Is Racing Really Dangerous

Old September 28th 04, 07:47 AM
Gonzo

Default Is Racing Really Dangerous

I am thinking about joining a club and doing the odd race or two.
However I watched the Road Championships on SBS on the weekend, and nearly
every race had a monumental stack.

Is it really that dangerous ?

If so, I will give it a miss I think, as I value my bones.

Old September 28th 04, 08:02 AM
hippy

"Gonzo" wrote in message
I am thinking about joining a club and doing the odd race or two.
However I watched the Road Championships on SBS on the weekend, and nearly
every race had a monumental stack.

Is it really that dangerous ?

If so, I will give it a miss I think, as I value my bones.

Um.. this is the National Championships...
Don't you think they're pushing the limits
and that's why there was a few crashes?
Most of the crit crashes I saw didn't involve
contact - it was just lost traction - an indication
of the riders' high speeds.

I've never seen a club race with that many
crashes. I've never broken a bone in a race.

I always say "give it a go", but if you just
don't feel up for it, there's nothing wrong
with that.

hippy

Old September 28th 04, 08:08 AM
Marx SS

Especially when you stack.
Try MTB racing, you stack on dirt. And maybe into trees, over logs,
though bushes, heaps of fun.

That’s one thing you miss out on with gaming, there’s no risk. No rea
challenge. If you screw up just press re-set.

Life is nothing like that………

--
Marx SS

Old September 28th 04, 08:11 AM
byron27

Gonzo Wrote:
I am thinking about joining a club and doing the odd race or two
However I watched the Road Championships on SBS on the weekend, an
nearl
every race had a monumental stack

Is it really that dangerous

If so, I will give it a miss I think, as I value my bones.

i dont know, do you want it to be dangerous?
you make the calls on what you do in a race, you esentially determin
if you are going to stack or not. its all positioning, knowing th
warning signs, trying stuff but not being too stupid....as MarxS
alluded too, a bit like life really..

--
byron2

Old September 28th 04, 10:04 AM
jazmo

Gonzo Wrote:
I am thinking about joining a club and doing the odd race or two.
However I watched the Road Championships on SBS on the weekend, an
nearly
every race had a monumental stack.

Is it really that dangerous ?

If so, I will give it a miss I think, as I value my bones.

Training is more dangerous

www.cyclingforums.com/t179559.htm

--
jazmo

Old September 28th 04, 10:23 AM
Parbs

"Marx SS" wrote in message ...

Especially when you stack.
Try MTB racing, you stack on dirt. And maybe into trees, over logs, &
though bushes, heaps of fun.

I was going to suggest the same thing. For maximum fun try an endurance event in a team, not only do you get to race you can sit
round, eat and drink beer.

Parbs

Old September 28th 04, 12:07 PM
Geoff

jazmo wrote:
Gonzo Wrote:
I am thinking about joining a club and doing the odd race or two.
However I watched the Road Championships on SBS on the weekend, and
nearly
every race had a monumental stack.

Is it really that dangerous ?

If so, I will give it a miss I think, as I value my bones.

Training is more dangerous

www.cyclingforums.com/t179559.html

From recent experiences I have to concur with you on that one Jaz.

Geoff

Old September 29th 04, 01:58 AM
hippy

"Parbs" wrote in message
"Marx SS" wrote in message ...

Especially when you stack.
Try MTB racing, you stack on dirt. And maybe into trees, over logs, &
though bushes, heaps of fun.

I was going to suggest the same thing. For maximum fun try an endurance

event in a team, not only do you get to race you can sit
round, eat and drink beer.

Yeah, so who's doing the Kona 24hr this year?
Own up! Come on!

We should have an aus.bike team.. full of
roadies and tourers hehehe it'd be awesome! :-)

"Man, I crashed like 4 times!"
"That's nothing, hippy ate dirt 12 times on his
last lap.. and that was during the day!"

hippy
- doesn't really crash that much.. maybe ;-)

Old September 29th 04, 02:07 AM
sinus

hippy Wrote:
"Parbs" wrote in messag
..
"Marx SS" wrote in message ..

Especially when you stack
Try MTB racing, you stack on dirt. And maybe into trees, over logs

though bushes, heaps of fun

I was going to suggest the same thing. For maximum fun try a

enduranc
event in a team, not only do you get to race you can si
round, eat and drink beer

Yeah, so who's doing the Kona 24hr this year
Own up! Come on

We should have an aus.bike team.. full o
roadies and tourers hehehe it'd be awesome! :-

"Man, I crashed like 4 times!
"That's nothing, hippy ate dirt 12 times on hi
last lap.. and that was during the day!

hipp
- doesn't really crash that much.. maybe ;-)

and DRS as official team rules advocat

--
sinus

The value of racing Bill C Racing 57 February 7th 05 07:11 PM
Sunday Times: Death row: Britain's most dangerous road Sufaud UK 45 September 28th 04 09:06 PM
Ghent Six Day Excursion Ilan Vardi Racing 8 November 30th 03 08:03 PM
A major problem with usa racing. RacerX Racing 5 September 5th 03 07:16 PM