How to cross Thames River, CT

Old September 20th 04, 12:26 AM
Comcast News

Yes, I still have the routes you posted a year or so ago when I lived in Groton...before I moved to New London...and certainly before i moved here....bikeUNfriendly Fort Lauderdale FL...any hints on where to ride here? I've been getting up early and riding to the parks around. Nice parks.

Just got home from Yanks vs. Sawks weekend. Saw the saturday arss-whooping. Go Yanks.

Thanks again, for those great ride tips.

Stephanie
"NYRides" wrote in message t...
Good to hear, Rex. I've been wanting to share that route for a while. If
anybody else is interested, contact me. I can even provide a good backroads
route to the Pt. Jefferson Ferry and a cool shoreline route up the entire CT
shore from Bridgeport.
"Rex Vincere" wrote in message
This Narragansett idea was perfect. It made for a nice century ride from
NYC.
I took LIRR to Pt. Jefferson (2 hrs), rode to Orient Point (~50 miles),

took
the ferry to New London (90 mins), and took this route to Narrangansett
(another ~50 miles). Promise a friend a good seafood dinner to arrange a
ride back home. I ate at Aunt Carries (a sawdust on the floor kinda place
with great food) at the south tip of 108.
The only gotcha with this ride is the train and ferry adds about 4 hours

the ride, so I took the 6:15 train from NY and I was at Narragansett 12
hours later. The roads in RI are somewhat torn out, so it makes for slow
going once you are there.

Highlights of the trip:
- the ferry ride. a nice break at the 50 mile mark, although I found it
quite hard to get going again once the legs were all funky from sitting
around for 2 hours.
- Mystic. Nice little town. Wait around for the draw bridge to open. There
is a great ice-cream place just next to the bridge while you do so (added
another 30 minutes and more funky knees, though).
- bragging rights to say "I rode *to* RI in one day"

Gotchas:
- On Route 1 in RI, by the exit/entry ramps, they have these unridable
rumble strips on the shoulder (within the V of the road and the ramp),

which
forces you into the road along with the 70+ mph traffic
- Old post road has quite torn up sections
- On the route description, where it says "fill your bottles, nothing

after
here for a while": FILL your bottles, there is nothing after that for a
while.

Thanks for all the info.
Rex