Winter bike wear for roundlings

Old October 26th 04, 08:24 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-10-26, Ride-A-Lot penned:

Confidence, man! Confidence! I hate to say this, too. Another secret to
my weight loss was giving up alcohol for good. I know that's blasphemy in
the MTB world, but I just thought it was wasted calories, made me feel like
crap in the morning, and I like pasta more than beer. I don't miss it.
OK, I miss Guiness but I can deal with the pain. In the recent camping trip
we all sat around the fire drinking beer, and I had my Coca-Cola.

Does coke have fewer calories than beer?

My problem seems to be coffee (I flavor my mug of milk with some coffee) and
fruit juice -- fruit juice is nutritionally about as healthy as sugar-water.
I gave up fully-caffeinated bevs a few years ago (and am a much happier person
because of it, sadly), and I drink my few girl-drinks so slowly that I never
manage to get to the point where I feel ill the next day. Probably a good
thing =)

So hard to get into a good food routine and so easy to bust it -- Germany got
me reaccustomed to fatty foods, and my current injury is goading me into
eating "comfort foods." I looked at myself in profile yesterday and did *not*
like what I saw. All this summer's work (both +muscle and -fat) seems to have
been nixed. It's hard to get motivated when it's dark by the time I leave the
office.

Okay, enough self-pity. I just need more self-discipline. And maybe a lock
on the cupboard.

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain
Old October 27th 04, 03:06 AM
JD

"geemike" wrote in message ...
A buddy tells me I'm risking tendonitis of the knees if I ride
below 60(f) without some type of biking pants.

Your buddy sounds goofy.

I've built myself into relatively nice riding condition this
summer/fall and don't want to stop riding with the onset of cold
weather. Are there any bike wear companies that make stuff that
might fit me? I'm 5'5", 225 lbs.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com for the light and midweight wicking
long sleeve shirts...amny sizes and colors to choose from and very
inexpensive.

I can fit the extra large roadie jackets, but finding something to
cover my legs has been impossible.

BTW, I'm a roadie on a MTB, riding in Salt Lake City.

Repeat after me, "stay on the trail" and repeat over and over until
you lose the roadie tendencies.

JD
Old October 27th 04, 08:01 PM
Westie

Slacker wrote:
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:33:37 -0700, GeeDubb wrote:

Westie wrote:
Slacker wrote:
I am 5'5" and was almost 190 last year
That's exactly where am at now (dang it!).

I'm 5'7" and just under 200 at the moment. Even when I'm in great
shape and riding the bike until I'm senseless, I'm still no less
than 185. Big bones, I tell you. Big bones and a few extra pounds
and blam! You're over 200 just like that.

5'9", 195. Genetics suck! Like you, in my best race shape I still
tipped
the scale at 185 and then couldn't fit into the jeans I wore at 195
(thunder
thighs). Stopped drinking for a year and nothing, notta, zilch
weight loss
so I started drinking again....no weight gain or loss. Now I need
to cut out the bread and see if that helps with the weight loss......

Atkins, you suck! I need the carbs, man!

Gary

hehehe... I did Atkins for a couple years, but I need those carbs too.
Atkins wasn't't long term sustainable for me.

I saw the results of a study done on the Atkins diet released a couple of
months ago. The conclusion was that Atkins was good for short term weight
loss but after 12 months (or was it 6?) it was no better than any other
diet. They specifically mentioned that they hadn't looked at the
nutritional implications of long term Atkins diet either.

I guess it comes back to the ol' energy in must be less than energy out,
regardless of the diet you use.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)