Building a Trials course from scratch...need ideas...

Old May 10th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Building a Trials course from scratch...need ideas...

find a building site and see if you can get hold of them gas pipe reals

--
zippy
zippy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11885

Old May 10th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

you can do alot of things with pallets. you can make giants sawndwich
boards. just use you imagination

--
manon1wheel

Riley
James_Potter-
I fall with my upper body travelling backwards and my lower body
travelling forwards from 5' up and hit the concrete with my tailbone
and right elbow. It hurt, but I found it quite funny.
manon1wheel's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9972

Old May 10th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Most of the pallets I've put in my course have either broken or flex
like crazy... pallets are generally only good for stacking to make a
taller object. What you need to get are some good 2x4's, 2x6's, 4x4's,
etc. if you want to make something permanent and reconfigurable. If
you do end up using pallets, make sure to put some braces (small blocks
of wood inbetween the slats) to strengthen them a bit. Put a piece of
plywood on top of your pallet stack if you want it to really last.

If you can score some wooden cable reels or shipping crates, those make
good bases for skinnies and ramps. Bend a piece of rebar into a
little L and drive it into the ground, through a reel or crate, to
stabilize the obstacle. Nothing sucks quite like your obstacle
toppling underneath you after landing a gap onto it!

I've also picked up some tree rounds (1 - 3 foot sections of tree
trunk) and they make very stable bases... no rebar needed in most
cases... unless you put them on their side. It's interesting to have
some round and off-camber obstacles on your course... gapping from flat
to flat isn't quite as challenging.

As for connecting your obstacles, head to the hardware store and pick
up some nails and deck screws. Get nails around 2 1/2" long (to
connect 2x4's together) and others that are 4-4 1/2" long to connect
fatter stuff. Make sure and get nails with fatty heads on 'em so they
don't poke into your tire. Use the nails to connect things that you'll
want to reconfigure. Get some nice 3" - 4" deck screws to make more
permanent connections... the heads tend to get ground to sh*t when
screwing things together. Keep a hammer handy near the course as nails
tend to work their way out of "wobbly" obstacles.

What I find works best is making one long trials line that's kinda
circular in nature so that I can hop into and out of it at any point...
when I get good enough to do the whole loop, it's time to reconfigure.
I also put some posts / gapping bars inside and outside the loop to
give me entry / exit obstacles.

Let us know how your course shapes up!

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

Old May 10th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Mecano Wood

Old May 12th 06, 07:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

On Tue, 9 May 2006 16:41:05 -0500, trials_uni wrote:

if anyone has any ideas please reply.

See http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/props.htm

for some suggestions on how to build simple trials stuff.

Old May 12th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

tires, furniture, cars, pallets, spools, random lumber, bikes(),
anything else you got layin round

--
unijesse

Unicycle For Christ

00000
00000
00000
00000
unijesse's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10868

Old May 12th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

oooo.............make it out of lego.....that would be really cool
actually...good grip ...i wish

--
sparrowhawk

"I can only speak to myself." —George W. Bush
sparrowhawk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11813

Old May 12th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

We heat our house with wood so we usualy have a lot of split wood laying
around. I like to stack it up and nail boards to it to make ramps and
jumps. We also have a pedal grabbing plank. Your course could be
epecially cool if you could build a rock pile for gapping.

--
wadebrothers
wadebrothers's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11968

Old May 13th 06, 11:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

my mum ripped my pallets apart after I had a bad stack
use ramps and mabey support a plank w/ rope maby (an idea i had for
ages now)

--
dan de man

Jethro wrote:
Welcome to Hotel Unifornia. You can check out, but you can never leave.

Help yourself to anything in the fridge.

And please don't feed the clowns.

dan de man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11403

Old May 13th 06, 12:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

u could get a sleeper or some sort of rail and put it between a few
pallets stacked on top of each other to ride across

--
tomtrevor
tomtrevor's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12118