KH/ONZA 165mm what to do with them?

Old December 13th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jtrops

Default KH/ONZA 165mm what to do with them?

So I am getting some 150's from Phlegm along with a hub. After I
exchange the cranks on my MUni witht the shorter 150's I will be left
with a hub and a set of 165's. I really think the 165's are too long,
but I have only had them on the 24".

Would these be good for a 26?

Alternately, I am looking for a basic 20" cycle, would anyone have one
to trade for this crankset?

--
jtrops
Old December 13th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

I like 160s on my 26, never tried 165s and hate the feel of 170s. I also
use 150s on a 24

If they aren't to long to ride comfortably (like 170s for me) the 165s
on a 26 should feel similar to how 150s feel on a 24.

--
saskatchewanian
Old December 13th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jtrops

That's what I was kind of thinking. I have some old 26 inch rims laying
around, so the wheel won't be a big deal to throw together. I might
have a friend (really good welder) mod a mtb fork into a uni frame and
the rest should be pretty straight forward.

--
jtrops
Old December 14th 08, 05:20 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

jtrops;1149078 wrote:
So I am getting some 150's from Phlegm along with a hub. After I
exchange the cranks on my MUni witht the shorter 150's I will be left
with a hub and a set of 165's. I really think the 165's are too long,
but I have only had them on the 24".

Would these be good for a 26?

Alternately, I am looking for a basic 20" cycle, would anyone have one
to trade for this crankset?

Oh, so you're the one who outbid me! I was going to build a new 24
wheel for my oldest son's muni (his DX hub has some slop) with those
cranks and hub. I'm glad they went to someone here on the forums!

I too have a set of 165s (I went to 140s on my KH24) with no home or
purpose. My middle son has a Nimbus 26er with dual-hole 165/137 cranks,
and won't even consider putting the pedals in the 165 holes. But he's
14, skinny, and in great shape from running cross country, so his
ability to spin those cranks may not equate to everybody's. I will say
that I had those dual-hole cranks on my KH29, but the 165 length still
felt too long to me, and I switched back to the 150/125s.

If I can pick up a used KH/Onza hub sometime, I might try building it
into a 36er wheel for big-wheel muni. You could do it first, and report
on how well it works!

--
pkittle

*==========================
Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
"The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
--Billy Bragg
Old December 14th 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jtrops

I probably bid too high, but the alternative, Moment's, would have been
far more expensive.

I don't want this crankset to go unused, but I am afraid that they will
be too long for me. I have a pair of 150's that I put on my 29'er that
seem to be a good length for trail rides. Normally it's running 125's.

Hmm. I guess I'll just have to work it out. If I can't use them I
will get rid of them. I can't have more random bike/cycle stuff laying
around. In the end they may go on Ebay really cheap.

--
jtrops
Old December 14th 08, 06:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

I have 170's on my 24, and they feel like pedaling a box. It's kind of
hard to pedal smoothly, esp at speed, like trying to maintain my
momentum up hills.

I've tried a '05 KH w/ 165 and I was surprised how much of a difference
that 5 mm made. I had no difficulty in pedaling smoothly and
maintaining my momentum for climbing hills was definitely easier. But
when it got so steep that I was doing half cranks, the 170's were easier
also they still gave more control in technical spots and control my
speed a tad better on decents.

I'm going to stick w/ my long 170's until I can ride up my local fire
roads.

The 165's on a 26" could be good. W/ the added torque and larger wheel
diameter, it'd roll over stuff better. But it seems to me that most on
hear who have a 26 and prefer it, are very experienced riders and run
shorter 150 cranks.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old December 14th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniKid2

Make smaller cranks... like 110s... ( O======O = O===/===O =
O===O )

--
UniKid2

_*Approximate*_
'Countdown To OUI' 09' (http://tinyurl.com/6axmep)

*Vive le Québec Libre!*

unipsyco:i have tried my friend's kh and it's really killing my
knees..
sp4rky-m4rky:i swear you must be doing something wrong.