Cycles and Parkinsons

Old April 2nd 10, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Artemisia[_2_]

Default Cycles and Parkinsons

Saw this in the NYT today. Sorry if it has already been posted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/he...e&ref=homepage

I don't have Parkinsons as far as I know, but am facing up to
increasingly disruptive ataxia (apparently from a brain trauma when I
was 14, and now accelerated by hypertension and diabetes), and find my
recumbent trike to be by far the best way of getting around.

Cheers all,

EFR
Ile de France

Old April 2nd 10, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Doug[_3_]

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/he...tml?src=me&ref...

I don't have Parkinsons as far as I know, but am facing up to
increasingly disruptive ataxia (apparently from a brain trauma when I
was 14, and now accelerated by hypertension and diabetes), and find my
recumbent trike to be by far the best way of getting around.

Cheers all,

EFR
Ile de France

Good luck with your recumbant!

Unlike other people with disabilities, such as wheelchair users,
cyclists are discriminated against. They are denied access to
pavements and railway platforms and are required to dismount and walk,
even if they have a walking disability. Much the same applies to the
elderly who are allowed on pavements and platforms in their mobility
buggies but not on their bicycles and tricycles.

Is it any wonder that so many disabled people are forced to use cars?

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
Old April 2nd 10, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
ash

On 2 Apr, 09:13, Doug wrote:
On 2 Apr, 08:58, Artemisia wrote: Saw this in the NYT today. Sorry if it has already been posted.

[...]

Doug, the reason why people on cycles are not allowed on the pavements
is because of the speed they move at. A disabled buggy is limited to
4mph, and a wheelchair is used because they can't realistically get
out and walk any distance (if at all). The same could be argued for
disabled motorcycle trike riders and disabled car drivers, why
shouldn't I argue to drive legally on the pavements if I can rustle up
a disabled badge ?

In any case. the speed which a recumbent trike can move on the road is
well in excess of a regular cyclist, especially if it is faired in.
Old April 2nd 10, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Artemisia[_2_]

On 2 avr, 13:15, ash wrote:

In any case. the speed which a recumbent trike can move on the road is
well in excess of a regular cyclist, especially if it is faired in.

No kidding! Widdershins has reached 55 kph on a long downhill!

I suppose the same would be possible in a wheelchair, but it better
have really good brakes!

Cheers,
EFR
Ile de France
Old April 2nd 10, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
webreader

On Apr 2, 12:15*pm, ash wrote:
On 2 Apr, 09:13, Doug wrote:

[...]

Oh look, yet another person who thinks you should not cycle on
pavements,

WSR
Old April 2nd 10, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Doug[_3_]

On 2 Apr, 12:15, ash wrote:
On 2 Apr, 09:13, Doug wrote:

[...]

Same applies to disabled cyclists.

The same could be argued for
disabled motorcycle trike riders and disabled car drivers, why
shouldn't I argue to drive legally on the pavements if I can rustle up
a disabled badge ?

In any case. the speed which a recumbent trike can move on the road is
well in excess of a regular cyclist, especially if it is faired in.

And wheelchairs can do 20mph.

I'm telling you, its discriminatory.. Why is there no sympathy for
cyclists on these wretched newsgroups? Are you ALL motorists?

Doug

Old April 2nd 10, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Apr 2, 7:43*am, Doug wrote:
On 2 Apr, 12:15, ash wrote:

On 2 Apr, 09:13, Doug wrote:

[...]

A sprinter with no special equipment other than cleats and a banana
hammock can easily hit 20mph! Sidewalk users need to have speed
limiters in place in order to comply with rational safety policies.

Old April 2nd 10, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Doug wrote:
On 2 Apr, 12:15, ash wrote:
On 2 Apr, 09:13, Doug wrote:

[...]

you could always join the real world, where people recognise the needs of
everyone, the laws that are required to make it safe for all, general
courtesy to other road users, sense to keep yourself safe, recognition of
the fact that the world will not revolve around you, no matter how much you
snivel 'its all so unfair' and that cars are here to stay and it is a good
idea to avoid annoying their drivers. Another good idea is to make your own
bit of universe perfect, after all it is the only bit you control.

Old April 2nd 10, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Tony Dragon

Doug wrote:
On 2 Apr, 12:15, ash wrote:
On 2 Apr, 09:13, Doug wrote:

[...]

Yes it's discriminatory, the average person does not want a cyclist on
the pavement or railway platform, live with it, it's for the safety of
pedestrians.

--
Tony Dragon
Old April 2nd 10, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
webreader

On Apr 2, 1:43*pm, Doug wrote:
On 2 Apr, 12:15, ash wrote:

On 2 Apr, 09:13, Doug wrote:

[...]

Bwawawawa.

If you don't do as I say I'm going to throw my toys out of my pram.

WSR

spa cycles Adam Lea[_2_] UK 9 October 19th 09 09:19 AM
Ice-cycles Donga Australia 2 February 4th 07 02:32 AM
J.D.Cycles Sam Salt UK 4 July 11th 06 08:35 PM
B*cycles not allowed - NOT munipsycho Unicycling 14 May 21st 05 03:49 PM
100% cycles rayner Australia 1 November 26th 04 09:08 AM