No Helmets Needed?

Old January 7th 06, 06:02 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Default No Helmets Needed?

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 16:11:54 -0600, "HH" wrote:

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
snip
.
Only a savage and a barbarian like Frank K. would sink that low.

snip

I'm only guessing, but I'd bet Frank K. has never been called a savage and
barbarian in rec.bicycles.misc. Not even in one of their stupid helmet
threads.

Tough crowd in the recumbent room.

Not really tough crowd, just one crusty coot behind the curtain doiing
his best to scare off the villagers. ARBR has been at a low ebb,
you'll not often find a crowd there as of late.

Indiana Mike

I am enlivening the group which would otherwise expire of terminal boredom.
ARBR has been done in by a criminal vandal troll. That is because most of us
on ARBR are elderly men who do not have much stomach for combat. As you can
so plainly see, I am the exception.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old January 7th 06, 06:15 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"Johnny Sunset" wrote in message
oups.com...

HH wrote:
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
snip
.
Only a savage and a barbarian like Frank K. would sink that low.

snip

I'm only guessing, but I'd bet Frank K. has never been called a savage
and a
barbarian in rec.bicycles.misc. Not even in one of their stupid helmet
threads.

Tough crowd in the recumbent room.

See
http://highracers.blogspot.com/2005/12/save-recumbent-community-join-lamfra.html
for one person's opinion.

If I went to this link and saw something I did not like (an obscenity for
instance) I would have to spend the next half dozen posts taking Mr. Sherman
to the woodshed. I am tired of doing that, so I won't bother going to his
links anymore than I would bother going to the links of Ed Gin (the criminal
vandal troll who destroyed ARBR).

Mr. Sherman has always had a very strange sense of humor which I have never
understood. Truth to tell I am not amused by anything anymore. That is for
kids and dunces.

Old January 7th 06, 06:22 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"Johnny Sunset" wrote in message
ups.com...

Peter Clinch wrote:
One thing to bear in mind with 'bents is they have rather different
performance characteristics to typical uprights. You'll typically be
slower up hills, faster into headwinds and down hills. This can be a
problem for all concerned if you're on a group tour on a hilly, windy
circuit, depending on how much folk are happy to wait up and take it at
a slowest pace. Lower machines can make life a little more awkward to
speak to folk next to you, and the fact that other folk can't draft you
can be an annoyance to some, though it'll depend on the group.
Something to bear in mind if you're into group riding though.

The most annoying thing on larger group rides is when a cluster of
upright cyclists spread out and take up the whole road (or whole lane
when there is oncoming traffic) on a descent. This forces the rider on
an aerodynamic recumbent to ride the brakes all the way down the hill.
I am sure these same upright riders would be "****ing and moaning"
if a slow group of Fat Old Geezers (FOGs) on recumbents did the same on
an uphill section.

Recumbent cyclists like to go as fast as they can downhill to make up for
their turtle pace going uphill. However, no matter how fast recumbents go
downhill, they can never make it up. They will inevitably fall behind
uprights. If you aren't fast going uphill, you are not in the game.
Elementary, my dear Watson!

Old January 7th 06, 06:40 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

If I went to this link and saw something I did not like (an obscenity for
instance) I would have to spend the next half dozen posts taking Mr. Sherman
to the woodshed.

Yeah, fantasy can be so grueling.

I am tired of doing that,

Scared-y cat.

so I won't bother going to his
links anymore than I would bother going to the links of Ed Gin (the criminal
vandal troll who destroyed ARBR).

Mr. Sherman has always had a very strange sense of humor which I have never
understood.

It's understandable that humour escapes you.

Regards,

Be fruitful, multiply, and go forth.

While you're at it, I suggest designing/building yourself
a real recumbent instead of buying that off-the-shelf,
pre-made,stock stuff that inept lusers such as yourself
resort to. Maybe it'll help improve your self-image.
Especially if you can ride it around the block without
tbe wheels falling off in the first hundred yards.

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old January 7th 06, 07:08 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"Tom Keats" wrote in message
[...]
While you're at it, I suggest designing/building yourself
a real recumbent instead of buying that off-the-shelf,
pre-made,stock stuff that inept lusers such as yourself
resort to. Maybe it'll help improve your self-image.
Especially if you can ride it around the block without
tbe wheels falling off in the first hundred yards.

You bet, nothing like reinventing the wheel. That is what idiots do all the
time.

The only reason to build your own recumbent is to save some money.
Otherwise, it is a waste of time and effort. Anyone on RBM build their own
bikes? Of course not. That is because they have more brains than do we
recumbent cyclists.

Old January 7th 06, 09:31 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:

The only reason to build your own recumbent is to save some money.
Otherwise, it is a waste of time and effort. Anyone on RBM build their own
bikes? Of course not.

You'd be surprised. You've gotcher tallbikes & chopperz --
things that are boldly in-yer-face, unlike your recessive,
shy, shrinking-violet street luges that wanna get run over
in the blind spots in front of cement trucks while you
introvertedly avoid eye-contact or any other communication
with fellow road users. Such self-wrapped cocoonery!

That is because they have more brains than do we
recumbent cyclists.

Not brains. Balls.

Speaking of which -- you're not so great after all, are you?

Old January 7th 06, 11:29 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Be careful to which experts you defer your thinking Ed. In the case of
H*lm*ts, the most vocal experts in favor are the manufacturers. I
believe their primary interest is the $.

Actually the most vocal group is pediatricians, followed by doctors in
general. The manufacturers tend to be less vocal, because it would be
seen as too self-serving.

Do you feel it is irrelevant that the safest area in the world for
cycling (the Netherlands) has perhaps the lowest incidence of h*lm*t
use?

The reason for this has been explained many times. It's due to
differences in cycling road infrastructure, the attitudes of drivers
towards cyclists, the near 100% use of lighting at night, etc. If you go
to the Netherlands, you'll understand the difference.

And what is your answer to the experts who point out that no
population has ever shown a decrease in head impact injury when h*lm*t
use increased?

The population studies do show that a) cycling is not a dangerous
activity, and b) compulsion laws are a bad idea. But don't fall for the
junk science promulgated by people from the anti-compulsion side. They
have taken spurious correlation to levels usually only seen in fake
studies for OTC medications, herbal remedies, and diet pulls.

I'm sure you are aware that h*lm*t threads take on a life of their
own. You've seen it many times before. It is your kind of thread. Most
folks have closed minds and will not think at all.

That's fine, but what's sad is when the people with closed minds cause
other people to close their minds as well.
Old January 7th 06, 02:37 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Mike Rice wrote:

I have a friend who is a physical therapist. He has had patients who
suffered debilitating head injury while riding without h*lm*ts and
will never have a normal life as a result. He is a h*lm*t proponent.

I have a relative that is also a PT, and she's has the same
perspective. However I don't believe that doctors or PT's, who only
deal with the injured patients, have a balanced view. It's fine for
them to explain how helmets reduce the severity of head injuries, and
certainly the ER and accident data shows this to be beyond question,
but the number of such injuries is sufficiently low that compulsion, at
least for adults, is not warranted. It's better to approach the issue
through education, which will not alienate people.

Ironically the biggest contribution toward more compulsion is the rash
of junk science papers and articles generated by the anti-compulsion
forces. The medical community feels obliged to respond in some way, and
they have the respectability that is necessary to get the compulsion
laws pushed through.

Old January 7th 06, 03:48 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Edward Dolan wrote:
"The Wogster" wrote in message
.. .

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

Anyone who does not wear SOMETHING on their blasted head when in the
great out of doors is uncivilized. If you were civilized you would know
this much at least. But you are a barbarian and a savage who goes about
the world uncovered. You belong in New Guinea, not the Western World.

In the good old days, a gentleman of culture and leisure such as myself
would not be caught dead out of doors without SOMETHING on his blasted
head. I blame President Kennedy for setting in motion this penchant for
not wearing anything on your blasted head. Frank, I urge you, put
SOMETHING on that blasted head of yours, most especially when you are
riding your bike. Otherwise, you will look like the dork and the jerk
that you are.

I am also of the notion that grown men should not be wearing baseball
style of caps. They are for nerdy teenagers, not dignified men of the
world. Go back to the 1930's if you would know what we should be wearing
on our blasted heads.

I suppose that means we need to wear a wool suit, tie and spats, with
Oxfords to go along with that fedora. I spend 6 months of the year
wearing a touque outside, typically wear a ball cap during the summer,
when being active. They keep the sun off your head, the sun out of your
eyes, work well for keeping rain out of your eyes as well.

I do not like any kind of caps. Hats are what is called for for grown men.
Caps are for kids. Men wearing caps look absurd. They look dorky and jerky.

In winter, I would rather be a warm dork, then, well there has never
been a proper hat, designed for winter use, except maybe those Russian
things made from dead animal fur. They are heavy, and really kind of ugly.

But most men dress like slobs these days in every respect. Men who wear blue
jeans are especially hideous.The fatter and uglier we get, the worse we
dress. The only solution is the grave when the world will be rid of our
loathsome presence.

There is, of course, a solution to that, more human powered miles, fewer
car miles. The more calories you burn, given the same amount of food,
the less weight you need to worry about.

I refer you to the good old days of the 1930's and 1940's when men looked
like men with proper hats on their heads. Apparently those days are gone
forever and we are doomed to go into the future looking like very old kids
with beanies on our heads and blue jeans on our asses. It is really quite
laughable.

If one does no physical activity faster then a walk or cycles at less
then 7MPH, and does so only when the temperature is between 40F and 75F
then clothing from those days would make sense. Mind you the
practicality of denim outside of those temperature regions, also doesn't
make sense, because it chaffs in the summer, and since it's cotton, it
simply gets cold and wet in winter.

One thing we have really gained, recently is activity centred clothing,
where the way you dress, is indictive of activity, the stuffed shirt can
wear a shirt and tie. The cyclist can wear cycling clothes, the hiker
can wear hiking clothes (other then the pocket placement, and no need of
a chamios) this is similar to cycling clothing.

Old January 7th 06, 04:10 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Mike Rice wrote:

I have a friend who is a physical therapist. He has had patients who
suffered debilitating head injury while riding without h*lm*ts and
will never have a normal life as a result. He is a h*lm*t proponent.

Um, shouldn't you asterisk abusers also b*st*rdize the SUBJECT line?!?

eg

Bill "helmet h*ir" S.

No Helmets Needed? NYC XYZ General 206 January 16th 06 01:08 PM
Bicycle helmets help prevent serious head injury among children, part one. John Doe UK 3 November 30th 04 03:46 PM
Does public health care pay for your head injuries? John Doe UK 187 November 30th 04 02:51 PM
Convincing people to use helmets Oliver Keating UK 391 February 25th 04 11:50 AM
Compulsory helmets again! Richard Burton UK 526 December 29th 03 08:19 PM