few weeks to clear up) stem from Nasbar, too. My
charges were for a government grant program, a book club, some blank
business cards, and others listed here. Mystery solved! Fortunately, all
charges were refunded to me and, after I spent $15 for FEDEX shipping of a
new credit card, no further suspicious purchases have appeared.

While possibly overkill I read one personal finance/fraud prevention guide
whose author suggested regularly reporting cards as lost. Basically every
January he would report his cc lost and get a new one issued as he figured
the card has been handled by too many retailers over the Christmas season.

I don't do that but I do watch charges closely on-line and would know very
quickly if charges I did not make showed up. None have except once by a
'legitimate' company that made a mistake.

Old July 21st 09, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
gwandsh

On Jul 17, 4:14*pm, Don Freeman wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:
On Jul 17, 1:28 pm, SMS wrote:
I started seeing strange charges on my credit card bill in the past two
weeks, so I did a search on the names of the fraudulent companies and
found that it was Bike Nashbar who compromised credit card information,

I thought it was really weird that someone was watching my account so
closely

It's not so much that they are actively watching your account. *There is
software that monitors your purchases for anything out of your normal
buying pattern. *If such is detected then the program alerts a human for
* a closer look and, as in your case, a follow-up with the customer.

We recently recieved a letter from our credit card company indicating
that one of the vendors we had purhcased from had reported their
records compromised. They were automatically re-issuing new cards to
CC users who had done business with that vendor. We called and they
would not disclose the name of the vendor. Nashbar is a definite
possibility.
Old July 21st 09, 06:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles,phl.bicycles
SMS

Papa Tom wrote:
Now that I've read this thread, I suppose the fraudulent charges on my card
(which took a few weeks to clear up) stem from Nasbar, too. My charges were
for a government grant program, a book club, some blank business cards, and
others listed here. Mystery solved! Fortunately, all charges were refunded
to me and, after I spent $15 for FEDEX shipping of a new credit card, no
further suspicious purchases have appeared.

The criminals were pretty clever, rather than putting large charges on
the cards that cardholders are likely to notice, they do mass quantities
of small charges. If I hadn't been searching for a specific charge then
I probably wouldn't have noticed three charges adding up to less than $15.

I also had to spend money on the fedexing of a new card, but my provider
only charges $8.