oil old and modern bikes

Old October 24th 18, 12:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default oil old and modern bikes

On old bikes, it is very easy to oil the two
front bearings, the pedals, the crank, and the
rear hub.

In particular the crank and the rear hub work
wonders just by a couple of drops, the pedals
are more a comfort thing, and I don't how how
much an affect it has on the front bearings.

Anyway I always do it people often say they
experience a "whole new bike", probably because
of this, the degreasing of the
chainrings/sprockets, and the new chain.

One can even get in new grease into the pedals
and the two front bearings with
a little fiddling.

On modern bikes the only thing I have oiled so
far, with chainsaw oil, is the casette, chain,
and chainrings. The pedals I can oil, but that
doesn't count because I replaced the modern
onces with traditional, so I can still use
my crocs.

So is there anything one can/should oil without
picking stuff apart, which obviously I won't do
unless there is some concrete problem that's
noticable when one rides the bike? Oh yeah, the
QR if they get stuck...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573