Who didn't see the Tour

Old July 10th 07, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

Default Who didn't see the Tour

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007, Simon Brooke wrote:
John B ') wrote:

If you coudnt get there you missed out on some real cycling history.

I didn't see the Tour. It's a long way, I don't like crowds, and I work on
two stage races every year (and organise a number of smaller events).
However...

I didn't see the tour, though it's quite close.

I'm not very interested in watching any sport and I really _really_
don't like crowds (probably verging on the phobic - certainly I get
irrational sensations of unease and discomfort heading towards panic).
Even the photos of it make me feel a bit iffy.

If you need to stand in crowds to experience cycling history, you're
welcome to it.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old July 10th 07, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

dkahn400 wrote:

You can see me on the telly at the top of the Quarry Hill climb by
going to http://tour.itv.com/. Click the Video button and select
"Stage 1 - McEwen's Kent comeback". At exactly 19:00 minutes I am on
the left in a steward's hi-viz orange vest, wearing shorts, sunglasses
and an official Tour cap. I yelled something like "Go, Dave, go" as
they shot past and one "go" is clearly audible on the soundtrack. :-)

That's inflation for you. It used to be 15 minutes for fame but now its
down to just 2 seconds ;-)

Tony

Old July 10th 07, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:22:20 -0000, dkahn400
wrote:

On Jul 10, 9:04 am, Simon Brooke wrote:

Crowds over the weekend are now being estimated at more than four million.
If that is so, 8% of the whole population of England - of the whole of
England - turned out to watch. The number on the roadside on Sunday
exceeded the whole population of Kent.

You can see me on the telly at the top of the Quarry Hill climb by
going to http://tour.itv.com/. Click the Video button and select
"Stage 1 - McEwen's Kent comeback". At exactly 19:00 minutes I am on
the left in a steward's hi-viz orange vest, wearing shorts, sunglasses
and an official Tour cap. I yelled something like "Go, Dave, go" as
they shot past and one "go" is clearly audible on the soundtrack. :-)

Mrs. Hall is on t'telly too, as they approach Goudhurst. She's on the
left hand side of the road,part of the Tandem Club Massive, but not in
TC kit. My right leg also gets its 15 milliseconds of fame a frame or
two later.

Tim
Old July 10th 07, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Jul 10, 6:30 pm, Tim Hall wrote:
My right leg also gets its 15 milliseconds of fame a frame or
two later.

You was robbed. One field in the UK should be 20ms. A whole frame
should be 40ms. :-)

Tim.

Old July 10th 07, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Scandrett

icogs wrote on 09/07/2007 23:19:
Le Tour is _THE_ reason for getting digied up, IMHO.

I have a passing interest in it and watched a little on ITV4 the other
day. However, the bandwidth allocated to the channel combined with the
bike uplinks corrupting meant that it was pretty much unwatchable - the
artefacts were just horrible. Since I wasn't too bothered I didn't
persevere.

Without getting into a uk.tech.broadcast style discussion about digital
TV and thte bandwidths given to different channels... I'm surprised it
didn't put other people off too.

Peter

--
http://www.scandrett.net/lx/
http://www.scandrett.net/bike/
Old July 10th 07, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_3_]

Peter Scandrett wrote:
icogs wrote on 09/07/2007 23:19:
Le Tour is _THE_ reason for getting digied up, IMHO.

I have a passing interest in it and watched a little on ITV4 the other
day. However, the bandwidth allocated to the channel combined with the
bike uplinks corrupting meant that it was pretty much unwatchable - the
artefacts were just horrible. Since I wasn't too bothered I didn't
persevere.

Without getting into a uk.tech.broadcast style discussion about digital
TV and thte bandwidths given to different channels... I'm surprised it
didn't put other people off too.

Check your aerial - we watched it on a 40" screen and it was fine..and
my eyesight's not that bad.

Tony
Old July 11th 07, 01:33 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 9 Jul, 22:42, "burt" wrote:
"John B" wrote in message

... Coming home today on the train from Petersfield, it seemed the whole
world had been at leTour - the guard, the refreshment trolly man, the
chap I sat next to, and the couple opposite.
They had all been and were ecstatic about the excitement of the event..

I then called in our local butcher to find he too was wearing a leTour
T-Shirt.

Incredible.
If you coudnt get there you missed out on some real cycling history.

According to reports on the BBC, two million people turned up to watch. Is
there any other sporting event in the UK which generates such popular
support? Which of course raises the question of why the media think that it
is something to be ignored usually?

you spot on the media think cricket tennis fi and soccer.they dont
know a good sport just take the drug issue out of cycling which is a
bad thing but the crashes they have and get back up

Old July 11th 07, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
Tim Hall tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:

Mrs. Hall is on t'telly too, as they approach Goudhurst. She's on the
left hand side of the road,part of the Tandem Club Massive, but not in
TC kit. My right leg also gets its 15 milliseconds of fame a frame or
two later.

Can I have your leg's autograph, O Mighty Tim :-)

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old July 11th 07, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Leighton

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 17:33:37 -0700,
wrote:
On 9 Jul, 22:42, "burt" wrote:
"John B" wrote in message

[...]

I think there is a difference between a once in a childhood event like
Le Tour coming to Britain and a week-in, week-out sport like football,
rugby or cricket or even a regular annual event. The novelty factor
brings out a lot more people to watch than would otherwise. How many
would come out to spectate if there was a yearly big race in Britain?
Well we have the latest incarnation of The Tour Of Britain. On a
shorter, city based stage maybe up to 100k will watch (I don't know
about the longer stages). This is still a good turnout.

Also I am not sure it is ignored by the media - this year I have seen a
number of track cycling events on terrestrial TV, and some mountain
biking. Which is more live / as-live coverage than there is of cricket
on terrestrial TV. Although if you add in radio coverage cricket does
rather better. Many popular sports get even less coverage than that.

Obviously if you are a big fan of sport cycling then you would want more
coverage. If you have only a casual interest in sport cycling then I
think the coverage is at about the right level. If you have no interest
then those people would say too much already.

--
Andy Leighton =

- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_