new electric assist cycling technology

Old January 2nd 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,aus.bicycle
G.fried

Default new electric assist cycling technology

Hello,

we are investigating a new type of electric assist bicycle technology and are currently collecting the requirements. The project hyperbike.cc is a feasibility study contracted by the Austrian ministry for transport, technology and innovation. We invite you to help us to help you.
We would appreciate very much if you could fill in our on-line questionnaire at

http://www.hyperbike.cc/Vorlage.phtml?id=716

After answering tips about cycling are displayed.

many thanks for your time

best regards

Gerfried

Old January 2nd 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,aus.bicycle
DougC

G.fried wrote:
Hello,

we are investigating a new type of electric assist bicycle technology
and are currently collecting the requirements. ....

I got into bicycle motors a bit recently.

At one point I ran some figures comparing gasoline and electric setups;
of the two (popular products) I compared, the electric cost over twice
as much and had a cost-per-mile that was five to ten times as high as
the gasoline engine setup. This was using U.S. fuel prices, Europe is
2-3X as high but still you can see the problem.

Advocates of electrics play yup the low-pollution aspects but that is
very debatable over the long term, considering the battery production
and disposal requirements.

There are a few situations where gasoline engines aren't practical--such
as when you desire silent operation, or for a physically-disabled rider
who wants "pushbutton power",,, but judged on a cost basis alone,
electrics still lose badly.
~
Old January 2nd 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,aus.bicycle
Bill Z.

DougC writes:

G.fried wrote:
Hello,
we are investigating a new type of electric assist bicycle
technology and are currently collecting the requirements. ....

I got into bicycle motors a bit recently.

At one point I ran some figures comparing gasoline and electric
setups; of the two (popular products) I compared, the electric cost
over twice as much and had a cost-per-mile that was five to ten times
as high as the gasoline engine setup. This was using U.S. fuel prices,
Europe is 2-3X as high but still you can see the problem.

Advocates of electrics play yup the low-pollution aspects but that is
very debatable over the long term, considering the battery production
and disposal requirements.

For longer trips around here, you can carry an electric bicycle on a
train but not a gasoline-powered one. It is primarily a safety issue:
you don't want passengers in a compartment with highly flamable
materials such as gasoline in case of a train accident.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
Old January 2nd 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,aus.bicycle
Steve Watkin

Find it hard to beleive that my Lafree costs more to run than even the
smallest I.C. bike

SW

Old January 2nd 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,aus.bicycle
nash

"DougC" wrote in message
G.fried wrote:
[...]

If parking lots gave you free power up all day it would be cost efficient.
That is what they are doing now in the States. Not sure where but for a
parking lot company it would be a good idea.

Old January 2nd 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

G.fried wrote:
Hello,

we are investigating a new type of electric assist bicycle technology
and are currently collecting the requirements. The project
hyperbike.cc is a feasibility study contracted by the Austrian
ministry for transport, technology and innovation. We invite you to
help us to help you. We would appreciate very much if you could fill
in our on-line questionnaire at

http://www.hyperbike.cc/Vorlage.phtml?id=716

After answering tips about cycling are displayed.

Love this question
When riding an electric bicycle, what problem have you experienced most
often?

Unmantling of parts when driving

Theo

Old January 3rd 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,aus.bicycle
Terryc

Steve Watkin wrote:
Find it hard to beleive that my Lafree costs more to run than even the
smallest I.C. bike

IC is subsidised widely by society, plus there are tons of small IC
motors around (economy of scale)
Old January 3rd 07, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,aus.bicycle
Ron Ruff

I'm all for making travel safe for bicycles and light electric
vehicles, which I believe can happily coexist on dedicated paths and
large shoulders on regular roads. It is a mistake though, to combine
electric and pedal power in the same vehicle. A decent cyclist doesn't
need the assist or added weight, and someone who wants electric power
doesn't need the extra complexity of hardware for pedaling.

A good electric scooter will weigh ~200lb and have a range of 30 miles
@ 30mph. No reason to put cranks and derailures an something like that.
And if you reduce the weight by making the batteries and motor smaller,
you might as well do away with power assist altogether.

Old January 3rd 07, 07:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,aus.bicycle
Bill Baka

nash wrote:
"DougC" wrote in message
G.fried wrote:
[...]

One word here.
Solar!
Take a panel, even a fold up, and have a way to mount it when you are in
the building. Not for everywhere, since some thieve might actually
realize the panel costs more than most bikes, Treks excluded.
Bill Baka
Old January 3rd 07, 11:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,aus.bicycle
DougC

Steve Watkin wrote:
Find it hard to beleive that my Lafree costs more to run than even the
smallest I.C. bike

SW

Tell us, how many miles does it go on one charge, how many discharge
cycles does the battery withstand before needing replacement, and how
much do replacement batteries cost (in US$)?....
~

new electric assist cycling technology G.fried General 105 January 11th 07 10:33 AM
new cycling technology G.fried UK 28 December 23rd 06 09:34 AM
Power assist? Peter Amey UK 1 May 5th 05 08:46 PM
FS - EZ-3 SX With Power Assist Robert Kline Recumbent Biking 0 March 27th 05 11:43 PM
Electric assist bikes seagrass Australia 8 August 23rd 03 03:16 AM