Wider tires, All-road bikes

Old January 27th 19, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Wider tires, All-road bikes

On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 5:35:39 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/27/2019 6:43 AM, Roger Merriman wrote:

... checking my times... Any differences are
marginal.

These days, that applies to almost every "improvement" regarding bicycling.

--
- Frank Krygowski

The unit of improvement is not always time.

Lou
Old January 27th 19, 07:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, January 26, 2019 at 11:55:22 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 1:56:42 AM UTC+1, wrote:

That's pretty damn strong. At the end of last season I did a ride in which I did 10K at 300 watts. I didn't feel it until sometime later on the return trip.

You cannot compare the two values Tom. It depends on the used protocol. They started at 55 W and increased it within a little more than 10 minutes to 335 Watt. So on average I managed only 195 Watts for 10 minutes but of those ten minutes I was a couple of minutes way over my treshold power which would be at this time of the season between 200-220 Watt. So beforehand I had some calculation to do. They said they start at 55 W and the test would last about 10 minutes. Afterwards they said they expected me to manage around 300 Watts, so my test took a little longer. If they had followed a different protocol I would ended up at a different power level. Anyone can manage 800 Watt for a couple of seconds.

That's why I was saying "at the end of the season" when I was pretty much at my best. You on a trainer under conditions like that makes me think that you can probably hit a kilowatt under racing conditions where you accelerate out of a turn and up a relatively short straight and then back off for the next turn.

Most of the uses for power meters I've look at only give you a comparative look at your own condition.

Someone was saying that Froome would keep his eye on his power meter all the time to judge how much is left in the tank but this last Tour showed that to be a rather large mistake. You don't race against a power meter but against your competition.
Old January 27th 19, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 3:43:22 AM UTC-8, Roger Merriman wrote:
Tom Evans wrote:
On 25/01/2019 00:19, Mark J. wrote:

I've been tempted to buy a cheap fat bike for the novelty; I expect it
would handle like a tank.

I got a cheap adventure (like a cross) bike, 40mm tyre, as a stopgap
when my normal road bike was out of action for a few weeks.

The results were very surprising. The geometries were the same, the tyre
rolling resistance didn't appear to be much different and the extra 4kg
didn't appear to make much difference to my speed.

On the plus size it was a more comfortable to ride, it felt slightly
more solid on the road.

I now ride it all the time in preference to my road bike.

Few years back I bought a cheap but relaxed CX bike pre adventure bikes
etc, it had its issues mainly it’s brakes which where canti and couldn’t
cope with being used like a MTB lite, it’s weight I generally didn’t
notice, I even took it up Mt Teide

I replaced it last year with a adventure bike, which main advantages are
better brakes cable disk vs canti and 2/9 vs 3/7 gearing.

It is my road bike, I do tend to run CX sized tyres as generally is more
choice and to give mud clearance. But I do notice how it rides bumps and
frankly is much more grip, some will be the type of tyres, some the size.

I don’t appear to be any slower, checking my times. Any differences are
marginal.

Roger Merriman

I had exactly the same problem with my Ridley XBow. Then I bought a set of TRP 9.0 V-brakes and all of the stopping problems disappeared.

On my Redline Conquest I fitted Avid hydraulic disks and the braking was WAY too strong. So strong that it is difficult to modulate it. I would suspect that if I were doing it again I would use those tiny diameter road bike disks.
Old January 28th 19, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 6:50:05 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/27/2019 11:58 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, January 27, 2019 at 5:35:39 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/27/2019 6:43 AM, Roger Merriman wrote:

... checking my times... Any differences are
marginal.

These days, that applies to almost every "improvement" regarding bicycling.

--
- Frank Krygowski

The unit of improvement is not always time.

Sure. But doesn't the principle still apply? Which real-world criteria
have seen huge improvements in the last decade?

--
- Frank Krygowski

I took my BIANCHI road bicycle with Shimano Adamas AX Brake calipers and derailleurs and Schwalbe 30mm CX-Pro knobby cycle-cross tires on it out today to ride to the next city. I could feel a HUGE difference in that bike versus my normal MTB with 2" knobby tires. I really noticed it when I got off at the shop and pushed the bike. In today's weather the narrower knobby tires worked better because they cut into the crap that was on the roads and reached the pavement whereas the 2" knobby MTB tires would have been on top of it and thus they would have slipped all over the place because the roads were covered in a lot of spots with snow that had only been salted turning it into a brown paste-like substance that has no traction.

Cheers
Old January 28th 19, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/27/2019 11:58 AM, wrote:
[...]

I'm not saying that certain bikes aren't more appropriate for certain
uses. As an example, your Bianchi would be lousy trying to ride
through soft beach sand. My ancient Dahon folding bike would be lousy as
a loaded touring bike.

But for any bikes that are reasonably parallel, more "modern" (or
"fashionable") equipment makes changes only in detail. For example,
Roger mentioned the old bike had 3x7 gears, the new one 2x9. I don't
think that change transforms a person's riding experience.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 28th 19, 12:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 11:04:21 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

https://www.efficientvelo.com/safe-zone-helmet-mirror/

Wow! "Huge 2 & 1/4" mirror provides safest view of what's behind you"
-- and zero view of what's in front.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old January 28th 19, 01:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 1/27/2019 11:58 AM, wrote:
[...]

I was referring to how much easier the BIANCHI with cycle-cross knobby tires rolled compared to the MTB with wider knobby tires.

Cheers
Old January 28th 19, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

On 1/27/2019 11:58 AM, wrote:
[...]

Certainly not transforms though certainly noticeable due to the bigger gaps
in the gearing, on the 7s cassette, and coupled with the triple did mean
you did need to fiddle around with it more, where as the 9s set up is
unnoticeable which really is all you can ask.

In fairness I tend to be harder on brakes, than gears, possibly a MTB
background? I’m perfectly happy with quite mediocre gearing but really
notice budget brakes etc.

Roger Merriman