Divorce Your Car --and get into a relationship with a Bike!

Old July 20th 06, 08:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Chuck Anderson

Default the sheep follow the troll

Kevan Smith wrote:
In article ,
Chuck Anderson wrote:

Please remove rec.bicycles.rides from all of these irrelevant threads
(started by PITA trolls, I might add).

I've heard PITA trolls can be countered by HUMMUS elves.

BTW, you can remove rec.bicycles.rides from _your_ responses. And you
can also set followups outside r.b.r.

But, by whinging,

New word?
you've pretty much insured that all the responses now
will be deliberately posted to r.b.r.

Welcome to usenet. It's like junior high all over again.

To you and Arif, ... my post was a simple request - no reply was asked
for or needed ... unless, that is, you needed help understanding it.

Both of your assumptions about me are way off. I've been posting to
Usenet since Arpanet days and the good groups I've participated in over
all those years do not operate in this way (rec.bicycles.rides rarely
sees this much crap). Ignoring trolls is what users here need to do -
not following them blindly. Trolls will always be here, true, but they
are rendered meaningless if ignored.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old July 20th 06, 12:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides

Hi. This is the meow-send program at usenet. I'm afraid I wasn't able
to deliver any clue to the following address: Chuck Anderson

Trolls will always be here, true, but they
are rendered meaningless if ignored.

What fun is that?

---

"Do we operate under a system of equal justice under law? Or is there one system for the average citizen and another for the high and mighty?" ~ Senator Ted Kennedy, 1973

--

El Pollo Loco (Laura Bush Murdered Her Boyfriend) demonstrates it's complete gullibility, stupidity, and state of delusion when it falls for an April Fool's joke, hook, line, and sinker:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.p...6999983?hl=en&

Ragnar wrote:
Gods, you're dumb. Its a rather obvious April Fool's joke. And you're
the Fool.

This is no joke.
Old July 20th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Pat

I am not justifying cross-posting, but part of the problem is that the
OP cross-posted the latest edition of "bikes are better than cars" to
at least one planning group. Personally, I think it's a boring subject
by city-centered cyclists, but what can you do....

Chuck Anderson wrote:
Please stop cross posting to rec.bicycles.rides.

It is against the posting guidelines that were posted here just this week.

Old July 20th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default Four Wheels Good, Two Wheels Baaaad

Mark Hickey wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote:

A new bunch of trolls.

Don't feed the troll, folks. I know you think you can out-reason this
one (no doubt true) but it's like the proverb about teaching a pig to
sing.

Oh, my dear predator, why don't you sell Hummer parts instead of
bikes???

Don't you understand that once we get more bikes on the roads you will
sell more of your frames? It's not fair, it's not fair.

Well, that only shows you follow the Party Line: Four Wheels Good, Two
Wheels Baaaad...

Old July 20th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default the sheep follow the herd

Bill wrote:
$30,000 worth of equipment will make you pretty much independent of
the power grid AND the city water supply.

My sister would love to do it but they already have a crime problem in a
walled community. Too many illegals breaking and entering, even in a
heavily patrolled retirement community. Great idea, but I would put
about a 10,000 volt fence around it and then label it every 5 feet or
so, "Danger, this 10,000 volt fence will kill you if you touch it.",
but only in English. That way the morning cleanup could find the non
English speaking thieves who tried to climb it and steal something.
I know, I am so inhumane.
Sick of illegals, too.
Bill Baka

I would use only one word in German: achtung!

Old July 20th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Bill Sornson

Default Divorce Your Car --and get into a relationship with a Bike!

Paul O wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:
Paul O wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:
wrote:

I'm in Maryland for the summer but I spend most of the year living
on Hainan Island in the South China Sea. If it its only 100
degrees I'm cool and comfy and still biking.
Where in MD? I grew up in Silver Spring and lived in the DC area
all my life until moving to CA in '82. (Aaack, it's almost 50-50
now!) I don't go back often (no family left), but when I do I'm
always shocked how GREEN it is! LoSoCal is /brown/...

Bill "DC & CA: no wonder I'm goofy" S.

Hmmm, lets see now... 2006 minus 1982, times two... ;-)

You're only as old as you feel!

I'm 93?!? Aaack.

Paul D Oosterhout
(from SAIC)

Know Lenny Caro?

Sorry, I don't know Lenny Caro - SAIC is a big company.

Lenny was Best Man at BOTH of my weddings. LOL First one back there; second
one out here. (His getting sent to San Diego by SAI -- as it was know back
then? -- is how I ended up out here. Won't bore you...further!)

I'm about your (calendar) age and I grew up near Silver Spring (in
Burtonsville). These days I live in Northern Virginia.

When I was a kid, Burtonsville was "country". Don't even think that 29 went
all the way out there. Changed fast, though. (And getting a driver's
license helped, too!)

Some days I may feel like I'm 93, but I'm convinced that I'm still a
teenager. That fat, wrinkly old man that I see in my bathroom mirror
is some sort cruel hallucination.

No wrinkles here, but the gray in my goatee -- caused SOLELY by chlorine in
my hot tub, dammit -- gives me away.

OK, time's a-wastin' (and so am I), Bill S.

Old July 20th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
George Conklin

"Pat" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am not justifying cross-posting, but part of the problem is that the
OP cross-posted the latest edition of "bikes are better than cars" to
at least one planning group. Personally, I think it's a boring subject
by city-centered cyclists, but what can you do....

Well, planners are URBAN planners, and have shown for years they hate the
suburbs and ignore the rural areas, except as sources of water and places to
put garbage.

Old July 20th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Pat

Ouch, but probably right on the money.

The problem with the whole bicycle thing goes well beyond that. They
define "urban" to be such a small area that it isn't funny -- just
places like NYC, Chicago, LA, etc. and NOT places like Buffalo, or
Cleveland, or any other city. So within their very limited confines,
their arguement makes some sense, but outside of those small areas they
fall apart. If you build some sort of rail-to-trail in NYC, it might
make a lot of sense. But in Buffalo it becomes just one for thing you
have to maintain.

I live in a city in NY and it is technically "urban" using the Census
def. I live relatively close to your high school. Still, our high
school is farther away than the entire length of Manhatten.

It is a different world to compare then comparing those high-density
urban areas with the rest of the country.

Actually, I don't mind if people want to ride their bikes to work. In
fact, I have a lot of respect for them. What I mind is when people say
that it is the only way one should commute and they don't take into
account that not all of the world lives as they do.

We have a large state park near us. Sometimes I think that people in
this community are just "local character" to the people from cities who
come to stay in the part for a week. The don't realize that people are
here year-round while they go back their cities.

George Conklin wrote:
oups.com...

Old July 20th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
George Conklin

"Pat" wrote in message
ups.com...

George Conklin wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

True. But even in NYC there is not much bike riding. People want a bus
stop on every corner and object to a 2-block walk to a subway stop. The
city is the home of mass transit, not mass bicycle riders, except maybe in
places like India and China. In Dharwar and New Delhi, we rode bicycles,
but with the family we went on tongas (horse-driven carriages).