Reckless Endangerment and Violence by Mountain bikers

Old July 18th 06, 04:44 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default Reckless Endangerment and Violence by Mountain bikers

Dear Commissioners:

At the request of Sharon [MacNamee, the new director of Marin County
Open Space Department], I am writing to inform you of an incident that
occurred in the early afternoon of Tuesday, July 11 at the Indian
Valley Open Space Preserve. At the crest of a hill on the Buzzard Burn
Trail, which is open to hikers and equestrians only, a bicyclist
traveling at a high rate of speed spooked two horses coming from the
opposite direction. The equestrians were thrown from their mounts.
They sustained injuries and were transported to the hospital. Open
Space rangers and the Novato Fire Protection District responded to the
incident. When the rangers arrived, no bicyclist was at the scene.

Sharon has already informed the Board. The District’s Deputy Sheriff
is investigating the incident.

Ronald Miska

Assistant General Manager

Subject: Mt. Tam State Park - Coast View - Assault

July 12, 2006

Laura Wong, Supervising Ranger
Mt. Tamalpais State Park
Mill Valley, CA

Ms. Wong,

I regret having to start both of our mornings with a report of
unpleasantness on State Park trails.

I went for an extended training run yesterday (Tuesday, July 11, 2006)
in the Redwood Creek watershed area. At about 6 PM, as I descended the
Coast View trail toward the Heather Cutoff junction, I was overtaken
by a solo mountain bike rider. As he got nearer, I ran
on, staying right and repeatedly waved him by on the left. Rather than
passing, he very rudely demanded that I "get out of the trail."
I waved him by once more, he then passed, cut in abruptly, and stopped
so suddenly that I fell over his rear wheel, sending both of us
sprawling. He got up, grabbed his bike, and appeared to be about to
throw it at me. Several times he held his bike over his head and
threatened me by swinging it, once within inches of my face. This
cyclist was fully equipped and half my age.

Some words were exchanged and I continued to run toward Muir Beach,
not wanting to engage a crazy person. The cyclist did not re-appear
for a time, then rode
rapidly up behind me. I assumed I would hear an insult or two, then
he'd be gone by. Instead, I was hit blind on the right temple with
either a rock, or some stick or object swung very hard. The cyclist
stopped as I turned and seemed as if wanting a physical conflict.
(Which it actually already was.) I pulled out my small camera to
document my assailant, and he immediately rode off.

Unfortunately, I was not able to get a picture. Subject was white
male, 30-ish, clean shaven, pale complexion, medium height and weight.
Wore dark grey Bell helmet, orange and white "Led Zeppelin" jersey.
Rode grey and red Trek bike, disk brakes and full suspension.

The deep gash I got on the side of my face bled profusely for the hour
it took me to get back to my car on Panoramic Highway-- it should
really have received a few stitches, but I'm self-insured-- and
don't make my living with my face. Had I turned to look just prior to
the moment I was hit, I certainly would have suffered serious eye
injury.

I realize that you can do little about an unidentified individual's
unwitnessed behavior. But I do hope State Parks will work to
discourage use of its trails by aggressive and unsocialized cyclists.
In particular, there seems to be an attitude of many cyclists on the
Coast View that it is "their" trail, and that all other users are mere
"guests" who must yield to descending bikes.

I would also ask that State Parks join with other agencies and
organizations to impose a permit arrangement for cyclists. Permitting
would assist in identification, enforcement and encourage better
behavior. And I believe that Parks should reconsider the problems
that arise when a broad multiple use road is condensed into a narrow
multiple use path.

Thanks for your time,

[name withheld to protect them from harassment by mountain bikers]
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old July 18th 06, 05:30 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
S Curtiss

Your science is wrong again. Two rogue off-road cyclists act irresponsibly
or illegally so your less than brilliant conclusion is that all off-road
cylists must also.
That isn't even science... It is your never-ending search for any off-color
incident involving off-road cycling for the sole purpose of tainting
everyone involved.

If these two incidents represent the whole of off-road cycling (Your logic
as presented) then:
1. A Pennsylvania man was killed when a drive shaft from a dump truck
traveling in the opposite direction dislodged, crossed the jersey barrier,
then flew through Zeglin's windshield and struck him in the head.
Therefore - All dump trucks will drop the driveshaft and strike oncoming
traffic.
2. In Donegal Town, Ireland, a woman was injured when a car fell on her from
the second story of a parking garage.
Therefore - All cars parked the second story of a parking garage will fall
on passing pedestrians.
3. In Houston, 16-year-old boy was charged with shooting his father because
he mistakenly believed Dad was beating up Mom when it was actually a case of
robust marital intercourse that was happening.
Therefore all marital intercourse will result in death by shooting.

Old July 18th 06, 08:13 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
cc

Mike Vandeman wrote:
Dear Commissioners:

That's what they get for
riding horses on OUR TRAILS !
The supply of idiot horseback
riders is endless. . .
Old July 18th 06, 09:29 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,ca.environment
cc

Eugene Miya wrote:
In article , cc wrote:
That's what they get for
riding horses on OUR TRAILS !
The supply of idiot horseback
riders is endless. . .

You didn't add rec.equestrian to the cross post.
Actually, a good percentage of them would like agree with you.

Yeah, my bad. You're down on the farm, aren't you? I see you on the
outdoor list sometimes.

Old July 18th 06, 10:25 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
jason

Mike Vandeman wrote:

[name withheld to protect them from harassment by mountain bikers]

Do you have permission from the parties involved to post this mikey? Oh
and at least you aren't overly generalizing or anything. Heck if we use
your logic all hikers and environmentalist are liars and frauds with
delusions of grandeur.

Old July 18th 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
di

"S Curtiss" wrote in message
[...]

Curtis nailed you with this reply Mikey, all you will be able to come back
is with something stupid like "Duh" or "Liar"

Old July 18th 06, 11:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
JP

An Equestrian attempted to run me down while I was RUNNING on a shared
path.
I had to jump to the side of the trail to avoid being run down.

If you can't control the animal stay off the trails. Period.

Old July 19th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment,rec.equestrian
G.T.

"JP" wrote in message news:34dvg.19$Zf.5@trndny07...
An Equestrian attempted to run me down while I was RUNNING on a shared
path.

Happens to me almost EVERY SINGLE TIME I do an after work hike in Griffith
Park. Equestrians should be limited to private property. Mountain bikers
are a breath of fresh air compared to equestrians.

Greg
--
"What have you got in that paper bag?
Is it a dose of Vitamin C?

Old July 19th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment,rec.equestrian
Joyce Reynolds-Ward

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:06:33 -0700, "G.T."
wrote:

"JP" wrote in message news:34dvg.19$Zf.5@trndny07...
An Equestrian attempted to run me down while I was RUNNING on a shared
path.

Happens to me almost EVERY SINGLE TIME I do an after work hike in Griffith
Park. Equestrians should be limited to private property. Mountain bikers
are a breath of fresh air compared to equestrians.

Hmmm.

Looks like the bikers are getting bored and trolling again.

jrw