Wheels or course - what to blame

Old May 19th 09, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Sandy

Default Wheels or course - what to blame

I read Simoni's comments below, and I can't figure out whether the blame
falls on bad choices of wheels or something that was totally invisible to me
on the circuit course in Milan.

Simoni, another Giro overall winner, did not backpedal. "We can't accept
everything without doing something about it," he maintained. "Fourteen
riders broke their wheels on the first lap [of the Milan circuit]. We are at
the Tour of Italy, not in Paris-Roubaix. We all agreed [to neutralize the
stage]."

Speed bumps are part of street topography, and have become even more common.
No one got hooked into the tramway rails, so far as I know. Paris-Roubaix
had a healthy number of carbon fibre wheels, and so did other spring
classics. Anyone know which wheels broke and why?
--
Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine

La vie, c'est comme une bicyclette,
il faut avancer pour ne pas perdre l'équilibre.
-- Einstein, A.

Old May 20th 09, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
P. Chisholm

On May 19, 4:36*pm, "Sandy" wrote:
[...]

They whine like this stage was some sort of surprise to them all. The
route, the streets, the conditions. Why not a little pre-race planning
in both tactics and equipment..like other races.
Old May 20th 09, 02:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On May 20, 8:24*am, "P. Chisholm" wrote:

They whine like this stage was some sort of surprise to them all. The
route, the streets, the conditions. Why not a little pre-race planning
in both tactics and equipment..like other races.

What sort of pre-race planning do you have for traffic on the course?
"Okay, boys, avoid the 2 ton metal things that move."

Rail tracks in the road on corners?
"Don't get your wheels stuck."

Maybe because there isn't a strong rider's union and, as a group, the
course was never discussed by the people that actually have to ride
it. Any bitches about the course ahead of time might have been
downplayed or diffused by Ommegang (I know that's not the Giro
director's name, but it's great beer).