What heart rate do you sit at

Old September 29th 04, 11:27 PM
Pete

Default What heart rate do you sit at

Any early fitish 40 year olds here ?
If so, when you go for a good ride of say 50kms, and sit on an average of 30
to 35 k's an hour, what HR are you working at.

I seem to be always working at 75% of my maximum, is this normal ?

Old September 30th 04, 12:17 AM
Wildman

Pete Wrote:
Any early fitish 40 year olds here
If so, when you go for a good ride of say 50kms, and sit on an averag
of 3
to 35 k's an hour, what HR are you working at

I seem to be always working at 75% of my maximum, is this normal ?

I's likely impossible to compare heart rate levels with differen
people at various speeds. At 30kph, I might be working at 65% or mayb
80% compared to your 75%... it depends on ones' level of fitness. I ca
suggest to you, however, that if you are constantly pushing "75% of you
HR MAX" you are probably doing yourself a disservice, fitness wise an
working too hard, too often. Scale it back a bit. You will develop
sound aerobic base by working at a lower intensity. Lay the foundatio
for a good base, upon which you can build strength and speed. Check ou
'www.peakcentre.ca' (http://www.peakcentre.ca) for more information o
sound training ideas, founded in science. These guys can REALLY answe
your questions. Tell them, Wildman sent you.
cheer

--
Wildman

Old September 30th 04, 12:25 AM
Marty Wallace

"Pete" wrote in message
Any early fitish 40 year olds here ?
If so, when you go for a good ride of say 50kms, and sit on an average of

30
to 35 k's an hour, what HR are you working at.

I seem to be always working at 75% of my maximum, is this normal ?

DATE DISTANCE TIME AVERAGE SPEED Calories Ave Pulse

1/6/2004 78 2:47:39 27.92 2078 145
1/12/2004 49 1:30:54 32.34 1323 160
1/25/2004 90 3:19:57 27.01 2472 142
2/2/2004 16 0:28:16 33.96 413 158
2/9/2004 16 0:27:31 34.89 345 147
2/11/2004 49 1:31:03 32.29 1320 157
2/23/2004 16 0:27:53 34.43
2/25/2004 49 1:34:04 31.25 1316 153
2/26/2004 49 1:29:42 32.78 1301 157
3/2/2004 49 1:27:21 33.66 1352 163
3/5/2004 49 1:29:26 32.87 1369 162
3/8/2004 16 0:28:32 33.64 441 163?
3/18/2004 37 1:07:07 33.08 971 156
3/19/2004 49 1:27:26 33.63 1294 159
3/22/2004 16 0:26:53 35.71 410 162
3/28/2004 78 2:31:47 30.83 2224 158?
3/29/2004 16 0:27:33 34.85 419 162
4/26/2004 78 2:29:21 31.34 1939 156
5/3/2004 78 2:27:31 31.73 2282 163?
5/23/2004 102 3:22:11 30.27 2717 152
5/29/2004 49 1:30:45 32.40 1414 164
6/2/2004 102 3:15:03 31.38 2895 159
6/29/2004 49 1:37:01 30.30 1378 155
7/8/2004 78 2:40:53 29.09 1968 141
7/28/2004 68 2:26:21 28.00 1991 151
19/1/2004 82 2:55:21 28.06 2228 145

Marty

Old September 30th 04, 12:27 AM
Marty Wallace

"Marty Wallace" wrote in message
m.au...

"Pete" wrote in message
[...]

I'm 41 years of age.

Marty

Old September 30th 04, 04:37 AM
byron27

Pete Wrote:
Any early fitish 40 year olds here
If so, when you go for a good ride of say 50kms, and sit on an averag
of 3
to 35 k's an hour, what HR are you working at

I seem to be always working at 75% of my maximum, is this normal ?when im sitting my heart rate is only about 45 bpm. Of course that goe

up if i move the mouse about :

--
byron27

Old September 30th 04, 04:42 AM
flyingdutch

byron27 Wrote:
when im sitting my heart rate is only about 45 bpm. Of course that goe
up if i move the mouse about

one is afraid to ask what one is 'mousing' on :rolleyes

--
flyingdutch

Old September 30th 04, 04:46 AM
byron27

flyingdutch Wrote:
one is afraid to ask what one is 'mousing' on

there is a joke relating to a mouse and his cheese there that im goin
to leave in the confessional..

--
byron2

Old September 30th 04, 05:00 AM
sinus

byron27 Wrote:
there is a joke relating to a mouse and his cheese there that im going
to leave in the confessional...

ughhh, spare me

I'm having enough trouble trying to look like I'm working as it is.

--
sinus

Old October 2nd 04, 01:29 PM
hippy

"Jeff Jones" jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com wrote

"Marty Wallace" wrote in message

I'm 41 years of age.

I do find that training between 70-85% of max (well below the "red zone"

for
me) is the quickest way to build base fitness, or perhaps it's better
described as the level above base training but below high intensity stuff.
If I do that for a couple of months and almost completely ignore hard
intervals, I find that I can get into good racing shape after about 2-3
races, and hit peak condition after about a month of racing 2 x week.

Is there a way to tell when you are done building base?

Also, is there a disadvantage to building it quickly
by sitting in 70-85% HRmax rather than say 65-75%?

hippy

Old October 2nd 04, 02:19 PM
Tamyka Bell

hippy wrote:

"Jeff Jones" jeff@cyclingnews-punt-com wrote

"Marty Wallace" wrote in message

I'm 41 years of age.

I do find that training between 70-85% of max (well below the "red zone"

for
me) is the quickest way to build base fitness, or perhaps it's better
described as the level above base training but below high intensity stuff.
If I do that for a couple of months and almost completely ignore hard
intervals, I find that I can get into good racing shape after about 2-3
races, and hit peak condition after about a month of racing 2 x week.

Is there a way to tell when you are done building base?

Also, is there a disadvantage to building it quickly
by sitting in 70-85% HRmax rather than say 65-75%?

hippy

hippy you've gotta be careful by going a higher heart rate, you might
pull a heartilage! Um, it's funny that people talk about fat burning
zones and lower intensity exercise when the truth is exercise harder =
burn more fat = burn more carbs in order to burn more fat and, oh, by
the way, = hurt more. I'm always reading how beginners to exercise
should take it easy and stay in this fat burning zone... but you only
burn a higher proportion of fat, not a higher amount, so to burn the
same amount you have to train for longer, etc. That was a bit OT but
just one of my pet hates.

I would say 65-75% is not building base but rather is a recovery - it's
just a way of getting your body used to doing lots of miles and while
you're really just resting, and it shouldn't feel like exercise,
especially around the 65% level. I used to build base at around 75%,
work hard at 84% and struggle to get to 90% (which I think means that my
max heart rate isn't given by the standard formula and may have
something to do with having a resting heart rate of 42 bpm). Now I just
don't use a heart rate monitor.

Your base is built when you start getting really bored with it! If I was
aiming for a 40 km race, base is when I'm building up to being able to
ride 40 km at a constant-ish pace that is not a big effort and I recover
quickly after. Then I start with quality.

Maximum Heart Rate - Actual vs Calculated jj General 6 July 22nd 05 10:57 PM
high maximum heart rate pam_in_sc General 10 November 13th 04 01:16 AM
Cycling and vegetarianism Preston Crawford General 434 September 25th 04 09:38 PM
Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
Heart Rate Monitor findings. Simon Mason UK 40 February 27th 04 11:22 PM