A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Nice bit of American bicycling history

Old January 22nd 19, 12:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Nice bit of American bicycling history

Don't worry, nobody's trying to sell you a basket; this is about the Wald firm's history:
https://www.amazon.com/Wald-Folding-...67Q21TYNSW7FCS

Andre Jute
Now let us praise famous men -- Ecclesiastes
Ads
Old January 22nd 19, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 3:13:59 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
Don't worry, nobody's trying to sell you a basket; this is about the Wald firm's history:
https://www.amazon.com/Wald-Folding-...67Q21TYNSW7FCS

Andre Jute
Now let us praise famous men -- Ecclesiastes

Around here anything that isn't covered is stolen. Stop at a stop sign and if the pedestrian likes what he sees he simply picks if off as you're pushing away not paying attention to your load.
Old January 22nd 19, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 10:25:14 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Around here anything that isn't covered is stolen. Stop at a stop sign and if the pedestrian likes what he sees he simply picks if off as you're pushing away not paying attention to your load.

Why don't you move out of that place?

- Frank Krygowski

Old January 22nd 19, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 8:19:16 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:

- Frank Krygowski

Frank - you're a liberal, this is coming to you. Do you think that unlimited access of every other person on this planet is going to leave you alone?
Old January 22nd 19, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 11:20:40 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 8:19:16 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:

- Frank Krygowski

Frank - you're a liberal...

That's odd. My liberal friends say I'm too conservative.

Do you think that unlimited access of every other person on this planet is going to leave you alone?

That question makes no sense grammatically. Try diagramming it.

- Frank Krygowski

Old January 22nd 19, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 1:22:24 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/22/2019 10:19 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

- Frank Krygowski

move out of the USA? really?

I live in the USA and I've traveled through most of it. I've never
experienced "anything that isn't covered" being stolen, nor have I
experienced anyone plucking things off my bike, car, person or
whatever.

If Tom does experience that stuff, he should quit complaining and
move to a different part of the USA.

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 22nd 19, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 6:22:24 PM UTC, AMuzi wrote:

- Frank Krygowski

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I'm always amazed at how lightly idiots who don't know any better mouth off about moving out of the US. The places where you can live as well as you do in the States can be counted on your fingers, with some to spare for picking your nose, and some of those places won't let an American in -- Australia for instance -- unless he can persuade officials he intends to start a business in Australia or at least has the means to keep himself indefinitely..

And the minute the American discovers the effective tax rate in those countries, he'll be heading home in a hurry!

There are a few more countries with serious disabilities that are also safer than America. But the majority of the world's countries are more dangerous than American streets.

Andre Jute
Cosmopolitan
Old January 22nd 19, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 4:20:12 PM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:
Snipped
I'm always amazed at how lightly idiots who don't know any better mouth off about moving out of the US. The places where you can live as well as you do in the States can be counted on your fingers, with some to spare for picking your nose, and some of those places won't let an American in -- Australia for instance -- unless he can persuade officials he intends to start a business in Australia or at least has the means to keep himself indefinitely.

And the minute the American discovers the effective tax rate in those countries, he'll be heading home in a hurry!

There are a few more countries with serious disabilities that are also safer than America. But the majority of the world's countries are more dangerous than American streets.

Andre Jute
Cosmopolitan

Right. If the U.S.A. is so bad then why are so many trying so hard to get into it and are willing to risk their lives to do so?

Cheers
Old January 23rd 19, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 12:55:20 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 1:22:24 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

- Frank Krygowski

I live in the USA and I've traveled through most of it. I've never
experienced "anything that isn't covered" being stolen, nor have I
experienced anyone plucking things off my bike, car, person or
whatever.

If Tom does experience that stuff, he should quit complaining and
move to a different part of the USA.

- Frank Krygowski

In San Francisco they had to take bike lanes off of some streets because every car down an entire row would have a side window broken out and anything inside stolen. On a normal car you can hide things in the trunk but everyone now drives SOVs that so everything is visible.

Look - Seattle and Portland used to be the most beautiful cities in the entire country. Now with the liberal policies there's feces in the doorways when people arrive to open their businesses. There are hypodermics everywhere on the streets and you can't let children walk next to you - you have to carry them. There are homeless encampments everywhere and there are entire neighborhoods where the advertising and business signs are all in Spanish. You can call some guy a MFer and he doesn't even know what you're saying.

Nations came into being for a reason - there were people with common language, common attitudes and common goals. If you think that the US has EVER been a melting pot you're wrong. It takes two to three generations for a new group to become American. And they sure as hell can't do that if they go so their own schools.

There used to be open space between all of the towns around the San Francisco Bay. Now it is one continuous city. I can ride all the way around and the only semi-open space is the Bay Trail and most of that is paved except for openings where someone managed to build apartments down to the waterfront.. Even out into it. The marinas are being shut down because the land is too valuable to politicians who can get more taxes from housing and can excuse it as building more housing for an area without enough housing.
Old January 23rd 19, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb
external usenet poster

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 14:40:02 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 4:20:12 PM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:
Snipped
I'm always amazed at how lightly idiots who don't know any better mouth off about moving out of the US. The places where you can live as well as you do in the States can be counted on your fingers, with some to spare for picking your nose, and some of those places won't let an American in -- Australia for instance -- unless he can persuade officials he intends to start a business in Australia or at least has the means to keep himself indefinitely.

Andre Jute
Cosmopolitan

Right. If the U.S.A. is so bad then why are so many trying so hard to get into it and are willing to risk their lives to do so?

Cheers

Probably for one or two reasons. (1) regardless of how awful it is it
is better then where they came from, and/or (2) there is more
freebie's given to poor folks in the U.S.

Cheers,
John B.