Why are we getting posts on Mtn Biking on rec.bicycles.misc?

Old June 5th 06, 10:06 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Why are we getting posts on Mtn Biking on rec.bicycles.misc?

"Ken C. M." wrote in message
Colorado Bicycler wrote:
Why are we getting posts (or is it cross posts) on Mtn Biking on
rec.bicycles.misc?

Who is doing this?

Go away and stop the posts, please. Especially the Vandemann stuff. I
thought I got away from him years ago.

I think most of the cross posting junk is compliments of E.D.
But you are right it's really annoying.
I try to filter it.
But sometimes things slip through.

I am only doing this temporarily with the hope of saving ARBR. Once ARBR
recovers its' former health, I will stop with the cross posting. In the
meantime, bear with me.

However, is doesn't hurt the other cycling newsgroups to get in on this
issue of mountain biking on hiking trails. I think most of us are strictly
road cyclists, but there is a minority out there (mountain bikers) who are
ruining the trails for hikers.

Also, I am not sure what the value is of splitting up these cycling groups
into so many different ones. Very many topics cut across all cycling groups.
I think it is mainly the clubby types who want to keep things the way they
are. They like to dominate there own groups and do not want any interference
from outsiders. ARBR was full of these types too until I got rid of them.

RBS especially is sort of catch all cycling group I would say. The vast
majority of posts to this group are trivial beyond measure. They are
essentially mindless, fit only for idiots, morons and imbeciles. RBS needs
input from other groups which are not nearly so stupid as it. When a
newsgroup is reduced to nothing but greetings and other such nonsense, then
you know it has died and gone to hell. The clubby womanly types have taken
over. Like Somerset Maugham, I am not a clubable man.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old June 5th 06, 06:21 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

It sure seems Mr. Ed is out to annoy people on all groups. I ride an MTB
both on the road and off the road on the sacred trails. My riding these
trails does no more to hurt them than walking would, but in past years I
have seen the damage a motorcycle could do. There is a world of
difference between a mountain bike skidding a locked rear and a
motorcycle throwing a rooster tail of dirt off the trail. Ed should know
the difference before he starts clogging up multiple groups.
Sorry for the cross posting but I don't know where this started.
Bill Baka
Old June 5th 06, 07:20 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Bill Baka wrote:
Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

I don't mind cross posting, as long as it is cycling related. But the
problem is that A LOT of what E.D. cross posts is pure dribble. I often
wonder if E.D. actually rides or just pretends that he does. I have yet
to see a posting about any riding he does. Perhaps if I searched the
archives, but that would require effort, which I don't think is a worthy
expenditure of my energy.

Ken
--
New cycling jersey: $49
new cycling shorts: $39

contact me he http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/contact.html
Old June 5th 06, 10:33 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Bill Baka wrote:
Sorry for the cross posting but I don't know where this started.

It started with a mindless dolt who goes by "ed dolan the grape" or
something like that.

JD

Old June 7th 06, 05:10 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 10:21:08 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

Ed should know
the difference before he starts clogging up multiple groups.
Sorry for the cross posting but I don't know where this started.
Bill Baka

When Mr. Ed [Edward Dolan] posts his inevitable follow up he would
'restore' all the
groups anyway. Nothing is more important to him than the final post to
any thread in which he is involved. I try to limit my occasional
comment regarding him to ARBR, but he 'restores' the cross-posting in
each follow-up. At least this way the people who are very bothered by
him (and have employed filters) won't see him quoted in additional
posts from me.

Mike Rice will have to get up awfully early in the morning to outwit the
Great Ed Dolan, He can post to whatever newsgroups he wants and he can edit
however he pleases - and I shall do the same. Mike Rice mainly wants to be
as inoffensive as possible. I don't care about being inoffensive, but I do
care about being interesting. Maybe Mike Rice could learn something by
reading my messages with a more open mind. The only sin on Usenet is to be
dull.

I have no objection to limited cross posting, if on topic and not
spam. Going against an original poster's intent and high-jacking
threads does not really seem appropriate, however. Seems more the
action of a 'criminal vandal troll' type.

Others are responding to what has gone before on other threads and when that
is the case I will restore the original newsgroups so as to preserve some
continuity. But in any event, my messages are for one and all, not a select
clubby few.

ARBR used to populated and lively, one occassionally still sees an
on-topic post of two, but the invectiveness of a few have rendered
that group rather uninhabited.

ARBR was destroyed by a criminal vandal troll a couple of winters ago.
Members like Mike Rice never did one damn thing to prevent the destruction.
I could care less what he thinks about ARBR the way it is now. He was out to
lunch with most of the members when it needed defending. Only I and a few
others had the guts to take on the criminal vandal troll. If ARBR is a
graveyard now, it is thanks to guys like Mike Rice.

Old June 7th 06, 05:18 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

Old Bill Baka is certainly right about the harm that a motorcycle can do to
the terrain, but even though bike riders do not do as much damage, they
still annoy by just being on the trail with hikers. It disturbs my peace of
mind to see, hear or even know of a cyclist on a hiking trail. Cyclists need
to get their own tails because the peace of mind of Ed Dolan the Great is
paramount.

Old June 8th 06, 05:01 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Besides the question was why is this being cross posted. Quit it whoever
started it.
You are all crazy

"smn" wrote in message
Oh I guess you mean posting on top of a reply. I do not trust or expect
people to go to the end of long posts so I just quote and top post instead
of end post.
Nothing wrong with that I hope. It is not a superiority thing at all.

Cheers
smn

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
.net...
"smn" wrote in message
I just block those types of posters. Now I am headache free.

Do you also block top-posters?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
See the books I've set free at:

Old June 8th 06, 05:19 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"smn" wrote in message

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

Besides the question was why is this being cross posted. Quit it whoever
started it.
You are all crazy

The Great Ed Dolan never quits anything - ever! It is a constant delight and
a joy forever for me to take nuts and screwballs like you to the woodshed
for a good sound whipping. How else would a blockhead like you ever learn
anything?

Either post right or begone!

Old June 9th 06, 12:17 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 18:48:00 GMT, smn wrote:

You might ask what does any of this have to do with cross posting. Who
mentioned topposting Not me.

No doubt it was Edward the Bleat, of the Order of the Perpetually Shallow
who started the complaints of top posting. In this case, though, he was
correct.

Personally I feel that top-posting is fine, but only if you don't intend
for anyone to respond to you. If they do, they're forced to post a reply
in front of the question, making the resulting dialogue look like a
transcript from Jeopardy.

Why do you not hassle cross posters then?
You supposedly cannot read that is why.

Ah, the good old "you cannot read", typically used in reply to someone who
has already *read* your previous posts, and *written* to address the
person you're claiming can't read.

What is...Edward the Bleat! Trolls for 400, Alex.

Ed HAS been griped at and told (and perhaps even agrees) that it is poor
netiquette, but yet he continues...even to replies with newsgroups
appropriately trimmed. Rampant cross-posting, imflammatory statements,
gratuitous hyperbole, claims of something he can't possibly be...all the
earmarks of a troll.

--
-BB-
To e-mail me, unmunge my address
Old June 9th 06, 11:54 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"BB" wrote in message
On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 18:48:00 GMT, smn wrote:

You might ask what does any of this have to do with cross posting. Who
mentioned topposting Not me.

No doubt it was Edward the Bleat, of the Order of the Perpetually Shallow
who started the complaints of top posting. In this case, though, he was
correct.

Personally I feel that top-posting is fine, but only if you don't intend
for anyone to respond to you. If they do, they're forced to post a reply
in front of the question, making the resulting dialogue look like a
transcript from Jeopardy.

I cannot predict what in any message of mine is going to be picked up and
replied to. That is one of the chief fascinations for me. I know what I
would zero in on, but I cannot predict what others will zero in on.

Why do you not hassle cross posters then?
You supposedly cannot read that is why.

Ah, the good old "you cannot read", typically used in reply to someone who
has already *read* your previous posts, and *written* to address the
person you're claiming can't read.

Once a message gets posted to a newsgroup it takes on a life of its' own. It
is like all human conversation that way.

What is...Edward the Bleat! Trolls for 400, Alex.

Ed HAS been griped at and told (and perhaps even agrees) that it is poor
netiquette, but yet he continues...even to replies with newsgroups
appropriately trimmed. Rampant cross-posting, imflammatory statements,
gratuitous hyperbole, claims of something he can't possibly be...all the
earmarks of a troll.

I was never sure myself what constituted a troll, until I met a real live
one on ARBR a couple of years ago. Trust me on this BB, I am not a troll. I
am merely contentious, and I like to say outrageous things in order to get
some kind of reaction. And most important of all, I will never leave a
respondent hanging. I will do a reply even if it kills me. In other words, I
stand behind everything I write. These are most definitely NOT the earmarks
of a troll.

I hope the cross-posting will only be temporary as I am trying to save ARBR
by dragging other threads to it. It seems like very many topics are of
general interest and can be on more than one newsgroup without doing any
damage to any other newsgroups.

My gratuitous hyperbole is my most endearing quality and I would be lost
without it. You would not want me to ever get sober and serious would you?