Is Racing Really Dangerous

Old September 29th 04, 03:46 AM
Bikesoiler

Default Is Racing Really Dangerous

hippy Wrote:
"Parbs" wrote in message
"Marx SS" wrote in message ...

Especially when you stack.
Try MTB racing, you stack on dirt. And maybe into trees, over logs

&
though bushes, heaps of fun.

I was going to suggest the same thing. For maximum fun try a

endurance
event in a team, not only do you get to race you can sit
round, eat and drink beer.

Yeah, so who's doing the Kona 24hr this year?
Own up! Come on!

We should have an aus.bike team.. full of
roadies and tourers hehehe it'd be awesome! :-)

"Man, I crashed like 4 times!"
"That's nothing, hippy ate dirt 12 times on his
last lap.. and that was during the day!"

hippy
- doesn't really crash that much.. maybe ;-)

I try only to crash off road & don't like doing it very often. ie, las
200m of my first night lap in last years Kona 24.

Kona 24? .... hmmm can I get ready? maybe. You do the entry this year
I'll be there.

Bike "Too much renovating, not enough riding" soile

--
Bikesoiler

Old September 29th 04, 10:07 AM
Rob & Shel

That Molloolaba roundabout in the crit races is a notoriously tricky turn
.....opposite camber & possibly fine sands blowing in from the beach.....even
the pros lose it there.
As for the other race stacks I thought they were mainly juniors crashing.

Main thing is to ease your way into racing & learn who are the cowboys in
the race.
When you are adept at reading the field & showing your strength then maybe
you are ready to "mix it" for a win....when you are there tho "**** can
happen", & you can still be taken out no matter how alert you are.

Build your way up. Have a go!

Rob

"Gonzo" wrote in message
I am thinking about joining a club and doing the odd race or two.
However I watched the Road Championships on SBS on the weekend, and nearly
every race had a monumental stack.

Is it really that dangerous ?

If so, I will give it a miss I think, as I value my bones.

Old September 29th 04, 10:47 AM
Parbs

"hippy" wrote in message ...
"Parbs" wrote in message

Yeah, so who's doing the Kona 24hr this year?
Own up! Come on!

We should have an aus.bike team.. full of
roadies and tourers hehehe it'd be awesome! :-)

"Man, I crashed like 4 times!"
"That's nothing, hippy ate dirt 12 times on his
last lap.. and that was during the day!"

hippy
- doesn't really crash that much.. maybe ;-)

Mm tempting.

Being a Sydneysider probably a bit too long a drive for me. I do have a team of 4 in the Mont.

Parbs

Old September 29th 04, 01:32 PM
DRS

"hippy" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, so who's doing the Kona 24hr this year?
Own up! Come on!

We should have an aus.bike team.. full of
roadies and tourers hehehe it'd be awesome! :-)

You need recumbents. Fixie recumbents.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old September 30th 04, 01:27 AM
hippy

"DRS" wrote
"hippy" wrote in message
Yeah, so who's doing the Kona 24hr this year?
Own up! Come on!

We should have an aus.bike team.. full of
roadies and tourers hehehe it'd be awesome! :-)

You need recumbents. Fixie recumbents.

One of the chicks from the Kona tent did a lap
on the Kona BikeHotRod:
http://www.konaworld.com/2k4bikes/im...HotRod_650.jpg

I'm not sure a 'bent would make it around the
course - not under my control anyway.. and
fixed.. nuh uh! ;-)

hippy

Old October 1st 04, 02:46 AM
hippy

"Bikesoiler"
Kona 24? .... hmmm can I get ready? maybe. You do the entry this year &
I'll be there.

What did you do last time - collect a list of "definites",
get their money for entry and fill out the form?
Who brought the tarp and light last time?

Bike "Too much renovating, not enough riding" soiler

Too much road riding makes hippy a dirt crash magnet! ;-)

hippy

Old October 1st 04, 04:40 AM
Bikesoiler

hippy Wrote:
What did you do last time - collect a list of "definites",
get their money for entry and fill out the form?

I got a list of "definite starters" & did the full gas online entr
thing. Snozza was way cool about it. I was able to enter a 6 perso
team & send the last 2 or 3 names etc in latter. Start a list & ge
people to comitt. Paul could be in again, I gotta get him night riding
He's talking about getting some real lights.

Who brought the tarp and light last time?

One of the tarps was mine, as was the light. I've now got anothe
(bigger) tarp.

Too much road riding makes hippy a dirt crash magnet! ;-)
hippy

Road riding? I remember that. Got a bike for that somewhere

The way I'm not riding/training you may not want me on the team. :

--
Bikesoiler

Old October 1st 04, 05:24 AM
hippy

"Bikesoiler"

hippy Wrote:
What did you do last time - collect a list of "definites",
get their money for entry and fill out the form?

I got a list of "definite starters" & did the full gas online entry
thing. Snozza was way cool about it. I was able to enter a 6 person
team & send the last 2 or 3 names etc in latter. Start a list & get
people to comitt. Paul could be in again, I gotta get him night riding.
He's talking about getting some real lights.

Coolness.. I'll get back onto Farkin and see what happens..

Who brought the tarp and light last time?

One of the tarps was mine, as was the light. I've now got another
(bigger) tarp.

Schweet. I should be able to nick the same battery. I will send
a PM to "ftf" and see whether he will be in the country or not.
Cul-Baire is still posting, dunno if Jukka posts?

Too much road riding makes hippy a dirt crash magnet! ;-)
hippy

Road riding? I remember that. Got a bike for that somewhere.

hehe.. yeah a slicked up mtb? ;-)

The way I'm not riding/training you may not want me on the team.

Dude, I would LOVE it if you were actually slower
than me! :-) I just don't think that is possible. This is going
to be a non-competitive team. Winning is nice but I'm just
not good enough and I'm focusing on crit and track season
anyway.

hippy

Old October 1st 04, 07:06 AM
Bikesoiler

hippy Wrote:

Road riding? I remember that. Got a bike for that somewhere.

hehe.. yeah a slicked up mtb? ;-)[/color]

You obviously haven't seen my roadie.

Dude, I would LOVE it if you were actually slower
than me! :-) I just don't think that is possible. This is going
to be a non-competitive team. Winning is nice but I'm just
not good enough and I'm focusing on crit and track season
anyway.

hippy

I'll be able to ride the course OK & not shed any blood. It's just th
shame of walking hills that kinda gets to me

--
Bikesoiler

The value of racing Bill C Racing 57 February 7th 05 07:11 PM
Sunday Times: Death row: Britain's most dangerous road Sufaud UK 45 September 28th 04 09:06 PM
Ghent Six Day Excursion Ilan Vardi Racing 8 November 30th 03 08:03 PM
A major problem with usa racing. RacerX Racing 5 September 5th 03 07:16 PM