RR: Back in the Saddle

Old April 11th 05, 03:10 AM
tcmedara

Default RR: Back in the Saddle

The doc finally cleared me to start riding again after my shoulder surgery
in early Feb. I took the boy wonder with me just to keep the pace down and
make sure I didn't push it to fast or hard the first time out. The boy was
a bit nervous since he hadn't done any off-road riding for months. The
trail was in perfect shape -- dry, hard, and clear of winter crud. Weather
was about 74 F with a slight breeze. It just couldn't get any more ideal.

Amazingly, the boy wonder was on fire. He was clearing stuff and carrying
speeds that he'd never done. It seems a few months growth, and a bit of
extra height and strength were the ticket. He was all over the technical
sections and only bailed on a few climbs. I on the other hand, felt like a
wounded walrus out there. The lad led the way and set the pace. Normally
following behind him is excruciatingly slow. Today it was just perfect.
He's improved enough to actually carry some speed, and I had no desire or
fitness to go much faster. He finished the loop with a big grin, and I was
pretty satisfied myself. The shoulder managed okay, nothing ice and tylenol
can't fix.

It was my first real ride with the new LX cranks, too. Shifting was great,
but that's what I'd expect with a whole new drivetrain. Otherwise I didn't
notice much difference from the RF I had on before. No complaints either,
so I guess that's a thumbs up.

Tom

Old April 11th 05, 03:31 AM
Bill Sornson

tcmedara wrote:
[...]

Very cool, Tom -- congrats! When I had my (second) shoulder surgery, my
fitness actually /improved/ I think, by going to the gym and riding the
stationary bike, doing the stair-stepper, even running a little. Still,
that first ride after (in my case) 6 weeks was pretty weird-feeling.

Wait till you survive your first hard fall; then you'll know you're /really/
back in (or off!) the saddle...

Old Beat Up Bill

Old April 11th 05, 02:36 PM
Jimbo(san)

tcmedara Today it was just perfect.
He's improved enough to actually carry some speed, and I had no desire
or
fitness to go much faster. He finished the loop with a big grin, and I
was
pretty satisfied myself. The shoulder managed okay, nothing ice and
tylenol
can't fix.

Tom

Excellent RR!
It only gets better from here eh?

--- Jimbo...Wounded walrus syndrome also...(san)

--
Jimbo(san)

Old April 11th 05, 05:30 PM
JD

Bill Sornson wrote:
tcmedara wrote:
[...]

Welcome back, Tom.

Very cool, Tom -- congrats! When I had my (second) shoulder surgery,

my
fitness actually /improved/ I think, by going to the gym and riding

the
stationary bike, doing the stair-stepper, even running a little.

Still,
that first ride after (in my case) 6 weeks was pretty weird-feeling.

Wait till you survive your first hard fall; then you'll know you're

/really/
back in (or off!) the saddle...

Old Beat Up Bill

Shouldn't that be Old Beat Up Bill Who Needs To Mountain Bike More?

JD

Old April 11th 05, 05:45 PM
Bill Sornson

JD wrote:
Sorni wrote:

Old Beat Up Bill

Shouldn't that be Old Beat Up Bill Who Needs To Mountain Bike More?

"Need" is such a... OK, yeah. :-D Mojo /is/ a bit diminished lately; warm
weather and dry trails should help. (And a brand-new bike would definitely
add some incentive to the mix. Switchblade's seen better daze.)

Tired Titus Timmy

Old April 12th 05, 12:29 AM
tcmedara

Bill Sornson wrote:
:-D Mojo /is/ a bit diminished
lately;

All that GRS will do that to ya! That's why I spent my convalescence on the
couch popping narcotics and watching sports on TV. Now that there's some
manly ****!!! My mojo increased in direct proportion to the size of the
spare tire around my middle. Who new vicoden would give you the munchies?

.....but it's not a problem man, I can quit anytime I fell like it. I just
don't feel like it.....

Tom (not addicted Doc, I swear!)

Old April 12th 05, 12:54 AM

tcmedara wrote:
The doc finally cleared me to start riding again after my shoulder

surgery
in early Feb.

I have to know, did you get a good deal on the surgery? I hope you
went over your hospital bill closely.

Old April 12th 05, 01:46 AM
Michael Dart

tcmedara wrote:
[...]

Excellent! Let me know when you feel up to a road trip to Richmond.

Mike

Old April 12th 05, 03:50 AM
Dave W

"tcmedara" wrote in message
Bill Sornson wrote:
:-D Mojo /is/ a bit diminished
lately;

All that GRS will do that to ya! That's why I spent my convalescence on
the couch popping narcotics and watching sports on TV. Now that there's
some manly ****!!! My mojo increased in direct proportion to the size of
the spare tire around my middle. Who new vicoden would give you the
munchies?

....but it's not a problem man, I can quit anytime I fell like it. I just
don't feel like it.....

Tom (not addicted Doc, I swear!)

and the narcotics haven't affected your spelling AT ALL!