Adventure Cycling Maps SUCK!

Old August 18th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
NYC XYZ

Default Adventure Cycling Maps SUCK!

I've not been on any over-night tours, sure.

Do I need to get burned before I say Acme-brand fire extinguishers
suck?

I'll be riding to Philly from NYC later this year. Next year, to DC
and, depending, Florida.

I'll be on my way soon enough. Just thought these Adventure Cycling
maps were a big deal.

They're just the only deal going, is all.

R Brickston wrote:

You gave yourself away; you've never been on a real bike trip.

Old August 18th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
NYC XYZ

Edward Dolan wrote:

A real bike trip is only 50% enjoyment. The other 50% is pure aggravation.

Hehe, no wonder they don't mind 3x4-inch map panels!

This is why tourists pay the big bucks to others to look after them. No one
should ever go on a bike trip unless you have a sense of adventure.

That's me! I'm up for adventure...intelligent adventure...was hoping
these AC maps would help in that regard...as it is, they're better than
nothing -- but gosh, that's a pretty low standard....

It is
mostly something that only a young person should do. By the time you are my
age you are permanently ****ed off at just about everything and are no
longer fit for travel of any kind.

Who'd ever have thought Saint Ed was actually the original hell on
wheels!

All you need is a fine young female thing to ride...with you! She'll
make the stars seem bright as fireworks at night, and make them appear
like multiple suns during the day! May I suggest a latina? I have the
map to their hearts....

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old August 18th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Steven M. O'Neill

NYC XYZ wrote:
All you need is a fine young female thing to ride...with you! She'll
make the stars seem bright as fireworks at night, and make them appear
like multiple suns during the day! May I suggest a latina? I have the
map to their hearts....

But is it waterproof?

--
Steven O'Neill
Brooklyn, NY
Old August 18th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
NYC XYZ

Steven M. O'Neill wrote:

But is it waterproof?

--
Steven O'Neill
Brooklyn, NY

It's foolproof! Treat a queen like a whore and a whore like a
queen....

Oh, here's another helpful thing for her on long journeys:

http://www.exalte.com/SexToysArticle/151

Old August 18th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
R Brickston

On 18 Aug 2006 07:50:52 -0700, "NYC XYZ"
wrote:

I've not been on any over-night tours, sure.

Do I need to get burned before I say Acme-brand fire extinguishers
suck?

I'll be riding to Philly from NYC later this year. Next year, to DC
and, depending, Florida.

I doubt then that you'll be "just remember[ing] key junctions and
turns."

my time looking around

Old August 18th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
R Brickston

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 03:53:31 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

"R Brickston" rb20170REMOVE.yahoo.com@ wrote in message
.. .
On 17 Aug 2006 14:03:08 -0700, "NYC XYZ"
wrote:

[...]
That's another thing -- you people actually mount a goddamned map on
your handlebars. Me, I just remember key junctions and turns. Spend
my time looking around, you know?

You gave yourself away; you've never been on a real bike trip.

A real bike trip is only 50% enjoyment. The other 50% is pure aggravation.

True for some, but with experience you can cut that aggravation down
to 10 or 20%. Most of this reduction, at least in my case, comes down
to reducing what you carry, having the proper equipment and
researching the trip before you hit the road.

This is why tourists pay the big bucks to others to look after them. No one
should ever go on a bike trip unless you have a sense of adventure. It is

Old August 18th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
NYC XYZ

R Brickston wrote:

I doubt then that you'll be "just remember[ing] key junctions and
turns."

I have a good memory. I study the route beforehand. I even scour the
web for pictures! That's what I'm currently doing, reading up on
others' similar rides, then checking out their routes, then looking for
images of the locales, especially critical junctions and turns.

Also, I must say, I don't mind getting a bit lost. At least during my
one-day trips (which can be as long as fifteen hours) -- I know of the
main route, and bear in mind that it's on my right, say, and just kinda
zig-zag along as desired. I've never understood cue sheets and other
such items on the handlebar. Except a really well-programmed GPS
system, I don't see how people spend their time consulting the map.

It's supposed to be an adventure! Just remember the critical stuff --
the dead-ends and such -- but otherwise, you really can't get "lost."

Old August 18th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
R Brickston

On 18 Aug 2006 12:07:16 -0700, "NYC XYZ"
wrote:

R Brickston wrote:

[...]

How could you possibly know any of what you need to do or not to do?
By your own admission, you've never been on a long range bicycle tour.
Old August 19th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Thomas Wentworth

I have used them once or twice.. they were ok. I have done numerous tours
without them as well.

I doubt I would use them again. Not because of the paper or anything ,,
just personal preference.

------------------------
"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
ups.com...

They're printed on plain paper! And they're so small, and packed with
somewhat superfluous info (who the hell cares about restaurants along
the way, really).

Just disappointed. They should be laminated, at the least, or printed
on sturdier paper -- this is for touring, after all! Also, they really
should be bigger -- perhaps better as a spiral-bound book? And more
comprehensive -- I find googlemaps more useful!

Old August 19th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,nyc.bicycles,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Mike Kruger

"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
ups.com...

Steven M. O'Neill wrote:

But is it waterproof?

--
Steven O'Neill
Brooklyn, NY

It's foolproof! Treat a queen like a whore and a whore like a
queen....

Oh, here's another helpful thing for her on long journeys:

http://www.exalte.com/SexToysArticle/151

On-topic troll wasn't successful enough so you move to this?