4 flats on one (road bike) ride!

Old December 21st 04, 12:53 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...

Actually, it's quite a good one. Try taking an old inner tube and
cutting it with a knife when it's dry, and then try again with it under
water. You'll see why a sharp rock can puncture a wet tire much easier
than it can a dry one.

??
The water here makes no difference. If water was such a good
lubricant we would be using it in more industrial situations. I would
sure prefer water to oil as a lubricant in my autombobile; it would be
cheaper and much more environmentally friendly. That you DON'T see it
being used as such speaks volumes against your argument.

The problem with using water as a general-purpose lubricant is its
corrosiveness and its tendency to evaporate, not its lubricity. In some
applications, its relatively high surface tension is also a problem.
That said, there are many places where it *is* used as an industrial
lubricant. For two examples, the coolant pumps of power plants are
lubricated by the water they pump, and so is the water pump in your car
engine.

Regardless, things will stick to wet items better than dry ones.
That's an indesputable fact.

Not in my experience. I have much trouble getting patches to stick to a
wet tube, and tape doesn't stick to wet things very well either.

Try this: take a small sliver of glass, like you find on roads that
cause flats in your tires. Touch it to the tire casing at the 3:00
position very lightly. It will probably fall off.

Now wet down the tire casing and the sliver of glass. Touch it to the
casing at the same position using the same light force. Notice it is
much less likely to fall off. Rotate the wheel. Notice the glass is
more than likely still there.

That's true. Now take that same sliver of glass, press it against your
*dry* tire, and slide it a short distance as if you were trying to cut
your tire. It likely won't cut. Now get the tire wet and try the same
experiment; you'll probably see very different results.

Enough said.

Yep.

newsgroups if possible).
Old December 22nd 04, 12:41 AM
NobodyMan

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 07:53:01 -0500, David Kerber
wrote:

[...]

Out of curiousity I just tried this. The result, after over 30 tries:
no difference between the dry tire casing and the wet one.