Ride an SUB not an SUV

Old March 9th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Matthew T. Russotto

Default Ride an BUS not an SUV

In article ,
Bill Baka wrote:

The difference is more than made up for when living in town. Spend more
on the house and less (maybe nothing) on new cars, gas, insurance, etc.

Nope. Provided you stick to decent neighborhoods and similar square
footage, you can't make up the difference. The money you save on
those things is of a smaller order of magnitude than the extra money
you spend on the house. Add in the extra property and other taxes
you'll pay in the city and things get even worse.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old March 9th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Matthew T. Russotto

Default THE REVOLUTION WILL

In article ,
Bill Baka wrote:

Well, at least someone gets my point. If you can afford an SUV and the
gas it sucks then you can damn well afford an econo-box for those little
trips.

The idea that if you can afford X, you can also afford X + Y, is
pretty silly.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old March 9th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
nash

Default Ride an SUB not an SUV

"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote in message
t...
In article
,
Doc O'Leary wrote:
In article ,
(Matthew T. Russotto) wrote:

In article ,
Bill Baka wrote:

Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big time.

Only if nobody rides them.

But you have to have the near-empty runs or the system becomes
less useful overall -- and as a result ridership goes down even on the
popular runs.

No, that's just another failure of urban planning.

It's a failure of urban planning to micromanage every aspect of
everyone's lives so they can keep the buses full, which is a good thing.

Modern technology could easily be used to help schedule the frequency
and size of transit vehicles. It should even be possible possible to
provide door-to-door service for the same cost per mile as fuel alone
(say around $3 for 25 miles), but somehow city planners got focussed
on moving the cars instead of the people.

Is this like Dave Head's fantasy train?
--
There's no such thing as a free lunch, but certain accounting practices
can

Actually, they use to do that in Vancouver in my Grandmother's days.

Old March 9th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Daryl Hunt

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
.. .
Pat wrote:
If you like electric blankets, you'll LOVE the electric matress pads.
They're wonderful. The heat comes up from the bottom. Not too
expensive, but absolutely wonderful.

Hah,
A reason to shop for something new. I could be a sandwich between two
electric blankets and just set the heater to 48, not 58.
Getting up to take a leak might be a bummer though.
Bill Baka

I can think of two better blankets to be in the middle of. One would be
Heather Locklear and the other would be countless other Starlets that are
out there. But, hey, I can dream, right?

It has removed 4445 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Old March 9th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
nash

"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Bill Baka wrote:

Well, at least someone gets my point. If you can afford an SUV and the
gas it sucks then you can damn well afford an econo-box for those little
trips.

The idea that if you can afford X, you can also afford X + Y, is
pretty silly.
--
There's no such thing as a free lunch, but certain accounting practices
can
result in a fully-depreciated one.

half a point each.
X plus gas = X minus gas + Y

Old March 9th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default another T-shirt

On Mar 8, 8:01 pm, "George Conklin"
wrote:

No reason to hide behind tinted windows like SUV owners do...

Look, SUV's are not selfish if you use them because of a need. I haul
4x8 lumber, 10 foot pipe segments AND have a drive in the mountains with a
30 degree slope which requires a 4x4 in wet weather. But I also have a baby
Benz diesel which easily gets 35 mpg.

You got tinted windows? Then you got nothing to hide. Besides you use
it for work. They should be required a special commercial license for
real hauling --or else tax the fakes into smaller, smarter cars.

Old March 9th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Matthew T. Russotto

Bill Baka wrote:

Well, at least someone gets my point. If you can afford an SUV and the
gas it sucks then you can damn well afford an econo-box for those little
trips.

The idea that if you can afford X, you can also afford X + Y, is
pretty silly.

half a point each.
X plus gas = X minus gas + Y

Unfortunately, the difference in the cost of gas for driving the SUV
short trips as opposed to driving the econobox small trips is very
small, much less than Y, so again, it doesn't work.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old March 9th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

On Mar 8, 8:17 pm, Bill Baka wrote:

A/C as it is presently made is purely for the profit of the
manufacturer. They can be made twice as efficient, since I worked out
the numbers, and I am sure that most A/C design engineers know it too,
but are not allowed to innovate that much. Right now they are just built
to absolute minimum costs and just barely above the government's minimum
legal SEER efficiency requirement.
Bill Baka

There's always someone standing on the way of progress and evolution.
That's the HUNGRY DINOSAUR. In the following case, it's the building
owners...

"Nothing is stopping building owners from making investment in plants
and equipment except they don't want to do it," said Peter Fusaro,
founder of Global Change Associates, an environmental consultancy.

"There's just no people pushing it. Politicians make platitudes about
energy efficiency but who's going to make the investment?"

U.S. struggles to build green homes

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Change a light bulb and stop a war. Build smarter
homes and keep the seas from rising.

These are the kinds of arguments U.S. environmentalists use to promote
their cause. Others say forget "save the planet," Americans respond
better to "save some money."

Regardless of the sales pitch, energy efficiency is an opportunity
that Americans shun, as less than 5 percent of the world's population
consumes almost 25 percent of global oil production.

While gas-guzzling vehicles draw the most criticism, homes and
businesses consume even more energy -- 40 percent of the U.S. total in
2005 versus 28 percent for transportation -- and provide the biggest
potential for savings.

The U.S. Green Building Council says structures built to its standards
can cut energy usage 20 to 80 percent using available technologies
such as compact fluorescent lighting and high-efficiency building
shells and water heating.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070309/...nt_building_dc

Old March 9th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

--Also many places don't have showers at work, so what do you do then?
Need to look and address the BIG picture.--

Sure. We have to make America bicycle friendly in every way. I hope
the dinosaur cooperates. Or will he go into a rage about the small
competition?

I'm already riding my bike in traffic with the T-shirt on (http://
http://www.zazzle.com/donquijote1954...23967591425985) and I'm
still alive. Is that a good sign???