CTC error

Old September 25th 06, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

Default CTC error

Peter Fox wrote:
I've already given up with the CTC else I'd want to know who thought
that somebody off the cab rank of after-dinner speakers was a good bet.
Let's face it cyclists are by their very nature do-ers and get the knees
dirty people. And (no offence intended to the large cohort of fit,
strong, and experienced cyclists) why have somebody who fits the
'retired old fogey with a basket on the handlebars and cycle clips on
their tweeds' stereotype when say a 25-y.o. mad red-haired uni-cyclist
would be better on the telly and better for 'what the hell - everyone
jump on and off we go'.

$64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you with
televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.

Cycling needs brains not mouthpieces.

And I'd disagree. Cycling needs ambassadors who can be respected and
seen as normal by the general public. The positive reasons to have Jon
Snow a

1. He is a well known person.
2. He is mainstream, hence 'normal'
3. He has gravitas which commands a degree of respect across the board.
4. He is a regular utility cyclist.

Against are the points that Helen has made, ie. it would really help if
he could provide some degree of accuracy and logic behind his opinions.
And it really would help if he stuck to the law, like the rest of us
try to.

...d

Old September 25th 06, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pinky

Sorry the system (or me) lost a long mail

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

"Pinky" wrote in message
news
"wafflycat" wrote in message
The CTC has made an unwise move, I think.

According to the copy of Cycle which arrived this morning, Jon Snow is
the new CTC president, having been invited to take the role once Phil
Liggett steps down.

This will be Jon Snow, the newsreader, who back in February on 'Richard &
Judy' (13th February 2006) admitted he tells people not to take up
cycling as "it's too dangerous out there" and that cyclists should be
kept separate from traffic on separate facilities, so promoting the
erroneous view that cycling is inherently dangerous. How long is it going
to take before this comes back and bites the CTC in its organisational
backside when the media picks up on how the CTC has a president who
thinks cyclists should be kept off the roads, yet at the same time
supporting Daniel Cadden, a CTC member who was fined for cycling on the
road. Mixed messages from the CTC, anyone?

I feel like handing in my CTC membership in disgust.

Cheers, helen s

--

~~

SUPPORT THE CYCLISTS DEFENCE FUND
http://www.cyclistsdefencefund.org.uk/

~~
to send reply email - you may need to remove dependence
on fame & fortune from organisation
to get correct email address
~Noodliness is Good~

Old September 25th 06, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:17:13 +0100 someone who may be "wafflycat"
wrote this:-

This will be Jon Snow, the newsreader, who back in February on 'Richard &
Judy' (13th February 2006) admitted he tells people not to take up cycling
as "it's too dangerous out there" and that cyclists should be kept separate
from traffic on separate facilities, so promoting the erroneous view that
cycling is inherently dangerous. How long is it going to take before this
comes back and bites the CTC in its organisational backside when the media
picks up on how the CTC has a president who thinks cyclists should be kept
off the roads, yet at the same time supporting Daniel Cadden, a CTC member
who was fined for cycling on the road. Mixed messages from the CTC, anyone?

I feel like handing in my CTC membership in disgust.

I'm not a member. However, they can be jerked into action by a
suitably worded e-mail. My impression is that the organisation
consists of two parts. One are the generic organisation bods, who
move from one organisation to the other at will. The others are
those interested in cycling.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old September 25th 06, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wheelist

Peter Fox Wrote:
$64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you with
televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.
Will Mr Snow be requiring a Pedalometer to explain his decisions?

I think AHD is a particularly good choice though whether he'd fit with
David Martin's mainstream (i.e. normal) requirement is debatable.

Others:

Chris Boardman? Not utility enough?

Nicole Cooke? Too young? Not famous enough? (despite being the best
female cyclist in the world)

Sean Yates? Again, not utility? Too bloody busy anyway?

'Christian Wolmar' (http://www.christianwolmar.co.uk)? Too political?
Not famous enough? Not mainstream enough?

--
wheelist

Old September 25th 06, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Peter Fox
l') wrote:

$64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you with
televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.

Boris Jonstone?

No, I am vaguely serious. He is a Tory, I know, but he is well known as a
regular utility cyclist and is media-friendly in his own bizarre way.

;; An enamorata is for life, not just for weekends.
Old September 25th 06, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Peter Fox writes:

| $64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
| The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
| qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you with
| televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.
|
| Cycling needs brains not mouthpieces.

The other television Jeremy? He cycles and he has brains, and is
not inclined to suffer fools gladly.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old September 25th 06, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Peter Fox writes:

| $64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
| The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
| qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you with
| televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.
|
| Cycling needs brains not mouthpieces.

The other television Jeremy? He cycles and he has brains, and is
not inclined to suffer fools gladly.

Mr Paxman..

There are a surprising [1] number of high profile types who cycle. Most
just get on with it.

I think JS will be a good figurehead for the CTC and will be able to be
'on message' when necessary. Whether he will ever have a 'Jon and his
mates' ride like the Ph&F remains to be seen (dodging through city
centres on the pavement?)

JP would be somewhat too abrasive a personality for the diplomatic role
of CTC president?

...d

Old September 25th 06, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pinky

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
in message , Peter Fox
l') wrote:

$64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you with
televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.

Boris Jonstone?

No, I am vaguely serious. He is a Tory, I know, but he is well known as a
regular utility cyclist and is media-friendly in his own bizarre way.

You have to be out of your mind! And I am not talking about politics here

Old September 25th 06, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article
Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Peter Fox
l') wrote:

$64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you with
televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.

Boris Jonstone?

No, I am vaguely serious. He is a Tory, I know, but he is well known as a
regular utility cyclist and is media-friendly in his own bizarre way.

We like Boris :-)
Old September 25th 06, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Stephen Patterson

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 14:20:29 +0100, Peter Fox wrote:
$64,000 question for urc : Who /would be/ a better ambassador?
The obvious candidate is Adam Hart-Davis who has the 'dirty knees'
qualification but there must be alternatives which those of you with
televisions and sporty knowledge would know about.

Yes, him or the presenter of that recent bbc programs about mapping who went
over some of the lake district passes on a 100 year old bike ...
ah yes, Nicholas Crane http://www.tvfactual.co.uk/nicolas_crane.htm though Adam
Hart's better known.

--
Stephen Patterson :: :: http://patter.mine.nu/