Troll posts to various cycling newsgroups

Old September 27th 06, 08:12 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Alan Erskine

Default Troll posts to various cycling newsgroups

"Travis" wrote in message
ups.com...

I envisage something like a Wikipedia type system where the community
as a whole work to keep the system clean of vandalism.

Does anyone think this is a good idea?

(If so, please say so in this thread, and I'll point this out to my
skeptical web developer friend who might be tempted to knock together
some kind of beta...)

I like the latter part of it; if ISP's were more responsible/accountable,
trolls like ED would be less tolerated.

In addition, if usenet (newsgroups) were dying out, why are so many new
groups being created? The aus. groups don't grow very quickly, but they are
getting more and more traffic.

--
Alan Erskine

Old September 27th 06, 08:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Alan Erskine

"SMS" wrote in message
The chance of any ISP doing anything is about zero.

If people complain enmass, the ISP's will act. It's only when a few people
(or none) complain that ISP's don't do anything.

--
Alan Erskine

Old September 27th 06, 08:31 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"di" wrote in message news:8mwSg.5634$Go3.268@dukeread05...

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:doqdnT90KYDhFofYnZ2dnUVZ_omdnZ2d@prairiewave. com...

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
oups.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]

All anyone has to do is read what goes on on any newsgroup. I can't think
of anything that is not acceptable. Most trolls are just spammers - but
the defining characteristic of all trolls is their idiocy. I have never
known a troll who was not an idiot. The only thing more pathetic than a
troll is a stalker. Anyone recognize anyone here?

You are describing yourself, Troll, idiocy, pathetic, stalker they all
fit.

Nope, Ed Gin was a troll and Jim McNamara is a stalker. I am merely Great -
and a Great Saint to boot.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old September 27th 06, 08:34 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
oups.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:
"JimmyMac" wrote in message
oups.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
Anyone can post to whatever newsgroup they want and say anything they
want
within reason.

Imperceptive, you often misinterpret much of what you read. Allow me
to suggest that you review your ISP's Terms of Agreement, Acceptable
Use Policy. You will discover that should your Usenet newsgroup
behavior be brought to their attention and should your ISP decide to
enforce their policy and take action, you will soon learn just how much
you opinions are valued in the real world.

All anyone has to do is read what goes on on any newsgroup. I can't think
of
anything that is not acceptable. Most trolls are just spammers - but the
defining characteristic of all trolls is their idiocy. I have never known
troll who was not an idiot.

Dont' be so hard on yourself. What you need to read is your ISP's
Terms of Agreement, Acceptable Use Policy so that you will understand
that you are in violation. - Jim McNamara

You worry about your ISP, stalker, and I will worry abut my ISP - if and
when I ever need to.

Old September 27th 06, 08:45 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"Travis" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]
On this topic, I have a friend who is a web developer who is always
looking for ideas to get into. I pitched an idea to him for creating a
troll-free usenet gateway but he isn't convinced of its merits because
he thinks Usenet is a dying medium.

Your friend is quite right. Usenet is dying and will soon be as dead as the
proverbial doornail. Just peruse some newsgroups and you will see what I
mean. Nothing but idiots, morons and imbeciles everywhere you look.

My idea was basically that we'd create a Usenet gateway not unlike
Google Groups, but with a twist.

We'd start by appointing ourselves and a few trustworthy people from
the newsgroups we post to as moderators.

The moderators don't (and can't) actually block troll posts from going
out to Usenet, but they are blocked from our site. People reading
through our site will be given various options including the ability to
view the newsgroups in fully filtered, flagged and unfiltered states.

But the interestign bit is that anyone can be a moderator. Moderators
vote in new moderators, if there aren't enough moderators in a
newsgroup (say, 5) to have an internal vote, random moderators from
other newsgroups (especially related ones) would be randomly drafted in
by the system to review the wannabe's posting record and establish that
they're a good guy or a troll.

Similarly, moderators could be voted out if they turn out to abuse
their power (for instance if a troll were somehow able to get himself
granted moderator status and then went about being a nuisance.)

A system of seniority (based on time as a moderator and some sort of
voting system) would measure the trust levels of each moderator and
could be a modifier in votes, i.e. highly trusted moderator's votes
would count for more than a recently appointed moderator.

I envisage something like a Wikipedia type system where the community
as a whole work to keep the system clean of vandalism.

Does anyone think this is a good idea?

(If so, please say so in this thread, and I'll point this out to my
skeptical web developer friend who might be tempted to knock together
some kind of beta...)

Travis

It will never work because it is way too much work. All of us who post to
Usenet are lazy as hell. And what would be the end result of all that work?
A group so dull that everyone would want to kill themselves. Nay, you are
better off with a few live wires like myself who will keep you on your toes.
Actually, I should be charging something for my many services to the world
of Usenet.

Old September 27th 06, 08:56 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"SMS" wrote in message
[...]
Most of us don't see his posts because he's been kill-filed. Outlook,
Thunderbird, and I presume most other non-web based newsgroup readers,
make it easy to filter out people like Ed.

No one in their right mind would ever bother to read a dullard like SMS.
Thank god he has kill-filed me. Now I can say what I want about him without
having to put up with his responses. That is the chief drawback from the
kill-filers perspective. I know what he is up to but he does not know what I
am up to. But it is only cowards who kill-file. Such girlie men should not
be on Usenet in the first place.

Old September 27th 06, 09:35 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
"Travis" wrote in message
ups.com...

I envisage something like a Wikipedia type system where the community
as a whole work to keep the system clean of vandalism.

Does anyone think this is a good idea?

(If so, please say so in this thread, and I'll point this out to my
skeptical web developer friend who might be tempted to knock together
some kind of beta...)

I like the latter part of it; if ISP's were more responsible/accountable,
trolls like ED would be less tolerated.

The ISP's know exactly what they are doing. They know that the Internet is
just chock full of crap and it is not their job to clean it up.

In addition, if usenet (newsgroups) were dying out, why are so many new
groups being created? The aus. groups don't grow very quickly, but they
are
getting more and more traffic.

Quantity is not the same thing as quality nor does traffic count for much
either. What is happening is that anyone with any intelligence has already
left Usenet and it is only idiots like Alan Erskine that are left. All
newsgroups get dumber and dumber with every passing year.

Old September 27th 06, 09:39 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

"SMS" wrote in message
The chance of any ISP doing anything is about zero.

If people complain enmass, the ISP's will act. It's only when a few
people
(or none) complain that ISP's don't do anything.

Who is this asshole anyway? Since he is doing nothing but stalking and
posting repetitive messages, maybe he should be reported to his ISP!

Old September 27th 06, 10:13 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
SMS

Travis wrote:

I envisage something like a Wikipedia type system where the community
as a whole work to keep the system clean of vandalism.

The problem with Wikipedia is precisely the vandalism. I.e., I had
extensive information up there regarding bicycle lighting. It was
repeatedly vandalized, I repeatedly fixed it. Eventually I gave up on
trying to keep the data correct. The people vandalizing it were some of
the same problem people on the Usenet bicycle groups.

It wasn't a big deal to me, but I hate seeing the trolls get away with
spreading their misinformation. On Google, my web site on bicycle
lighting is the number two site listed when you Google "Bicycle
Lighting" and number one for "build bicycle lighting" or "bicycle
lighting facts."

It's too bad that a few people abuse Wikipedia to promote their own
agenda. You're going to have the same problem with a Usenet gateway.

I tried to Google Groups script for filtering, and it works okay, but
you only get to add people to the filter list when you're viewing the
whole group (as opposed to when viewing a thread). When you view the
thread, the posts by the filtered people are still there.
Old September 27th 06, 11:23 PM posted to aus.bicycle,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc

Edward Dolan wrote:
"di" wrote in message news:8mwSg.5634$Go3.268@dukeread05...

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:doqdnT90KYDhFofYnZ2dnUVZ_omdnZ2d@prairiewave. com...

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
oups.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

All anyone has to do is read what goes on on any newsgroup. I can't think
of anything that is not acceptable. Most trolls are just spammers - but
the defining characteristic of all trolls is their idiocy. I have never
known a troll who was not an idiot. The only thing more pathetic than a
troll is a stalker. Anyone recognize anyone here?

You are describing yourself, Troll, idiocy, pathetic, stalker they all
fit.

Nope, Ed Gin was a troll and Jim McNamara is a stalker. I am merely Great -
and a Great Saint to boot.

Ed Gin has nothing to do with this discussion. You are ARBRs resident
TROLL ... a megalomaniac filled with your own self-importnace. You
have only yourself to blame for the "stalking" that you have fallen
victim of from your many adversaries. You intentionally go trolling
for fights. When you encounter a tenacious, formidable adversary, and
find yourself hopelessly embroiled in an embarrassing no-win
cyber-skirmish, in desperation, you move to disencumber yourself by
seeking to discredit and dismiss your adversary by labeling him or her
as a stalker. This thinly disguised ploy of yours has failed countless
times. If you really want to escape your self-inflicted dilemma, then
turn tail, crawl on out of here. Return to the rock that you slithered
out from under.

Jim McNamara