Is there any good non-rechargeable headlights anymore?

Old May 16th 17, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Is there any good non-rechargeable headlights anymore?

On 5/15/2017 6:21 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 15 May 2017 17:14:28 -0700, sms
wrote:

There had to have been a board in there because there were multiple
power levels, and flash mode.

Yep. Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222134093111

The light came on very bright, for a few seconds, before destroying the
LED or the driver.

Sounds about right for overheating. Over voltage would blow it up
instantly, while overheating takes some time. The usual culprit for
overheating is lousy heat sinking on the LED or regulator circuitry.

I had one Chinese flashlight where the LED got so hot that in unsoldered
itself from the board. It's not trivial to get a good thermal solution
for these high power LEDs. Look at the schemes being used in LED car
headlights, some of which have active cooling. The newer high-lumen
bicycle lights have moved to multiple LEDs. The better ones have temp
sensors that reduce the current to the LED when they get too hot.

We've traded the hot filament of incandescent bulbs for the hot
semiconductor junction of LEDs. There's no free lunch. But on
incandescent bulbs the heat comes out through a pretty large area of glass.

Old May 16th 17, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 10:26:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 3:22:28 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 5/15/2017 9:30 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eneloop
Using 4th generation numbers:
AAA 3 cells * 800 ma-hr * 1.5v = 3.6 watt-hrs
AA 2 cells * 2000 ma-hr * 1.5v = 6.0 watt-hrs

For a light that you're using every day, there's no upside in the
Eneloop batteries. They reduce self-discharge with a separator that is
thicker, decreasing the volume of chemicals. But if you're charging
every day anyway, self-discharge is not an issue. Also, the Eneloop Pro
AA are about 2500mAH and there are non-low-self-discharge NiMH cells
that deliver 2700mAH. The Eneloop Pro AAA are about 950mAH.

This sounds like exactly the thing for a bicycle headlight.

right, its like reading about Venezoola
Old May 16th 17, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 15 May 2017 15:19:08 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 5/15/2017 9:30 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eneloop
Using 4th generation numbers:
AAA 3 cells * 800 ma-hr * 1.5v = 3.6 watt-hrs
AA 2 cells * 2000 ma-hr * 1.5v = 6.0 watt-hrs

For a light that you're using every day, there's no upside in the
Eneloop batteries. They reduce self-discharge with a separator that is
thicker, decreasing the volume of chemicals. But if you're charging
every day anyway, self-discharge is not an issue. Also, the Eneloop Pro
AA are about 2500mAH and there are non-low-self-discharge NiMH cells
that deliver 2700mAH. The Eneloop Pro AAA are about 950mAH.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/elevating_self_discharge
The self discharge rate for non-LSD NiMH cells is:
10-15% in 24h, then 10-15% per month
and:
The self-discharge of all battery chemistries increases
at higher temperature, and the rate typically doubles
with every 10°C (18°F).
Good enough for commuting.

It also mentions that a standard NiMH cell is only good for 300-400
charge cycles. That's effectively new batteries every year. I would
prefer Eneloop cells, which are good for 2100 charge cycles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eneloop#AA_size

You're right that if you use NiMH for an every day commuting light,
ordinary NiMH will work just fine. However, if you wait a month or
more between rides, it would be best to recharge before riding.

I've been conducting something of an experiment to see just how bad
Chinese 18650 cells are. When tested on my West Mtn Radio CBA-II
discharge tester at 1.3A or 1.5A (appoximately what a headlight or
flashlight might draw in low power), I'm seeing 850 ma-hr to 1200
ma-hr. Never mind that these cells are mislabeled 3800 ma-hr to 5500
ma-hr. I've also purchased some of the "Belch Fire" type cells, which
run about the same capacity. Typical cost is about $1/ea:
A typical UltraFire 18650 cell:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/LiPo/Ultrafire%20LiPo%203000%20ma-hr%2018650%20test.jpg
A preliminary graph of what I'm seeing with cheap 18650 cells:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/battery-tests/18650.jpg
It seems to me that although these junk batteries don't come close to
the advertised specs or user expectations, they are adequate for short
rides and commuting. I'll know more after I try to kill a few of
them.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 16th 17, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

AE6KS por favor

let us know if the NiMH and Enloop batteries, and Belchfire, are relevant to the efficiency of buying n using Energizer Lion and competitive use in bicycle LED lights.

or why the NiMH Enloop Belchfire digression ?

to cut to the core so to speak n clear the air

Old May 16th 17, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 5:52:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:
AE6KS por favor

let us know if the NiMH and Enloop batteries, and Belchfire, are relevant to the efficiency of buying n using Energizer Lion and competitive use in bicycle LED lights.

or why the NiMH Enloop Belchfire digression ?

to cut to the core so to speak n clear the air

Generally, NiMH batteries that are properly cared for (charged and used often, stored in a cool, dry place, and not dropped) will last for 500 – 1000 charges or approximately two to three years. Remember, the more you use and charge NiMH, the longer they will last.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/Ba...s_ep_46-1.html

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/HL-EL540RC/

http://www.cateye.com/en/keywords/result/

so everyone uses NiMH in NIMH designed for headlamps ?

( tried energizer recharables using an energizer recharger bought Walmart with zeroooo results. trash. abt 15 years ago )
Old May 17th 17, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 16 May 2017 14:52:08 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

let us know if the NiMH and Enloop batteries, and Belchfire,
are relevant to the efficiency of buying n using Energizer
Lion and competitive use in bicycle LED lights.
or why the NiMH Enloop Belchfire digression ?
to cut to the core so to speak n clear the air

What does "efficiency of buying" mean? Efficiency is a ratio (or a
percentage of a ratio). What are you comparing?

LiIon and NiMH batteries are very different. To the best of my
limited knowledge, nobody makes a bicycle light that will take both
types of battery chemistries. Each has their benefits and determents
under specific conditions. An "efficiency" comparison would be like
comparing apples and oranges. If you really want to compare
efficiencies, kindly describe what type of efficiency:
- Charging time efficiency (fast and slow charges).
- Discharge efficiency at various load levels.
- Cost efficiency in terms of number of charge cycles, estimated
battery life, estimated runtime, etc per dollar.

Another apples and oranges problem is how much current is going
through the cells, at low currents, such as the 0.2C current used to
test the battery capacity, both chemistries perform about the same.
However, at higher currents, such as the 1-4 amps necessary to drive a
really bright LED headlight, LiIon works MUCH better than NiMH.

Anyway, please restate your question, this time leaving out the comma
splices and associated confusion.

Drivel... what to avoid:
http://lygte-info.dk/info/batteryDisassemblyUltraFire%20UK.html
Conclusion
Both types of UltraFires are bad cells. The 6000mAh is made
to be a cheap/fake cell for consumer usage with minimal
protection, the 3000mAh cell is made from old battery pack
cells and when you buy multiple cell they may be different,
even if they have the same wrapper.

These are the chargers often supplied with cheap flashlights.
http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%20Charger%20Bowei%20HC-103W%20UK.html
The charger do not use a CC/CV algorithm, but constant current
and terminates on voltage. The termination is around 4.45 volt,
this is way to high and not very safe. Due to this, I did not
do any more tests on the charger, instead I found a screwdriver.
Both testing with 2500 volt and 5000 volt between mains and
low volt side failed, making the charger unsafe everywhere in
the world.
Conclusion
There is only one thing to say about this charger: Stay away
It do not fit the mains outlets, it cannot charge in a safe way
and it is dangerous to touch when plugged in.

Old May 17th 17, 02:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

On 5/10/2017 9:56 PM, sms wrote:
On 5/10/2017 5:44 PM, DougC wrote:

snip

I can make mounts too but don't really wanna.

Yeah, I make mounts. Not because I really wanna, but because I can make
mounts that are a lot better than what is commercially available. I use
the Maglite Delrin clamps on a piece of aluminum flat bar mounted to an
aluminum or steel clamp for the bars.

Well it looks like I'll be making mounts after all.
The most-capable-looking ones on Amazon don't look like they're going to
do too well here.
Old May 17th 17, 02:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

AE6KS ace !

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/HL-EL540RC/

sez the unit accepts NiMH and LIon

4000 cd ? a new unit for me.

I adopt a standard consumer ID.

The presence of NiMH headlamps at Cateye is a surprise. I like Cateye...like Ford or P&R or Kellog .....Crest.

Years back, NiMH was introduced via several instructions as part of the Evil Empire.

Years ago so we wind up here with a huge dialogue of NiMH and Lion and then when I look for Cateye's opinion I see NiMH Cayeye's.

**** ! I bought a bag of Lion rechargeables from Amazon. Stored in my bullet nose Studebaker.

so with Cateye offering a light doing NiMH and Lion then there is consumer effectiveness.... if true..... I accept Cateye's production wisdom.

If we can buy a or 2 eco Cateyes for around the block with ADEQUATE RUNNING TIMES POST CHARGE from the NIMH then Holy Moly Batman Lion is toast.

however, this is not apparent at the Wal Kiosk. How's Costco ?

Old May 17th 17, 02:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 12:16:57 PM UTC-7, wrote:

right, its like reading about Venezoola

So what you're saying is that you don't want to hear what's really going on in the world - you prefer fake news from the major media. Gotcha.

Old May 17th 17, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, May 17, 2017 at 9:28:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 12:16:57 PM UTC-7, wrote:

right, its like reading about Venezoola

So what you're saying is that you don't want to hear what's really going on in the world - you prefer fake news from the major media. Gotcha.

gee whiz we were waiting for your comment on the Cateye NiMH

BTW I contribute foreign policy analysis on a pro level.