Cross-lacing, Revolutionary idea or just a gimmick?

Old November 14th 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Default Cross-lacing, Revolutionary idea or just a gimmick?

sp4rky-m4rky;1130816 wrote:
I guess none of you have ever tried to lace a wheel with a hub that has
bent flanges. You have to bend your spokes loads just to thread them
through the holes in the hub. Because the flanges point inwards, the
spoke holes also point inwards so that when you thread the spokes
through they foul with the other flange and have to be bent to avoid it.

been there done that, wasn't so bad.

It was a UDC CroMo hub that I was building into a second wheel. The
flanges were already mostly bent in on the correct angle from being
built into another wheel. You have to bend the spokes anyway, I just
bent them a bit more and went to the side instead of going directly away
from the center.

You can find the Rib Cage on danscomp.

--
saskatchewanian
Old November 14th 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Fraggle

Yeah, but I figured I'd look on sites I know, as I'm in the uk danscomp
wasn't one to spring to mind.

http://www.gsportbmx.com/products/index.php?list=Rims

I can't find the site, but a company called SYM made a flatland bmx hub
which came with spokes that will only fit that hub. The flanges on the
hub were designed so that the spokes went into the outer edge of the hub
flange rather than in through the side of the flange. The spokes had
nipples at each end, and had no elbow, the spoke nipples were to sit in
the rim, and in the hub. Perhaps not drawn the best picture, but as I
cant find the site it'll have to do for now, lol.

--
Fraggle

F.
Old November 14th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

I have a set of old Spinergy Spox wheels that used a similar system to
what Fraggle mentions by SYM, where the adjustments were made for truing
at the hub end, rather than the rim end of things. It's not exactly like
the image below, but similar.

[image:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/210/5...a1906.jpg?v=0]

--
pkittle

*==========================
Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
"The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
--Billy Bragg
Old November 14th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sp4rky-m4rky

saskatchewanian;1130867 wrote:
been there done that, wasn't so bad.

It was a UDC CroMo hub that I was building into a second wheel. The
flanges were already mostly bent in on the correct angle from being
built into another wheel. You have to bend the spokes anyway, I just
bent them a bit more and went to the side instead of going directly away
from the center.

You can find the Rib Cage on danscomp.

Your flanges couldnt have been as bent as mine then (mine were so bent
that the flanges were begining to tear off of the axle). I had to bend
mine a lot, far more than you do laceing. It scratched quite a bit of
paint off the spokes and left them realy bent up.

Angling the flanges in may work on a big wheel but not on a 19"

--
sp4rky-m4rky

_Marcus_Collings_'*U**n**i**c**y**c**l**e**.**c**o **m*'
(http://www.unicycle.com/Gateway.asp)
*)---', 1mHighJump*
my 'pure trials vid' (http://www.vimeo.com/929928)
my 'Year in vid'
(http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_FRoOqHBI#GU5U2spHI_4)
learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my 'unispin tutorial'
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=gFCHDO1umlM)
Want to glide? watch my 'ww tutorial'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prrX0sY7QVo)
Old November 14th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Conrad.Nguyen

pkittle;1130911 wrote:
I have a set of old Spinergy Spox wheels that used a similar system to
what Fraggle mentions by SYM, where the adjustments were made for truing
at the hub end, rather than the rim end of things. It's not exactly like
the image below, but similar.

[image:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/210/5...a1906.jpg?v=0]

'Similar BMX hub, uses regular spokes, though.'
(http://www.danscomp.com/427100.php?cat=PARTS)

[image: http://www.danscomp.com/images/produ...7100_Teal.gif]

--
Conrad.Nguyen