where are the girls riding trials?

Old January 8th 04, 06:00 PM
muniracer

Default where are the girls riding trials?

I am sure at some point everyone in this sport has realized that there
is a good number of men riding trials but hardly any women.
Unipsychogirl is the only girl i have seen on the forum that rides
trials. i do know there that there are many girls riding freestyle and
juggling on unicycles but why the shortage when it comes to muni and
trials? All i know is that i want to see more women riding muni and
especially trials. Oh and by the way, i cant wait to see unipsycho
girl's movie that she posted about earlier in the week.

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

Old January 9th 04, 03:33 AM
maskedriders

I also ride trials, along with my husband who is much more extreme than
me... but he teaches me well, I do drops, stairs, hops, (large)
skinnies, and I am currently working on my crank and pedal climbs, I've
got the grabs... just not the climb! We also do freestyle also! Just
thought I'd let ya know... there is one more!

--
maskedriders - Riding behind the mask...
maskedriders's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4277

Old January 9th 04, 03:41 AM
muniracer

very cool! does anyone have any theories or explanations on why more
guys do trials? does someone have a statistic on girl to boy unicyclist
ratio? oh well.

--

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuq25
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

Old January 9th 04, 04:37 AM
maskedriders

Right now I can do about a 5'' skinny 1 foot off the ground. Me and my
husband can ride side by side on railroad tracks while holding hands.
(Which is actually not that hard) I can almost do it by myself... unlike
him who can go as long as he wants on a railroad track. I can do 21''
drops and hop about 8'' (21cm) my husband hops around 21'' (53cm)
(which is pretty good, I think, considering he weighs 210lbs, and we
have both been unicycling for a year, and trials for about 5 months.) We
practice specific trials about once a week ... and work on freestyle
about 2 times a week..

To answer your question about why there aren't more females into trials?
Here is what I think... women do not have the natural aggression that
men have... to be able to do what trials requires you either have to be
fearless, or be aggressive about learning something, which most women do
not naturally do... for most women it is forced practice with lack of
aggression. Guys are very aggressive, competitive and motivated to learn
things, and if they see somebody else do it ,then they know that it is
possible and that they can do it too! For me, I have to be pushed and
talked into trying something new and harder... although it is rewarding
and I do enjoy it... it is not as easy for me to attack something new as
it is for my husband...
I think more girls are into freestyle because although very hard and
time consuming the tricks are not usually as intimidating...

Old January 9th 04, 04:52 AM
fluffinator007

freestyle, not as intimidating...are you kidding me. When you get into
decently advanced freestyle like a 540 suicide mount...i consider this
freestyle... id shatty my pants before I ever jumped off the ground.
even a 180 suicide mount. Or uni spins, i consider that freestyle and
that scares me...well its part trials too i think ahh i donno but some
freestyle stuff is quite impressive and scary...definitly scary.

--
fluffinator007
fluffinator007's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4757

Old January 9th 04, 05:01 AM
maskedriders

Thats why I said _usually__ trials are more intimidating but as far as
the tricks in freestyle that you were talking about and the higher
levels in general I agree with you 100%! They are very intimidating and
scary! I mainly meant the freestyle tricks like one foot wheel walking
in a circle, although difficult its not as intimidating as a four foot
drop...

Old January 9th 04, 05:06 AM
bugman

Plastic pedals, metal pedals with pins that turn you legs into
hamburger. Most women don't walk around with scars on their legs as a
badge of honor. Just learing to ride my wife looks like a football
player with all the pads she is wearing. Just mounting is extreme in
her mind, and doesn't even attempt it w/o shin pads.

--
bugman - Equilibrium Challenged

"Trying to maintain balance by wild arm and body motions is something
like trying to balance a wet noodle"
Jack Wiley _The_Unicycle_Book_

Old January 9th 04, 05:17 AM
fluffinator007

Ah, and bugman with a very good point. Men walk with honor, displaying
the shin scars for the world to see and eager to share the story. MOST
definitly not all, but most, woman like to have their legs all shaved
and smooth, not bumby and scabbed from pedal pins and crown bangs.

Old January 9th 04, 06:19 AM
Erin

Well yeah actually I was pretty keen on trials...... ah, that was until
I broke my ankle on my trials uni ...well that should read, OFF my
trials uni and course there was a flight of stairs involved as well.
Now, I'm thinking of just sticking to some easy MUni and day trips on
the 29'er. Broken bones just seem to have a way of dampening one's
enthusiasm.

--
Erin - Onewheeler

"You broke your leg doing WHAT!?"
Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

Old January 9th 04, 08:28 AM
paco

Erin wrote:
*Well yeah actually I was pretty keen on trials...... ah, that was
until I broke my ankle on my trials uni ...well that should read, OFF
my trials uni and course there was a flight of stairs involved as
well.*

But you also skate, don't you? You've already got (or had) that
mentality. We don't see as many girls in the X games either. Be it
biological or cultural, as a rule girls don't get into the extreme
sports as much as guys. I'm not saying that there aren't exceptions,
and I welcome and encourage them, but it will be a while before we see
as much trials action from girls as we see from guys.
I'm excited for the video!

--
paco - Proud owner of 2 opposable thumbs

Sounds exactly like an orthodic support for shoes, only different. Would
this be called a butt-thodic support? or glutethodic?
-S_Wallis
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715