When the oil runs out

Old April 1st 10, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
ash

Default When the oil runs out

As so many millitant cyclists seem to hope for, how will they make the
new bicycles when the old ones wear out, and how will they transport
them from the factories in the far east to Toys'R'Us in the west.

Questions questions....
Old April 1st 10, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On 1 Apr, 10:53, ash wrote:
As so many millitant cyclists seem to hope for, how will they make the
new bicycles when the old ones wear out, and how will they transport
them from the factories in the far east to Toys'R'Us in the west.

Questions questions....

Did you mean Halfords?

It requires an awful lots of energy to extract aluminium or steel from
their ores, so bicycles may not be all that environmentally friendly,
even before they are transported half way round the world. Perhaps now
that the UK Pound is almost worthless, due to the incompetance of
Gordon Brown and the Nu Labour Government, it might be worth
manufacturing them again in the UK?

Derek C

Old April 1st 10, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Grange

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 02:53:59 -0700 (PDT), ash
wrote:

As so many millitant cyclists seem to hope for, how will they make the
new bicycles when the old ones wear out, and how will they transport
them from the factories in the far east to Toys'R'Us in the west.

Questions questions....

My tourer weighs about 11kg, about 1% of the weight of a small car.
The frame, the heaviest bit, was made in Bristol.

Let's hope people start manufacturing bikes instead of cars before the
oil runs out, it'll go about 100 times as far.

Next question?
Old April 1st 10, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
ash

wrote:
As so many millitant cyclists seem to hope for, how will they make the
new bicycles when the old ones wear out, and how will they transport
them from the factories in the far east to Toys'R'Us in the west.

Questions questions....

My tourer weighs about 11kg, about 1% of the weight of a small car.
The frame, the heaviest bit, was made in Bristol.

Let's hope people start manufacturing bikes instead of cars before the
oil runs out, it'll go about 100 times as far.

Next question?

According to this website, bicycle manufacture PA is currently running
at approx 3 times that of cars http://www.worldometers.info/

I would be interested to see how many bicycles get recycled, and how
many go into landfill after sitting in peoples sheds for 5 years. The
difference is that a car is such an investment in terms of initial
investment and running costs (insurance, tax, mot, etc) that the
owners need to justify use all the time. If ownership of a cycle were
subject to similar overheads, they would be used a lot more and not
left to rot in a shed for 5 years before being sent for landfill.

As pointed out, your tourer might be ligthweight, but is made from
exotic materials which needs some intensive (and carbon unfriendly)
processing to get it into the form of a bicycle.
Old April 1st 10, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Grange

wrote:
[...]

11 is a good number for my tourer. It's 11 years old too. It is used
frequently, and I have no intention of sending it for landfill yet. 1%
of the metal, and running at least as long as, if not longer than, a
small car. As for investment, there are cars in a used car lot down
the road for sale for less than I paid for my 3 bikes in total. You're
posting on the wrong NG for bikes rotting in sheds, mate.

As pointed out, your tourer might be ligthweight, but is made from
exotic materials which needs some intensive (and carbon unfriendly)
processing to get it into the form of a bicycle.

Granted, but at the rate of about 1% of a Cleo.
Old April 1st 10, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
ash

wrote:
[...]

Granted, but at the rate of about 1% of a Cleo.- Hide quoted text -

It also has the disadvantage of only being able to carry one person,
so fine as personal transport, very poor in moving anything else.

For every hardcore serious cyclist, I could happily show you 20 people
who own a bike under the age of 5 years who rarely use it. You are
very much in the minority and this will be very unlikely to change.
Old April 1st 10, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David[_11_]

"ash" wrote in message
It also has the disadvantage of only being able to carry one person,
so fine as personal transport, very poor in moving anything else.

For every car that has 4 people in it I could happily show you 20 with one
person.

For every hardcore serious cyclist, I could happily show you 20 people
who own a bike under the age of 5 years who rarely use it. You are
very much in the minority and this will be very unlikely to change.

But they are nearly all recycled/passed on. The few that do turn up down
the dump are prety much at the end of their life and even then they don't go
to land fill.They are put to the side and recycled again. You try and take
one that somebody has left and the workers there won't be too happy about
it.

Old April 1st 10, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Grange

wrote:
[...]

None at all when the oil runs out, which was the title of your
original post, so hardly relevant.

For every hardcore serious cyclist, I could happily show you 20 people
who own a bike under the age of 5 years who rarely use it. You are
very much in the minority and this will be very unlikely to change.

When the oil runs out I can see quite a few appearing out of sheds. In
fact, today's BBC news announcement that fuel will soon be at its
highest price ever may fetch a few out of the shed before that.
Old April 1st 10, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Happi Monday[_3_]

On 01/04/2010 10:53, ash wrote:
As so many millitant cyclists seem to hope for, how will they make the
new bicycles when the old ones wear out, and how will they transport
them from the factories in the far east to Toys'R'Us in the west.

Questions questions....

On hydrogen power, probably - but well all be dead by then so WGaF?

Old April 3rd 10, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 1 Apr, 10:53, ash wrote:
As so many millitant cyclists seem to hope for, how will they make the
new bicycles when the old ones wear out, and how will they transport
them from the factories in the far east to Toys'R'Us in the west.

Questions questions....

The answer is the oil will run out slowly, not instantly, so stuff
will gradually become more and more expensive which will lead to
adaptive behaviour. As it is impossible to accurately predict what
behaviour or foretell the future one can only speculate.

Electric cars powered by coal fired power stations with carbon
capture?

Abandonment of cars as a preferred and addictive mode of transport?

Removal of the need to travel as much?

Etc.

--
World Carfree Network
http://www.worldcarfree.net/

Lance runs a 2:59 marathon Qui si parla Campagnolo Techniques 13 November 9th 06 01:34 PM
TV Moto Runs Over Mad Fan Geraard Spergen Racing 19 July 18th 05 07:50 PM
Who runs who? Richard Bates UK 23 February 2nd 05 09:30 PM
Armstrong Runs ING NYC Mark Linenberg Racing 8 November 8th 04 04:38 AM
What to drive when the oil runs out Just zis Guy, you know? UK 16 June 19th 04 01:20 AM