Cable Pull Shifter Movement Chart

Old March 8th 05, 03:31 PM
Paul Kopit

Default Cable Pull Shifter Movement Chart

Somewhere the chart exists but I can't seem to locate it. I'm looking
for a table that has the amount of cable that a shift lever pulls and
the amount that a rear derailleur moves for each unit of cable pull.

i.e., I'd like to know how much cable a 10 sp Campy shifter pulls and
how much movement a Shimano rear derailleur will move for that amount
of cable pull. (I read 4.6 mm) I'd like to know for multiple
combinations.

I know I've seen the info but cannot place where.
Old March 8th 05, 03:42 PM
Pete Biggs

Paul Kopit wrote:
Somewhere the chart exists but I can't seem to locate it. I'm looking
for a table that has the amount of cable that a shift lever pulls and
the amount that a rear derailleur moves for each unit of cable pull.

i.e., I'd like to know how much cable a 10 sp Campy shifter pulls and
how much movement a Shimano rear derailleur will move for that amount
of cable pull. (I read 4.6 mm) I'd like to know for multiple
combinations.

I know I've seen the info but cannot place where.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

~PB

Old March 8th 05, 04:52 PM
Paul Kopit

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:42:31 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
wrote:

I know I've seen the info but cannot place where.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

~PB

What took you so long. I must have waited 10 min. Thank you very
much!
Old March 9th 05, 02:01 PM
Ed Cory

nice chart. I notice that some numbers differ
from Sheldon Brown's per http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
ex.
Camp 10 4.15 vs 4.12
Shim 9 4.35 vs 4.34
I wonder who is right.

Since shim 9:camp 9 about 5 percent difference isn't
enough to be off by a cog if you align the center, this
smaller difference will likely enflame few, but its curious.
Ed

Old March 9th 05, 03:05 PM
Paul Kopit

On 9 Mar 2005 06:01:43 -0800, "Ed Cory"
wrote:

nice chart. I notice that some numbers differ
from Sheldon Brown's per http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
ex.
Camp 10 4.15 vs 4.12
Shim 9 4.35 vs 4.34
I wonder who is right.

Since shim 9:camp 9 about 5 percent difference isn't
enough to be off by a cog if you align the center, this
smaller difference will likely enflame few, but its curious.
Ed

And Campy 9 with pre 2000 derailleur 4.36.
Old March 9th 05, 04:02 PM
Werehatrack

On 9 Mar 2005 06:01:43 -0800, "Ed Cory" may
have said:

nice chart. I notice that some numbers differ
from Sheldon Brown's per http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
ex.
Camp 10 4.15 vs 4.12
Shim 9 4.35 vs 4.34
I wonder who is right.

At those levels of precision, probably both for some sample.

Since shim 9:camp 9 about 5 percent difference isn't
enough to be off by a cog if you align the center, this
smaller difference will likely enflame few, but its curious.

Probably of no consequence. One might have been from a manufacturer's
published specs and the other from measurement of the results from a
tested sample, or both might have been measured results and still give
variant figures. In theory, all of the assemblies of a given type
will perform identically. In practice, they seldom do.

Old March 9th 05, 04:25 PM
Pat Lamb

Ed Cory wrote:
nice chart. I notice that some numbers differ
from Sheldon Brown's per http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
ex.
Camp 10 4.15 vs 4.12
Shim 9 4.35 vs 4.34
I wonder who is right.

Just guessing, but this 0.01 mm could be manufacturing tolerance; one
got data from the designers, the other measured. Although I'm not sure
I'd believe any measurements down below about 0.10 mm.

Pat
Old March 10th 05, 06:29 AM

Getting back to cable pull: Apparently, the sprocket spacing (or
sprocket pitch) is uniform across the cassette. Seems to me, then,
that the cable pull can't be exactly uniform across all the shifter's
clicks. IOW, the "shift ratio" in
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946 can't be a
constant.

I say this because the cable acts as a diagonal to the derailleur's
parallelogram. Look at one half of that parallelogram as a triangle:
shortening the "hypotenuse" (for brevity - you know what I mean) by a
constant amount per click would not give a constant sideways motion.

So, are the clicks in a shifter then non-uniform in the amount of cable
they pull? Or are the sprockets not uniform in spacing? Or is there
something I'm not seeing?

Old March 10th 05, 02:49 PM
dianne_1234

On 9 Mar 2005 22:29:52 -0800, wrote:

Getting back to cable pull: Apparently, the sprocket spacing (or
sprocket pitch) is uniform across the cassette. Seems to me, then,
that the cable pull can't be exactly uniform across all the shifter's
clicks. IOW, the "shift ratio" in
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946 can't be a
constant.

I say this because the cable acts as a diagonal to the derailleur's
parallelogram. Look at one half of that parallelogram as a triangle:
shortening the "hypotenuse" (for brevity - you know what I mean) by a
constant amount per click would not give a constant sideways motion.

So, are the clicks in a shifter then non-uniform in the amount of cable
they pull? Or are the sprockets not uniform in spacing? Or is there
something I'm not seeing?

You're right. Years ago I (imprecisely) measured Dura-Ace 8 speed and
found clearly uneven steps in cable pull. Unfortunately I don't have
the numbers any more.
Old March 10th 05, 09:51 PM
A Muzi

Getting back to cable pull: Apparently, the sprocket spacing (or
sprocket pitch) is uniform across the cassette. Seems to me, then,
that the cable pull can't be exactly uniform across all the shifter's
clicks. IOW, the "shift ratio" in
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946 can't be a
constant.

I say this because the cable acts as a diagonal to the derailleur's
parallelogram. Look at one half of that parallelogram as a triangle:
shortening the "hypotenuse" (for brevity - you know what I mean) by a
constant amount per click would not give a constant sideways motion.

So, are the clicks in a shifter then non-uniform in the amount of cable
they pull? Or are the sprockets not uniform in spacing? Or is there
something I'm not seeing?

I think you have it - just fill in the last blank.
The cassette cogs are evenly spaced. The indexing 'cam' (
the slotted steel thing the springs snap into when shifting)
has progressively wider spaces, as you go toward low, to
compensate for the reduced lateral movement inherent to the
changed leverage as the parallelogram deforms.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org