24" vs. 26" Muni

Old January 25th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zfreak220

Default 24" vs. 26" Muni

maybe renegade, you should email him. but tim at trialsin doesn't stock
unicycles cause he is just testing the market right now.

--
zfreak220

iridemymuni wrote:
i think everybody agrees when i say you lucky son of a bitch

howdigetsogood wrote:
man i used to think scooters were totally lame, but after that 'video'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=57071), oh wait
nevermind i still do.

zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948

Old January 26th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tigger

Why yes I have made cardiac hill on my 24"

--
Tigger

Ride it like you stole it from someone who didn't know how to use it!
Tigger's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8877

Old January 26th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
trials_uni

Im a fan of my 24" Muni. And i dont think you *need* a brake but it can
be helpful and it will make your uni look tough.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
'And the Spline Maintenance Guide!'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52195)*UPDATED!!!With
Video*

*Caution-I may have no idea what im talking about*

Old November 4th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CoreTechs

I've pre-ordered a 26" ISIS MUni with 137mm Moments from municycle.ca
and I'm not 100% sure if I've made the right choice for the rim
size. I think I could handle a 26" with those cranks (I ride my coker up
and down steep hills with 102s). What would be the major advantage of
24" over the 26" if I decide to change my order?

--
CoreTechs

UNICYCLE FOR CHRIST

In nomine patris et filii et spiritus sancti

)--21stOverall-RTL2008-O
)--18thCriterium-RTL2008-O
Old November 4th 08, 07:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

CoreTechs;1124258 wrote:
I've pre-ordered a 26" ISIS MUni with 137mm Moments from municycle.ca
and I'm not 100% sure if I've made the right choice for the rim size. I
think I could handle a 26" with those cranks (I ride my coker up and
down steep hills with 102s). What would be the major advantage of 24"
over the 26" if I decide to change my order?

I just set up a 26 x 2.6 with the 137/165 moments; only rides on the
137s so far, but seems good. Nearly as fast at 29er, but more cush and
ability to tractor through some nasty stuff that would be tossing the 29
around a lot.

--
pkittle

*==========================
Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
"The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
--Billy Bragg
Old November 4th 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

CoreTechs;1124258 wrote:
I've pre-ordered a 26" ISIS MUni with 137mm Moments from municycle.ca
and I'm not 100% sure if I've made the right choice for the rim size. I
think I could handle a 26" with those cranks (I ride my coker up and
down steep hills with 102s). What would be the major advantage of 24"
over the 26" if I decide to change my order?

The only real advantage of a 24 is it is slightly lighter and possibly
a bit easier to control in tight places (you could put on longer cranks
for that)

I think you will be happy with a 26, I know I am.

--
saskatchewanian
Old November 4th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Nurse Ben

A lot of the 24 vs 26 vs 29 debate is really null until you factor in
rider experience. As a new rider, I started on a 24, felt like I
couldn't "clear" certain obstacles, so I went up to a 26 which helped me
with trail obstructions, but slowed down my response time due to
increase weight and mass. I rode the 26 until I got a 29, then sold the
26 to pick up a 24.

I have been riding the 29 on the same trails as the 26 for a month, it
took maybe 3-4 rides to begin to approach my riding ability on the 26,
though there is still some size related issues that make a 29 harder to
ride; it's just so tall and the tire is so narrow.

I finally took my 24 on a ride the other day and I was amazed! I could
clear everything, was far more agile, had no problem with cadence, was
able to climb well, wow!

So here's what I think happened: I'm a new rider, maybe six months
since first learning to ride, muni maybe three months, so I'm still
learning some riding basics. I worked hard to make the larger wheels
ride, which has transferred back to improved rideability on the 24.

If I had to do it again I would have started with a 24, then got a 29
to expand my options. I don't think a 26 is a bad ride, but it felt like
a middle ground where I had the weight of a 29er, some increased height
over the 24, but not that much improvement in covering terrain.

So ask yourself: Do you want to struggle or do you want to progress
faster? Where is you primary interest? What's your setup? Longer cranks
improve stability and power, but at the cost of cadence and speed.

I have learned to ride with 150's on my 24 and 29. Sure, 165's would
improve my climbing and descending, but I don't want to give up the
smoother cadence at speed. I find that I can spin out down a hill that
previously would have required braking, now that's cool!

--
Nurse Ben
Old November 4th 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Nurse Ben

I've pre-ordered a 26" ISIS MUni with 137mm Moments from municycle.ca
and I'm not 100% sure if I've made the right choice for the rim size. I
think I could handle a 26" with those cranks (I ride my coker up and
down steep hills with 102s). What would be the major advantage of 24"
over the 26" if I decide to change my order?

Muni ain't pavement! You can't really compare a Coker with 102's to
riding off road on a 24/26, thats like comparing an eighteen wheeler to
a sports car!

BTW, did you specifiy the Isis Muni frame with brake mounts? I don't
know if they're available yet, so you may be buying old stock. Wait for
the new frames, the brake mount is well worth it. Otherwise the Isis is
the same uni from last years model.

I think your crank length is pretty short. Lots of folks ride a 24/26
with a 160-165, most ride a 150, few ride a 135 or 125. A short crank
may be great for rolling smooth ground, gravel roads, etc... but that
ain't enough crank to handle a technical trail unless it is way flat. If
you really want the shorter crank, get a dual hole 150/125 or 165/135.

Now if you are a hot shot muni rider already, then the 135 might work
fine, but if you're asking us, well you probably aren't

--
Nurse Ben
Old November 4th 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Nurse Ben

[...]

I love Muni!

--
Nurse Ben
Old November 4th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniSano

I know this has been covered before, but a 29" frame with a 26x3 type
tire is almost a 29er, better in my opinion for muni. I used to have a
28" frame with a 26x3 Gazz and it was effectively a 28" diameter tire.
Granted it wouldn't perform the same as a skinny 29er tire but I loved
the way that thing rolled over stuff... Until I got my KH24! For me and
most of the terrain I ride there is no reason to go any larger than a
24" with 150mm cranks. When I can afford to I'm going to rebuild it
with a KH/Schlumpf Muni hub and it will be, for me, the ultimate offroad
unicycle. Great at the majority of the trails I ride and in over-drive
great to get to and from the trail head and to ride the easier XC
trails...

--
MuniSano