Ride an SUB not an SUV

Old March 9th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Curtis L. Russell

Default THE REVOLUTION WILL

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 19:45:06 GMT, "nash"
wrote:

half a point each.
X plus gas = X minus gas + Y

Do the math. If you drive 20,000 miles per year and buy a 45 mpg
vehicle for $ 15,000 and use if for half of that mileage instead of,
say, a 12 mpg vehicle you already own (sort of the description of the
situation), you won't pay for the cost of the extra vehicle in six
years - if gas in the U.S. goes to $ 4.00 per gallon. That's ignoring
the cost of additional insurance and storage space.

At $ 3.00, it is more like 8 years.

And no, I'm not trying to justify my SUV - we own two Priuses and have
since before the last gasoline rise. Its just that your math won't
work.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old March 9th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

On Mar 8, 8:25 pm, Bill Baka wrote:
To sum it up: THE REVOLUTION 1) WILL EMPHASIZE MULTIMODAL
TRANSPORTATION, 2) PROMOTE NEW TECHNOLOGIES AND 3) WILL PENALIZE THE
BIG AND STUPID.

Well, at least someone gets my point. If you can afford an SUV and the
gas it sucks then you can damn well afford an econo-box for those little
trips. Too bad there isn't a law that says a cop can give you a
pollution ticket if he spots you driving one block for a pack of smokes
or some other silly excuse to drive the tank, er, SUV.
Bill Baka- Hide quoted text -

They want to chase away the bikes not the SUVs. Thirsty behemoths
promote more the 19th century economy --and Chavez and terrorism, etc.

Old March 9th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
nash

wrote:

half a point each.
X plus gas = X minus gas + Y

Do the math. If you drive 20,000 miles per year and buy a 45 mpg
vehicle for $ 15,000 and use if for half of that mileage instead of,
say, a 12 mpg vehicle you already own (sort of the description of the
situation), you won't pay for the cost of the extra vehicle in six
years - if gas in the U.S. goes to $ 4.00 per gallon. That's ignoring
the cost of additional insurance and storage space.

At $ 3.00, it is more like 8 years.

And no, I'm not trying to justify my SUV - we own two Priuses and have
since before the last gasoline rise. Its just that your math won't
work.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

If you stopped driving an SUV to work which is more like 80% of travel it
does work.

Old March 9th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
nash

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
ps.com...
--Also many places don't have showers at work, so what do you do then?
Need to look and address the BIG picture.--

Sure. We have to make America bicycle friendly in every way. I hope
the dinosaur cooperates. Or will he go into a rage about the small
competition?

I'm already riding my bike in traffic with the T-shirt on (http://
http://www.zazzle.com/donquijote1954...23967591425985) and I'm
still alive. Is that a good sign???

Asking for a gang rape if your a female

Old March 9th 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Curtis L. Russell

Default Ride an SUB not an SUV

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 01:17:47 GMT, Bill Baka wrote:

That's exactly my point. AC allowed the development of California
and Arkansas and then people pitch about the energy usage an
pollution.

Quite true. But now that people are here, and Arizona (my sister), and
New Mexico, Texas. etc., they aren't going to move just for the energy
savings.

Give me a break - I lived in Texas, Arkansas, and Kansas when the only
places air conditioned were the banks, the movie houses and the 5 and
dimes. And the autos weren't air conditioned either.

People got along fine with far less energy draining house fans (as in,
really big exhaust fans that pulled air throughout the house, slamming
doors in the process) and the fans that pulled air over water. And the
houses were regional designs focused on cooling. People spent time on
porches with shade. They lived, they thrived, they did fine.

No, Little Rock, Fort Worth, Dallas, and Southern California did not
spring up in the 1960s. What was big just got bigger.

Air conditioning allowed people to spend all day inside with their
windows shut. That isn't the only way you can live.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old March 9th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Curtis L. Russell

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 20:14:56 GMT, "nash"
wrote:

If you stopped driving an SUV to work which is more like 80% of travel it
does work.

No, it moves the pay back to more than four years, not counting that
additional insurance et al. If you already have the SUV, no it won't
make the difference. And it assumes 12 mpg, which is a bit low for a
smaller SUV or a big six banger pick up truck, say your basic Ford
extended cab white commodity PU, with an overdrive. That would take
well over five years with gas at $ 3.00/gallon.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old March 9th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

On Mar 9, 3:16 pm, "nash" wrote:

I'm already riding my bike in traffic with the T-shirt on (http://
http://www.zazzle.com/donquijote1954...23967591425985) and I'm
still alive. Is that a good sign???

Asking for a gang rape if your a female

I'm waiting for the females to rape me.

And while on the subject, why would it be that many women drive SUVs?
Would that be testosterone or the equivalent of this...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ation_Book.jpg

Old March 9th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
nash

wrote:

If you stopped driving an SUV to work which is more like 80% of travel it
does work.

No, it moves the pay back to more than four years, not counting that
additional insurance et al. If you already have the SUV, no it won't
make the difference. And it assumes 12 mpg, which is a bit low for a
smaller SUV or a big six banger pick up truck, say your basic Ford
extended cab white commodity PU, with an overdrive. That would take
well over five years with gas at $ 3.00/gallon.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

You forget, insurance on a pleasure vehicle or recreation which is what it
is, is alot less than for going to work. Maybe 1/5 lets say. They are
using the wrong tool for the job hahahahahah

Old March 9th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
nash

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 9, 3:16 pm, "nash" wrote:

I'm already riding my bike in traffic with the T-shirt on (http://
http://www.zazzle.com/donquijote1954...23967591425985) and I'm
still alive. Is that a good sign???

Asking for a gang rape if your a female

I'm waiting for the females to rape me.

And while on the subject, why would it be that many women drive SUVs?
Would that be testosterone or the equivalent of this...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ation_Book.jpg

That would mean males needing loving domination and the girls being the
mother of necessity.

Old March 9th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Curtis L. Russell

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 20:38:41 GMT, "nash"
wrote:

You forget, insurance on a pleasure vehicle or recreation which is what it
is, is alot less than for going to work. Maybe 1/5 lets say. They are
using the wrong tool for the job hahahahahah

Christ, I said I wouldn't post, but I have to make this final comment,
because this is so typical of your posts. First, Bill B posits that
the vehicle would be used for short local trips. I do the math
assuming that there would be a lot of local trips. Then you say ' not
if they are used for 80% of the trips', such as going to work. Still
doesn't make it work, but fine, I don't expect you to be able to work
the math.

Then you make the above comment. This is like the 'brakes didn't
work', 'the brakes are adjusted well' stuff. I no longer expect you to
live in the our world - your math is different, your brakes work
differently, even the basic physics works differently - but you should
try to make that little world you do live in more consistent.

And this IS the last reply directed toward that little world of yours.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...