Air Shocks and Floodgates

Old October 28th 04, 06:23 AM
JoelM

Default Air Shocks and Floodgates

Anyone have any input on this?
::spams to the top and runs away::

JoelM Wrote:
As I move closer to buying a nice bike, I've run across this on air
shocks. Some have internal floodgates, the slightly more expensive
models have external ones. From what I've read, it sounds like you
basically set them to your liking for the lockout position and leave
them alone. Am I wrong on this?
How much tinkering does one do with the floodgate adjustement? Is it
worth bumping up to the external floodgate model?
-Joel

--
JoelM

Old October 28th 04, 12:38 PM
gazzer

JoelM Wrote:
As I move closer to buying a nice bike, I've run across this on air
shocks. Some have internal floodgates, the slightly more expensive
models have external ones. From what I've read, it sounds like you
basically set them to your liking for the lockout position and leave
them alone. Am I wrong on this?
How much tinkering does one do with the floodgate adjustement? Is it
worth bumping up to the external floodgate model?
-Joel

I'm not sure anyone knows what you mean, i don't really either.
If you're talking about some kind of platform damping like 5th element
or curnutt then yes it is worth it on some bikes, not so important on
others.
If you're talking about an external reservoir this is only really for
longer stroke shocks as found on downhill bikes etc, but then it's
unlikely to be an air shock.
Stable plafrom shocks do work with a kind of floodgate design, whereby
the valving opens under trail conditions but not through low frequency
pedalling forces.
And now my gins wearing off and i've forgotten what i was talking
about