Divorce Your Car --and get into a relationship with a Bike!

Old July 18th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Michael Warner

Default Simply have an affair with the bike

On 18 Jul 2006 07:44:55 -0700, donquijote1954 wrote:

Just don't leave her. Simply have an affair with the bike.

Or become a bigamist.

Old July 18th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Bill

Default the sheep follow the herd

trino wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote in message
oups.com...
trino wrote:
Too expensive in the cost of time. Very few people can afford to use
bike.
More likely than not they are either afraid, or simply have given much
thought to it. Remember, the sheep follow the herd, and the herd
follows the SUV commercials.

How much do you sins cost you?

My sins are on the cheap by now. No tobacco or even alcohol. Cheaper
than confessing my sins and paying 10% of my salary to the church.

I hear you. I should also add we cannot afford not to ride a bike.
The energy crisis has cost millions of innocent lives because people are
stupid enough to go to war to fill their gas tanks.

Maybe not millions of ours, but the troop deaths are coming close to
what the tower attacks totaled up to be. Solar cells are really not that
expensive to produce, but there has been no competition between giants
like Intel and AMD due to lack of customer interest. Let's hope that
changes soon and the house with out a roof full of solar panels or a
windmill is declared the neighborhood eyesore. That would sure **** of
some of those high and might home owner's associations. My sister lives
in a planned community on the outskirts of Phoenix and she has never
mentioned even one house having any solar panels or water heating thee.
I guess if you can afford the house, you are supposed to afford the
power bill. A / C on an average 115 degree day with maybe 10% humidity
really sucks up the KW/Hr.s
Bill Baka
Old July 19th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides

Default Divorce Your Car --and get into a relationship with a Bike!

Dave Head wrote:
On 17 Jul 2006 15:14:50 -0700, "Arif Khokar"
wrote:

John S. wrote:
An interesting but very incomplete analysis of the true costs of
commuting by bike.

Take the average commuter that lives 20 miles from work. To make an
8-4 work schedule that commuter will have to get up at 4:00 to begin
riding at 5:00 to arrive at work by 8:00.

Are you saying you can only average 6 to 7 mph on a bike? I'm not very
fast, but I can average 15 mph on a bike. That means I can make the
commute in about 80 minutes give or take.

Try 20 miles each way in Virginia today. 100 degrees out there.

Just takes a little getting used to.

I'm in Maryland for the summer but I spend most of the year living on
Hainan Island in the South China Sea. If it its only 100 degrees I'm
cool and comfy and still biking.

Incremental cost: New bike every year plus repairs $2,000

Properly maintaining a good quality bike will cost far less than $2000
per year. The bike will last quite a bit longer than a year as well.

And maybe an expensive ride to the emergency room for heat exhaustion.

Only if you don't drink enough water.

-M

Old July 19th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
James Fitch

"Michael Warner" wrote in message
On 18 Jul 2006 07:44:55 -0700, donquijote1954 wrote:

Just don't leave her. Simply have an affair with the bike.

Or become a bigamist.

Or a bikeamist

Old July 19th 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
george conklin

wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:

John S. wrote:
An interesting but very incomplete analysis of the true costs of
commuting by bike.

Take the average commuter that lives 20 miles from work. To make an
8-4 work schedule that commuter will have to get up at 4:00 to begin
riding at 5:00 to arrive at work by 8:00.

Are you saying you can only average 6 to 7 mph on a bike? I'm not very
fast, but I can average 15 mph on a bike. That means I can make the
commute in about 80 minutes give or take.

Try 20 miles each way in Virginia today. 100 degrees out there.

Just takes a little getting used to.

Plus a place to bathe and change your clothes when you get to work.
Actually wash you clothes too.

Old July 19th 06, 12:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Peter Cole

Pat wrote:

Biking on packed snow -- especially snow over packed snow -- is very
tricky because the tires aren't formulated for it. The rubber is too
hard.

Not any bike tires I've used. How do you know this? Bike tire rubber
seems softer than car tire rubber.

Also, at 100 psi, you don't have enough contact with the ground.
So bikes and motorcycles go away when the snow starts.

You can have as much contact as you want, you can use treaded and even
studded tires. Lots of people ride bikes all winter in snowy climates --
I do.
Old July 19th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default when the Middle East becomes one big ball of fire

(brought from another group)

"When I was a kid the ice cream man (actually a teenager, but old to us
kids) traveled the neighborhood in my small flat-land town on a three
wheel bike with an ice chest. Two wheels and chest in front, one wheel
in back. It was a factory built looking rig with a row of bells mounted
across the handle bars. No electronic repetitive tune to drive you out
of your skull. The mailman walked to your front door rather than
driving down the curb and all of us kids walked to school except in the
worst of weather. We delivered papers by bike in summer and pulled them
on a sled in the winter. No car routes. What Happened???

Found a picture, they still make them:
http://www.industrialbicycles.com/v-ict.htm"

And now when the Middle East becomes one big ball of fire, the pizza
man will drive something like this...

http://www.industrialbicycles.com/Pi...%20Bicycle.htm

I'm looking forward to it (the man riding the bike).

Old July 19th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

trino wrote:
My sins are on the cheap by now. No tobacco or even alcohol. Cheaper
than confessing my sins and paying 10% of my salary to the church.

I hear you. I should also add we cannot afford not to ride a bike.
The energy crisis has cost millions of innocent lives because people are
stupid enough to go to war to fill their gas tanks.

I get you now. You are probably are referring to big fat Americans...

But everything will end when the Middle East becomes one big ball of
fire (see post elsewhere).

Old July 19th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

bicycle_disciple wrote:
What are you Lance Armstrong? Im not harrassing you because of your
speed, but given the fact that you said you take 3 frikkin hours to do
20 miles, and on top of that, you want a new bike every year,...thats
inexcusable!!! Expenses from road injuries?? 2000 dollars worth of
road injuried for 6mph??? What are you, a toddler or something???

Either a toddler or a senior citizen with a trike.